myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dougs was going off yesterday 4/12 Post some pics please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sissybar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Don't be a @#$%^&* kook and run into a downed sailor in the water. We are taking enough risk as it is, please respect us and don't sail into a looping frenzy unless you can control yourself and your gear."

I am sure the "looper" is pissed and has a right to be but his comments really come across poorly in print.

Freestylers have no more claim to river than anyone else. Quite frankly you would think that the loopers would isolate themselves for their own safety.

If the looper could sail out of his loop by landing cleanly and sailing out at a full plane then this accident could have been avoided. That would require great skill.

Congestion = danger.

Sorry it happened.
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have a right to the river from beginner to expert. Us experts should be able to identify the beginners and know to keep our distance. Us experts can just as easily sail up or down wind when it's too crowed or windy. There is no reason why us experts need to sail right out in front of the launch and if we do we have to realize that that is also where the beginners sail and we have to be alert because we have more control. Sail and let sail. We've all been beginners.
blythefly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlightlySalty wrote:
We all have a right to the river from beginner to expert. Us experts should be able to identify the beginners and know to keep our distance. Us experts can just as easily sail up or down wind when it's too crowed or windy. There is no reason why us experts need to sail right out in front of the launch and if we do we have to realize that that is also where the beginners sail and we have to be alert because we have more control. Sail and let sail. We've all been beginners.

Good point. As someone who was pushing the edge of my skill and comfort envelope - IMHO mostly because I didn't have a smaller sail - I was hanging close to the launch site because I was a little concerned that if it got any windier, I'd have a hard time getting back to the launch.

I disagree with the "experts only here" attitude because the only way I'm going to get better is to try and even flail a little in places that challenge me. Especially when it's easy to find a place that's not crowded. There was plenty of room for everyone on Sunday.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, both sides of this story are a little comical.

I like high wind, it keeps the riffraff off the water, just
like steep treed slopes keep the riffraff out of my favorite
places to ski. Maybe that's elitist, but they don't have any fun
with the conditions anyway.

But no one should be run down in the water, c'mon. I don't care
how bad (or good) you are, that just ain't right.

And now for an anecdote. A couple of years ago I was at Doug's
on a standard 4.2 day , so not particularly windy with a helmet cam.
I landed a jump poorly got pitched, and snapped my boom clamp
in the swell zone. So the slow swim in ensues, while I'm swimming in
This guy keeps buzzing me and telling me no one can see me. You
can tell he's irritated with me. Finally I wiggle my boom at him and he
realizes I'm broken, and his whole demeanor changes, in one glance
I go from some dick shooting video in a dangerous place to a wounded
comrade.

Perception, it's an interesting phenomena.

-Craig
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

But no one should be run down in the water, c'mon. I don't care
how bad (or good) you are, that just ain't right.

Perception, it's an interesting phenomena.

-Craig

Of course no one should be run down, but accidents happen. I was also struck at the Hatch the day before. No one got hurt, I had a ding in my board. That's life, that's part of the risk we take to sail right out in front of everyone. Now if someone runs someone down on purpose, well, than it's ass kicking time. But we don't do that. We have accidents. In my case, I think it was the other guys fault but I didn't chase him down and try and get him to repair my board. I wanted to make sure he was ok and that's that, we both enjoyed the rest of the day, me with a new sticker on my board.
Be nice to the beginners. They are part of any sport.
Anyone that has sailed at a crowed wave spot knows we have it good here.
griffinlj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hotshot assholes! Get over the fact that dorks screw up your sailing. The guy is jerk for hitting you and maybe you should sue him, But if you know that dorks are mowing the lawn in conditions that are beyond their skill level, then YOU should not sail that day. If your so good, go somewhere else and sail alone.

Those dorks have limited vacation time and spend the same money you do to sail. Stay the hell away from erratic and unpredictable sailors and quite whining.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can barely sail it's a great place to go. Can't you still land jibe on both sides???

I will remember that day.
Shocked
oodler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Doug's on Sunday Reply with quote

I too want chime in on the subject of safety. I'm not a lawnmower and enjoy carving up the swell and getting max air off ramps. But doing loops is not in the repertoire of my 56 year old body. But I digress. On Sunday at Doug's I was on a starboard tack when an approaching sailor threw a forward right in front of me. He went in the drink and I must have missed his head by inches. So please don't be greedy and/or stupid and keep a respectable distance and obey the right of way!
blythefly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the positive side, as a rule windsurfers are a very skilled bunch. Even in the most crowded launch sites, collisions are surprisingly rare. You'd think that a place like the Hatchery on a busy weekend would be a demolition derby! Cool
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that. I've sailed in the Gorge 17 years, with 2 collisions
neither of which damaged my body (much), but sometimes the Hackery
does feel like a demolition derby.

-Craig

blythefly wrote:
On the positive side, as a rule windsurfers are a very skilled bunch. Even in the most crowded launch sites, collisions are surprisingly rare. You'd think that a place like the Hatchery on a busy weekend would be a demolition derby! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: