myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long Island sailing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraeva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Long Island sailing Reply with quote

I just moved to Long Island, and trying to discover local spots. This is turing out to be a huge pain, as there may to many rules and regulations. All the town beaches, all the beaches not for sailors, pass for this, pass for that... I mean, how did the fisherman get the exclusive access directly to the beach?! And for their access to say there is no windsurfing there?! (seems like that puts Demo point, Sore Thumb and Cedar beach out of commission)

This has happened before, and there is a solution. In the 90s Oregon was getting that too. The orchard people didn't like the sailors around, and were coming up with rules to displace them. Oregon, a state with no rules, was starting to become like NY (where it seems like you can spit anywhere without violating something, or having to pay something) This is where the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association formed, and became a powerful force to protect our right. It became a powerful lobby group for local and state government, and fought for access, beaches, and freedom to sail. But they also coordinate competitions, built the Event Site, have swap meets, events, etc. I think we should organize as well to solve these problems on Long Island as well.

Sasha
Frank4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Access is not much of an issue in fall, winter, and spring. That is the windy season anyway. The summer tourist season can be a bit of a pain.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franks right. From Memorial Day to Labor day we're getting killed by rules and regulations, but there IS a beach that not only you can windsurf at, but you can't swim, fish or pretty much do anything but windsurf. Come down to Heckscher. The wind is also typically stronger there than on the ocean during June and July anyway. The rest of the year, when it gets really windy, you can easily get out to Demo and the Ocean Sites, and also get into all the North Shore spots without a town pass. For the summer, come work on your freestyle with us at Heckscher.

I would imagine that getting things done towards windsurfing in the Gorge would be a totally different beast. In the Gorge the windsurfers make up a large portion of the population, where in NY the ones making the rules may have never even seen a windsurfer.
wheaties

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: check the puffin's site Reply with quote

You should take a look at the Peconic Puffin's website:

http://peconicpuffin.typepad.com/the_peconic_puffin/2006/12/windsurfing_pec.html

Not only is it a map of places to go but also describes each launching site. Fantastic resource.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mewindsurf wrote:
Franks right.

Mike's right (about Frank, and many other things). My perspective is:

1. There are some places to sail in the summer (Hecksher mid-island, and out east you can sail Napeague if you park a few hundred yards down the road, Sebonac Inlet with no problem, and some other spots, but

2. As previously stated, Fall-Spring is when Long Island gets good (and great)!

If you're not already, you should join the Yahoo Long Island Windsurfing Forum, which is a good place to learn what's going on (with a mid-island emphasis.) For windsurfing further east, you could do worse (in theory) than reading the Peconic Puffin blog (that would be mine). Lastly, you should get to know the windsurfing shop Windsurfing Hamptons, and its owner, Jon Ford. He's a great source of information (and gear).

kraeva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mewindsurf wrote:
Franks right. From Memorial Day to Labor day we're getting killed by rules and regulations, but there IS a beach that not only you can windsurf at, but you can't swim, fish or pretty much do anything but windsurf. Come down to Heckscher. The wind is also typically stronger there than on the ocean during June and July anyway. The rest of the year, when it gets really windy, you can easily get out to Demo and the Ocean Sites, and also get into all the North Shore spots without a town pass. For the summer, come work on your freestyle with us at Heckscher.

I would imagine that getting things done towards windsurfing in the Gorge would be a totally different beast. In the Gorge the windsurfers make up a large portion of the population, where in NY the ones making the rules may have never even seen a windsurfer.

The majority of residents in Hood River are not sailors, they are orchard owners. Most sailors there are tourists, of which canucks dominate. They are the nicest people, but the locals still don't want them around. The CGWA really protect the freedoms. And to me first and foremost, it seems like a lot of freedoms are taken away here. As an example, I love sailing the waves, and I just can't find a spot that's not regulated. Why should we limit ourselves only to off season as well?

I realize that Heckscher is a nice spot, and I have been there a couple of times already! Its nice! (I never sailed in weeds before, but the swell towards Fire Island was good!) but I would also love to check out Demo, and Cedar Beach. The guide on PeconicPuffin make it sound really fun! but I am not a fisherman. Does the four wheel drive restriction stop in the fall and spring as well? How do you get in there? Because the posting that I saw demand these permits, and checking into those permits, they specifically state there is no windsurfing allowed...

I realize I am new to the community, and that I don't know all the in-and-outs. Maybe I just have not figured it out yet. Long Island seems to have a lot of potential though, and on first impression it all seems to be locked out by loads of bureaucracy. With things like that CGWA really helped. Think of it, what if we could lobby with different towns for a windsurfing pass? or to allow windsurfing on the four wheel drive, fishing only beaches? Think if it, when you come to the Gorge, its easy to just find spots and start sailing. Why can't it be like that here?

anyway, I guess once I get more familiar with places, I won't feel as frustrated.
kraeva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you guys! I have joined the Long Island Windsurfing Yahoo group, and have been checking out the Peconic website. Its a really cool resource, and I love the map!

I guess if people are going out, especially to the ocean waves, I would appreciate a holler! Maybe I just need some insider's intro
pete1111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kraeva
Don't worry we will get you out in the ocean.Don't sail Demo on your own the fist few times, it's tide dependent and if you should break down you can get sucked out to sea in a hurry.
Just read the posts on yahoo.
Pete
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraeva wrote:

I guess if people are going out, especially to the ocean waves, I would appreciate a holler! Maybe I just need some insider's intro

Consider coming east if the wind is blowing ENE, E, or ESE. Ponquogue (any tide from low to mid) is our favorite spot, along with the Bowl one mile east of Ponquogue (which works in all tides if there's decent swell). A parking pass is "required" at Ponquogue Memorial Day-Labor Day but unless you're there on a sunny nearly light wind weekend day nobody checks. Road L and Tiana work on SW and are easy access. Cupsogue can be fantastic on SW, but 4WD is required (as well as a pass to drive on the beach)

For any wind direction there's always a good place to sail that's accessible, once you learn the ropes. In a few spots you need to pay for a summer season pass. But saying Long Island has "potential" is (I say this as a new friend) silly...there's always someplace great to sail. Let's talk a year from now...we can debate our favorite LI spots!

wstt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am just moving to NY (NYC), but from Chicago where I sail mostly Lake Michigan and on my yearly trips to Maui.

I'd also like to get some wave sailing in, but can't figure out which places are best for which directions and conditions. In my past wave sailing, I have never really had to deal much with tides which I guess can make things a lot more complicated. If someone could give me the heads up if a good wave day is coming up and where to go, I'd really appreciate it.

Also any general tips on sailing sites, wind directions, wind meters, or links would be greatly appreciated. It's the little tips that take years to figure out that make certain sailing spots much better. (eg In Chicago I know a wind meter on the lake that updates ever 5 minutes, and usually is about 5 knots higher than what we see on the water, when the air and water are the same temp. With certain readings, I also know not to even bother driving to the beach even though it looks windy.)

What are the typical conditions when it is good (ex 5.0 or 7.5, 80 liter or 120 liter, Temp 75 or 45, gusty, heavy shore break...?)

I see iWindsurf says SSW for Saturday building to 22 knots for the Peconic Bay.

Thanks

Ted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: