myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo fun and games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy, I'm so with you on this. I can't imagine a lifeguard watching the chaos and not wanting to intervene, for everyone's safety. Separating the surfers and windsurfers with the buoys has worked pretty well. The kiters need their own cordoned off "zone".

Two kiters jumping in the surf zone is just insanely dangerous, and if someone gets hurt, my fear is that they will ban everyone, including windsurfers.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwilstein wrote:
You would think the supervising lifeguard on duty would have some sense of impending danger and move the kiters downwind from the kelp and rock zone.

They also need to enforce their ruling of having the kiters launch and land further down in the bay rather than just past the staircase.
Kathy

I proposed that very solution to Mr. Regan and he said it would be discussed the next Lifeguard meeting. Not sure how much consideration it was given.
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Aloha! Reply with quote

Damn, it's nice to be home! Two weeks of kiter/WS peace and love in Maui almost had me convinced that kiters CAN be rational, intelligent human beings capable of common sense and aloha... well "aloha" to that idea! We are the laughing stock of the entire W/S world. When people in Maui found out I was from Leo, whoopta, the questions started flying... "man is it in the water, too much smog, too many Starbucks, too many deer on the Secret Road?" We should all be getting royalties from I/WS for "Days of Our Sails." And when they spotted the Da Kine line knife most of us are now packing, yeehaw! I just can't wait to sail Leo... Home Sweet Home! Da Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome home Bull! Hope you got some good sailing in.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be too difficult here, but it's only fate that we will be sailing with kiters in the future. I sail a lot a C Street, where kiters are all over it, and their numbers greatly exceed ours. Generally though, everything works out remarkable well.

For you folks at Leo, I'd recommend caution. Getting the authorities involved in our world isn't alway pretty or predictable.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
... Getting the authorities involved in our world isn't alway pretty or predictable.

If I am not mistaken kiters are banned from Cabrillo beach on weekends?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
swchandler wrote:
... Getting the authorities involved in our world isn't alway pretty or predictable.

Yes, this draconian remedy wouldn't be implemented at Leo, but sw has a point. We must tread lightly when involving the law.

ps we used to be able to sail at zeros until the kiters showed up there!
allen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
swchandler wrote:

Kiters are banned weekends Mem. thru Labor Day but the beach is super crowed compared to Leo.........
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo Carillo:

Jagged Rocks and razor sharp sea shells.
Shitty conditions 364 days out of the year.
Ridiculous traffic on PCH!
Gang-Bangers and drive-by shootings.
Light Winds and kelp + sea grass.

Is there a place lamer ?????????????

I DON"T THINK SO!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drive from Leo back to Santa Barbara on Sunday included this huge emergency event at the Point Mugu area. What an incredible circus of events. Everyone was there. Tragedy is always a magnet for eager viewers.

I have to say that my earlier drive on Sunday down to the Rice turn off was super congested and slow. Usually though, the later Hwy 1 drive along the Malibu coast is a piece of toast, as it was on my way down on Sunday to Leo after the turn off from 101. No doubt, lots of motorcycle action around Neptune's Net on the weekends, but that's to be expected.

Frankly, I'm glad that most LA folks channel their efforts down 101 to their homes located in the greater LA area. Summer weekends can be nuts with the flow from back and forth from LA, and sadly, I have to use some of the same road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: