myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Camping in the Gorge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
30knotwind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker Park, managed by Hood River county is the best for a 'Hood River' experience: about 5 miles south of town, 15 minutes, on the Hood River--beautiful campsites--hot showers, no trains, no bridge tolls for breakfast, dining, night life and sailing in Hood River, i.e. event site, the Hook.
Map to Tucker park

The utilitarian option is the Bridge RV park immediately across the river: closest camping to the major places in the gorge, Hood River, the Hatchery White Salmon River, Doug's Beach. But, it is nothing fabulous and train horns will be right on top of you. map to Bridge RV

The closest 'free' camping anyone will tell you about, because it is obvious, is Rufus below the John Day dam, but it is ~45 minutes east of HR, with trains, no showers and a pit toilet--but hey, at least there is a toilet. Map of Rufus camping

Other state campgrounds not far from Hood River are Viento, Or; Home Valley, WA; Memaloose, OR; Sherwood campground, OR (~40 minutes up the hwy to Mt. Hood on the Hood River)

Have fun!
tombrady3841

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I camped Tucker for many nights in different years. I always pack my stuff with me, there were rumors of things missing when you come back. The last couple of hosts seemed to be good and drive around and check up on things. The river sounds good at night. The gun shots in the morning are the alarm clock for the dawn patrol. There is some kind of firing range nearby. It can be a littler toasty there for the gorge winds don't seem to run down the Hood river. I believe also stayed at Toll Bridge park but it's farther, but good.
T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: