myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Most Direct Route from SF Bay to Gorge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Most Direct Route from SF Bay to Gorge Reply with quote

Leaving for 10 days in the Gorge next week. Taking the van. I recall running into Brad Duffy some years back in the Delta, who'd just driven down from the Gorge. He made it in 10 hours, which I was impressed by. He told me of some route he took that saved time. I didn't write it down. Now I wish I had.

For those of you who commute between here and there, what is your best/favorite way to go? I'd likely consider exploring the coast, but I have the kids with me and the room is booked - So, I just want the fastest way to Hood River.

Thanks!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route was probably hwy 97. But, if you are going to HR, you can't beat I-5 to PDX then 84 to HR.
stilladdicted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: fastest route? Reply with quote

HI,

The best answer is 'it depends'. I make that trip 2X a year for the past 10 years. If you leave the bay area between 9pm and 4am - you can bust up I-5 and make it to the mouth of the gorge in ~ 9-10 hours. You said kids, right, OK, so factor in some piss stops and food.

Hwy 97 - pulling a trailer, or back when I was in a vanagon, 97 was the route. I think it's more direct, but obviously, between small towns, 2 lane road, Oregon cops that are pretty hostile toward california plates, you have to have a reason to go this way.

Ah, but back in the day...sail at the stick, drive up, pull off the road north of redmond, wake up early, sail on the gorge by 0700, get some breakfast sail again, and go visit Mom...... sigh....

Enjoy.

Oh...btw....the coastal route is the best for kids. Check out Bandon, there is an exotic animal zoo - all cubs and kittens. You're kids can hold a lynx kitten. The sand doons in the northern coast, also great, but it will all take time from your sailing...choices....

Mike
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most direct route is to take the the split at Weed at go up the 97. It's about 60-70 miles shorter than the I5 to PDX route, but you have to drive slower b/c the roads are only two lane, windier, and the speed limit is lower (and I've gotten pulled over). I find driving times to be on par w/ each other to HR, but it's faster to get to the sailing sites east of town if you go up the 97.

If I was driving through the night, I'd take I-5. If I was driving through the day, I'd take 97. The nice thing about the interior route is that you can choose to head straight out east if you want. I think there is a turnoff in Madras, OR where the 197 and 97 split. One goes to Mt. Hood and one goes to the Maryhill Bridge.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Easiest way to the gorge ! Reply with quote

Just my two cents,
I like to go 97 because the grades are not as steep and a lot less big rigs . There are big rigs but most know the road real well and don't ever seem to get in the way. You can get to peach beach /the wall in 10 hours 12 if your in a r/v. I-5 has a lot more traffic ,big rigs and Portland/ I-84 traffic and steeper grades,Ashland grade. Have fun !

V the wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.97 KB
 Viewed:  17899 Time(s)

V the wall.jpg

windsurfer_nut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest way to the gorge ! Reply with quote

2bluehawaiins wrote:
Just my two cents,
I like to go 97 because the grades are not as steep and a lot less big rigs . There are big rigs but most know the road real well and don't ever seem to get in the way. You can get to peach beach /the wall in 10 hours 12 if your in a r/v. I-5 has a lot more traffic ,big rigs and Portland/ I-84 traffic and steeper grades,Ashland grade. Have fun !

Nice setup....farther down the road there is a shade trees and a lagoon.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, my preference is for Interstate 5 and 84. It might be longer distance wise, but the larger size of the road really makes things far less less stressful. Also, 97 requires you drive through every town on the way, with the varied speed limits and countless traffic signals. A lot like driving up hwy 101 to Oregon.

I did 97 once on the way back, so I got the experience I need to discern my current preference. Interstate 5 may lack on sightseeing opportunities, but I find it's the way to go.

From my perspective, having kids in the car only makes Interstate 5 seem much more attractive. For a 10 day trip, the kids will have plenty of opportunities in the Gorge for fun and interest.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest way to the gorge ! Reply with quote

windsurfer_nut wrote:
2bluehawaiins wrote:
Just my two cents,

Nice setup....farther down the road there is a shade trees and a lagoon.

I think they closed the road past the first pullouts at the wall?
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Direct Route from SF Bay to Gorge Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
...I have the kids with me...

are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? Laughing
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southwest from Oaktown. Leave Friday 12:30, arrive at Dougs at 430. see ya there!
Boggsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: