myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dougs was going off yesterday 4/12 Post some pics please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottwerden

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Doug's on Sunday Reply with quote

oodler wrote:
I too want chime in on the subject of safety. I'm not a lawnmower and enjoy carving up the swell and getting max air off ramps. But doing loops is not in the repertoire of my 56 year old body. But I digress. On Sunday at Doug's I was on a starboard tack when an approaching sailor threw a forward right in front of me. He went in the drink and I must have missed his head by inches. So please don't be greedy and/or stupid and keep a respectable distance and obey the right of way!

I am totally with you on style and age, and I agree with your observation, but I cannot figure out why anyone even lets this become an issue. It seems that everyone insists on sailing in a narrow corridor that extends 50 yds up and down from the launch. At crowded sites that is the worst sort of sailing - constant vigilance for people crashed, looping, or flying, people playing chicken, having to bail on a wave face because of traffic, too many beginners, too much testosterone - it is all ugly. And on a nuclear day like last weekend, ROW goes out the windows since it is essentially marginally contained chaos on the river.

All the wave sites in the gorge have plenty of quality terrain upwind and downwind to carve on, and it is usually devoid of other sailors, so how come people do not spread out more? It is a mystery to me, but actually to my benefit since it means more virgin terrain for me.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on the matter.
windsurfer_nut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Doug's on Sunday Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:

I am totally with you on style and age, and I agree with your observation, but I cannot figure out why anyone even lets this become an issue. It seems that everyone insists on sailing in a narrow corridor that extends 50 yds up and down from the launch. At crowded sites that is the worst sort of sailing - constant vigilance for people crashed, looping, or flying, people playing chicken, having to bail on a wave face because of traffic, too many beginners, too much testosterone - it is all ugly. And on a nuclear day like last weekend, ROW goes out the windows since it is essentially marginally contained chaos on the river.

All the wave sites in the gorge have plenty of quality terrain upwind and downwind to carve on, and it is usually devoid of other sailors, so how come people do not spread out more? It is a mystery to me, but actually to my benefit since it means more virgin terrain for me.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on the matter.

It's being in view of the camera and the peeps onshore. and yes I am guilty sailing sometimes i want people to see me hitting 20ft airs trying to be Dale "the king" Cook like (i mean that w/ all respect Dale).
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its kinda like skiing under the chairlift, its a magnet for the EGOMANIAC.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Doug's on Sunday Reply with quote

Scott,

Shush!

-Craig

scottwerden wrote:

Bret

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard this on the North Shore of Maui, but it did not stop me. I will be at Dougs Beach. I surf a break in a cove North of Honolua Bay.
srr37

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griffinlj wrote:
if you know that dorks are mowing the lawn in conditions that are beyond their skill level, then YOU should not sail that day. If your so good, go somewhere else and sail alone.
Stay the hell away from erratic and unpredictable sailors and quite whining.

We all know the biggest swell is where the advanced sailors go big-
(middle of dougs, hatchery at the point)
We expect to get hit by flying gear from someone trying a triple...- not run down by noobers who cant turn.
sissybar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We expect to get hit by flying gear from someone trying a triple...- not run down by noobers who cant turn."

Really? I might be more pissed getting hit by flying junk rather than turning junk. Pain is pain. I expect not to get hit by anything except spray off the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: