myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Floras Lake Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnrunner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Floras Lake Questions Reply with quote

As I've mentioned in another post, my family and I are going to the Oregon Coast on vacation. Originally I was planning on driving though the Gorge both ways and spending a couple days each way windsurfing. However I am now thinking about driving out through Northern Nevada and then into Southern Oregon and hitting Floras Lake on the way out. My wife and kids are total beginners and I am just learning to get in the foot straps. It sounds like Floras Lake might be a better place for beginners than Hood River. The concern I have is if the wind is reliable and the gear and instructors would be fairly close to what we would get in Hood River. Is the wind pretty reliable there? Is the rental gear as good as what we would get in Hood River? And finally, are the instructors at Floras Lake good? I am probably going to take a lesson or two and my 12 year old son will probably take a lesson. Am I going to get good quality instruction like I would in the Gorge. Floras Lake is appealing because it sounds like a great beginner spot and the rental gear is right on the beach. Also it sounds like a campground is right off the beach. Regardless if we spend the first few days at Floras Lake or not we will still be spending a couple days in Hood River on the way home. So I will still get to sail in the Gorge but not for as many days. Thanks for the advice, this message board has been great.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Floras. Definitely check the forecast. On a windy day, AM is good for beginners, PM for you. The equipment is a little old, but lots of small rigs and big boards for beginners. I would call ahead to make sure someone can help set you up with the best rigs and get them properly adjusted. Take your own booms if you have them, or at least a set of mono harness lines. Most of the money is going into kite gear. Can't blame them, as that is the "in" thing right now. BTW, the kiters mostly stay at the north end of the lake; they aren't in your way. Warm, shallow water, and smooooth even with lots of wind. Great for working on your jibes. Can't comment on HR; haven't been there in a while.
dolack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floras lake will be great for you and your family! Do it!
it is totally user friendly and fun...equipment and instruction always great but it has been a few years. Plus it is so pretty there.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty? You call this pretty?

DSCN0619.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.49 KB
 Viewed:  9097 Time(s)

DSCN0619.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: