myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Most Direct Route from SF Bay to Gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can understand your hurry, but consider taking the forecasts into account. Wouldn't it be a shame to blow by all that incredible scenery, and probably some windy sailing spots, only to arrive at the Gorge on the first day of a long, dead, heat wave? They can last a week, while the coast can be going off and is marvelous fun even with no wind.

Mike \m/
tsokat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing a 10 day trip myself with a buddy of mine later this month and we are hoping to include some time on the coast and in the Gorge. We are bringing the windsurfing gear and mountain bikes. Does anyone have any experience driving on long stretches of 101 in Oregon? How slow is the going? I know the scenery would be incredible and there is some great windsurfing in places like Pistol River if you hit them at the right time.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done the coast of Oregon, it's a real treat, especially if the wind cooperates. Very dynamic scenery when the weather is clear, but a bit dismal if the coast is covered with low clouds and fog. So it's important to know a bit more about the weather forecast before venturing there.

One year we hit Pistol River at the right time, and we hung out in the Pistol River/Gold Beach area for 5 days of our trip to the Gorge and got some excellent sailing in. However, if your thought would be covering a lot of distance, Hwy 101 is fairly slow going. Still though, your can cut across back to Interstate 5 at quite a few points if you want to get back on the fast track, and the distance typically averages about 50-60 miles, or maybe an hour and a half driving time.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have driven 101 'til we're blue in the face. It's fun in a sports car with no fear of the law, a major PITA otherwise. But there's so DAMNED much to see and do along most of it that you'll be stopping often anyway. The Oregon Coast guide books tell you what there is to eat and see and do every tenth of a mile so you can choose when to bust your chops passing every motor home vs when to just follow it for the next 4.6 miles.

Fortunately, any vehicle is required by OR (and WA) law to pull over and let people pass if more than three vehicles pile up behind them. Unfortunately, many lamebrains refuse to do so and cops don't enforce it as they should.

A word of advice: don't do what my NM buds Joe and Mike did one year. They were so hell-bent on going to the Gorge that halfway through their 100-degree, 1,300-mile drive to the Gorge they blasted right by a 50-sq-mile lake averaging 40 mph all day, with good swell plus a great launch and campground.

That was the only wind they saw on their entire trip.

Mike \m/
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, SW and Isobars. Since this will not be a family trip, we will be able to be flexible and adapt to the forecast at the time of departure. If the Gorge is looking good, we will probably go there directly. If it is locked in a heat wave, I think we'll head to Pistol/Gold Beach and maybe up to Florence via 101 and then maybe cut over to I5 to 84 if and when conditions in the Gorge improve.
harris52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerritt,

You have kids, so I'd take 5 or 101. 97 won't be faster unless you are going out east, whereas you will be stuck in the very hot desert w/ no cell coverage and very few travelers if you break down north of bend. 101 has lots of great stuff for both kids and sailing: redwood forest in CA, bandon (zoo, sailing, horseback riding), pistol river, newport (aquarium), florence. The entire coast around there is stunningly beautiful. There are innumerable potential stops for both you and the kids especially if you have a surfboard too. But it will take a few hours extra.

I-5 has squat in terms of cool places to stop (Ashland!?), 97 has Crater Lake. I'd only take 97 if I were going to stop at CL or going out east. If there is a benefit to taking 97 to the corridor, it's negligable and I'd bet you can make up for it by adding a couple mph on 5 anyway.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris , 97 also has the DeChutes brewery in Bend, stop for a few Black Butte's, and roll.
Boggman
harris52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggs, true.

I've spent many a summer as a kid at Sunriver in Bend. Haven't been back, but I always loved it. Rafting there is excellent and if memory serves, there should be some other fun things to be done out there with kids. Three Sisters, Deschutes River, some lakes, old volcanic activity, hot springs, etc. Fun can be found if you're not dependent on sailing 100% of your time away.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Bay Area to/from Gorge travel Reply with quote

Bay Area to/from Gorge travel-

Can anyone comment on taking a airline flight up there?
Just bring wetsuit/harness and rent board/rig?
Best airline/baggage policy if you want to lug more equipment?
Any other thoughts, comments, experiences, rants/raves about quick trips up and back?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Area to/from Gorge travel Reply with quote

SwellRipper wrote:
Any other thoughts, comments, experiences, rants/raves about quick trips up and back?

Yup: skunks.

Contrary to rumor, it doesn't blow anything NEAR every day. If it did, I would get near a computer between April and November.

THAT ought to motivate everyone here to Pray For Wind.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: