myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo fun and games
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Leo fun and games Reply with quote

Saturday was hectic, lots of windsurfers, kiters and a couple of yo-yo's in a kayak fishing in the slot.

A windsurfer was slammed by a kiter - a full on body check. Two other windsurfers nearly collided on a wave.

Let's try and be safe out there.
theq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for some reason the kiters seemed a bit peskier than normal. There was a swarm of them that hung around for a while. Maybe a little dab of DEET behind the ears will keep them away? I heard about the body-check. Yipes!

Conversely, the overwhelming majority of windsurfers were quite cool out there yesterday. I had two guys pull out from catching waves after seeing I was in them already. Truth be told, I also had one kiter give way on another wave. Thanks guys. Very Happy

I don't know what those fisherman were thinking. But, I'll bet I know what they were eating for dinner. Big Macs would be my guess. Confused
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you thought yesterday was chaotic, you should have been there today!

Who got slammed? Was he at fault?
rowena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd trade 10 kayak/fishermen for one kiter. The ones at Leo today seemed to have no common sense, no water sense, no idea what they are doing. No idea who was behind them before they turned. It seems like they are just constantly showing off, jumping in the waves for the crowd. It seems there is no limit to human arrogance and hubris.

Crying or Very sad
rowena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops...I have to add a caveat...

Except George...Saw him out there and he was cool...

Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know though, Leo was fun on the outside today, at least considering the no wind torment we've all had to endure more lately. Nothing stellar, but still some reasonable drive at times. I like the area high on the western most beach, because its got some more open wind swell and the crowd was super light. Sometimes the downwinder is great, but not really notable today.

Still though, I think most folks got a good fix today, despite the kiters. Hey, I didn't think that they were really too problematic in the scheme of things. Of course, I wasn't hanging on the small waves on the inside, so maybe things were more tenuous and anxious overall close to shore.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On days like that I forsake the occasional mushy 4 ft wave and stay downwind. As SW pointed out, the outside is pretty fun. I have to say the the kiters I crossed paths with were pretty aware and would raise their kites to neutral when passing by but there were just so dang many of them! That really is a small area to try and fit that many people.
rowena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us stood on the shore for a minute, watching a couple of kiters jumping in the surf, close to families swimming, surfers, windsurfers. Never seen them around, so perhaps they are new to Leo and don't know that was NOT cool. Too many little kids in the shallow water to be doing that.

Sad
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowena wrote:
Some of us stood on the shore for a minute, watching a couple of kiters jumping in the surf, close to families swimming, surfers, windsurfers. Never seen them around, so perhaps they are new to Leo and don't know that was NOT cool. Too many little kids in the shallow water to be doing that.

Sad

I wrote to John Regan who is the supervising Lifeguard for the Malibu district concerning this activity and his response was to report any unsafe activity to an on-duty lifeguard. Here is his email if you would like to contact him: jregan@parks.ca.gov.
gwilstein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think the supervising lifeguard on duty would have some sense of impending danger and move the kiters downwind from the kelp and rock zone.

They also need to enforce their ruling of having the kiters launch and land further down in the bay rather than just past the staircase.
Kathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: