myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long Island sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

Complete answers to your questions would take about 40 pages to answer (we have at least 50 sailable spots), so here's what I recommend you do:

1. Join the Yahoo Long Island windsurfing forum, and
2. read my blog from time to time (much less important) at peconicpuffin.com. You'll find links to every source of info on LI windsurfing, wind, water, weather etc there. Also some stories. You may want to poke around the map (which is far from perfect, but it's a start, and has information on sailing directions for wind at most launches:
http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2006/12/windsurfing_pec.html

By participating in the forum you'll very quickly learn when conditions promise to be best, and where most people are headed to windsurf (ie the best spots for the conditions on any given day.)

Here is a vast oversimplification of what we get on LI: Fall/winter and spring guys 200lbs and under are on sails from mid 5's to mid 3's, and get sailable conditions on average perhaps three days per week. There is no predicting it. Summertime we can get anything, but it's generally lighter. I'm a 165lb guy and have sails from 3.4 to 7.0. Some guys go much bigger on their sails. We sail year-round. You'll probably want to keep your iWIndsurf subscription, as it's the easiest way to track the most meters.

When you get here let everyone know in the Yahoo group, and you'll have more invitiations to come sail with people than you'll be able to handle. You're not going to go wave sailing here alone (unless you're crazy...it's a bad idea) and there's always a few people if not more sailing, so let those people be your guide. I sail with guys who focus on east end spots (Cupsogue, Tiana, Road L, Ponquogue, the Bowl, Ditch Plains) and there are lots of guys in the Yahoo group who are Demo focused (a spot I still aspire to sail.)

In any event, you won't need years to figure out what to do...Long Island windsurfers are plentiful, knowledgeable, friendly and many!

btw put Columbus Day weekend on your calendar for a local windsurfing event...the organizers of the annual East Coast Windsurfing Festival (every June at Heckscher) just announced a Fall Regatta that will have racing, freestyle, SUP stuff...the works. It will be VERY casual and friendly, and a great opportunity to meet lots of your new neighbors. Details are on http://www.peconicpuffin.com

Take care, and looking forward to meeting you when you get here,

Michael

wstt wrote:
I also am just moving to NY (NYC), but from Chicago where I sail mostly Lake Michigan and on my yearly trips to Maui.

I'd also like to get some wave sailing in, but can't figure out which places are best for which directions and conditions. In my past wave sailing, I have never really had to deal much with tides which I guess can make things a lot more complicated. If someone could give me the heads up if a good wave day is coming up and where to go, I'd really appreciate it.

Also any general tips on sailing sites, wind directions, wind meters, or links would be greatly appreciated. It's the little tips that take years to figure out that make certain sailing spots much better. (eg In Chicago I know a wind meter on the lake that updates ever 5 minutes, and usually is about 5 knots higher than what we see on the water, when the air and water are the same temp. With certain readings, I also know not to even bother driving to the beach even though it looks windy.)

What are the typical conditions when it is good (ex 5.0 or 7.5, 80 liter or 120 liter, Temp 75 or 45, gusty, heavy shore break...?)

I see iWindsurf says SSW for Saturday building to 22 knots for the Peconic Bay.

Thanks

Ted

kraeva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

Consider coming east if the wind is blowing ENE, E, or ESE. Ponquogue (any tide from low to mid) is our favorite spot, along with the Bowl one mile east of Ponquogue (which works in all tides if there's decent swell). A parking pass is "required" at Ponquogue Memorial Day-Labor Day but unless you're there on a sunny nearly light wind weekend day nobody checks. Road L and Tiana work on SW and are easy access. Cupsogue can be fantastic on SW, but 4WD is required (as well as a pass to drive on the beach)

For any wind direction there's always a good place to sail that's accessible, once you learn the ropes. In a few spots you need to pay for a summer season pass. But saying Long Island has "potential" is (I say this as a new friend) silly...there's always someplace great to sail. Let's talk a year from now...we can debate our favorite LI spots!

Thank you so much for the info! Yes, maybe once I get the know the place better, I am sure I will feel better!!

I have not had a chance to check out the east sites. But I need to! Your website is a great resource, and so far between you and iWindsurf I have had plenty of info. just couldn't get into some of the spots javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad')

The places that you mention, they are all town beaches? Can I get into any of them being an Islip resident? And why do you say it is so dangerous here to go ocean sailing by yourself? Is it because of the currents and the tides?

Greatfull
sasha
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraeva wrote:

The places that you mention, they are all town beaches? Can I get into any of them being an Islip resident? And why do you say it is so dangerous here to go ocean sailing by yourself? Is it because of the currents and the tides?

Some are town beaches, some (like Road L) I believe are just cuts through the sand next to the road. Your Islip residency will not get you the local price on a beach pass should you need one (ie for summer sailing at Ponquogue.) I don't know what the nonresident pass price is (it's $30 for residents) but I've only needed it perhaps one session in ten at Ponquogue (they sell them there) and I've never needed a pass at any other location.

Re sailing alone in the ocean, I think it's dangerous because s*** happens. I've never run into a current situation, though Demo is said to be a bad place to break down during an outgoing tide:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2008/06/almost-lost-at-demo-the-mike-dabaker-story.html

Be safe...sail with people. There's no shortage on windy days!

wstt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info. I've got a lot to figure out. A few more quick questions.

Do you find iWindsurf's meteogram forecasts pretty reliable for the area and the best forecast to look at?

I know it's tough to say, but when iWindsurf calls for 17 or 18knots does that normally end up being like 5.7 or is that more often 6.5, or 7.5?

Coming from NYC, I'll have to kind of commit ahead of time, based on the forecast as getting my gear and car all ready to go will take some planning, so I'm trying to figure out what a good gauge and good cut off for the iWindsurf forecast relative to sail size.

That Demo story is quite a story. I've now got images in my mind of hopefully not what it's going to be like when I sail here. I'm glad to hear everything ended up OK.

Thanks.
Ted
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ted,

For forecasting, it's never good to only look at one spot. Iwindsurf's forecasting, for heckscher anyway, is lacking to say the least. I don't even bother to look at it anymore. What Iwindsurf is great for is to see what's going on now as there are meters all over the place to get an idea of what's happening. I usually look at windfinder, and NOAA first, then if I'm not sure I'll use iwindsurf as a tie breaker. As for the meteograms, they are kind of ok for the fall and winter, but they don't account for spring and summer time thermals. They are almost always lower than what the wind will be. For the general rules on Forecasting for Hekcsher check here: http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2009/05/how-to-forecast-hecksher.html

See you on the next windy day,

Mike
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wstt wrote:
Thanks for all the great info. I've got a lot to figure out. A few more quick questions.

Do you find iWindsurf's meteogram forecasts pretty reliable for the area and the best forecast to look at?

I know it's tough to say, but when iWindsurf calls for 17 or 18knots does that normally end up being like 5.7 or is that more often 6.5, or 7.5?

Are you from a mystical land where the forecasts are accurate and dependable?

Smile

Sometimes iWindsurf overcalls it, sometimes they undercall it, and sometimes they're spot on. You will be disappointed, and you will be overpowered, following the forecasts and sailing on Long Island.

Generally speaking if they're calling for 20+ you can count on sailing. Heckscher in the summer is its own animal...see Mike Burns' note above, and his considerable wisdom about Heckscher that is posted on the Peconic Puffin website. Summertime it's your best bet to sail

kraeva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

Re sailing alone in the ocean, I think it's dangerous because s*** happens. I've never run into a current situation, though Demo is said to be a bad place to break down during an outgoing tide:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2008/06/almost-lost-at-demo-the-mike-dabaker-story.html

Be safe...sail with people. There's no shortage on windy days!

That's a nightmare story! I had one or two of those... The last one being at the Hatchery in HR. Which left me not coming back there for a while... never fun. Those happen anywhere, so I definitely appreciate the safety in numbers.

So for the south shore beaches do you need four wheel drive vehicles to get off the road to the beach? And for that one needs the fishing permit?
Frank4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many ocean spots you do not need a 4x4. You can park and rig in the parking lot and carry your rig and board to the water. A county parks sticker can get you 4x4 access to some other beaches.

Ocean sailing days are rare in the summer unless you have big sails or a long board. Spring/Fall/Winter will have many chances to use 5.8 and smaller sails. Traffic is light and access is generally no problem.

Ocean sailing on L.I. can get very good at times, but the windsurfing in all the different bays is still the core of my season, with some wavesailing when the conditions present themselves. I seem to get on the ocean most during strong E/ENE winds, combined with rain usually. Sometimes a nice WSW wind can bring the rare combo of sun, wind, and wavesailing. I think to really get the most out of windsurfing L.I. you must consider it a cool/cold weather sport. Anything you get in the summer is just a bonus.

It will get MUCH better soon, July and August are the worst.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraeva wrote:

So for the south shore beaches do you need four wheel drive vehicles to get off the road to the beach? And for that one needs the fishing permit?

Out east it's like this:

Cupsogue: 4WD only
Tiana, Road L, Ponquogue: Short walk with gear to the beach, though people with 4WD usually drive out.
The Bowl, Ditch Plains: Short walk.

I don't have 4WD, so I'm always doing the walk.

drysuit2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: