myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Link to photos of the epic Hatchery day, Saturday July 11
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Link to photos of the epic Hatchery day, Saturday July 11 Reply with quote

A bit off topic for California sailors but since many Bay Area sailors were on the water take a look at the action as massive winds rock the Gorge.

Go to the link below for 3 pages of photos. Anyone who wants a high resolution copy mail me.

http://windnotes.com/hatchjuly11/index.html

Mike Godsey
mike@iwindsurf.com

WentWild.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.11 KB
 Viewed:  14148 Time(s)

WentWild.jpg

jse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! What size sails mostly?
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Then in the 35 knot lulls... Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Steve,

Since the iwindsurf.com forecast was for upper teen wind many people did not arrive until late. Just after dawn it was 5.2. By the time I arrived at noon I was rigging a 4.2. By the time I hit the water it was solid 3.7. Then it got really wind with gusts over 45 knots mid river.

Normal people were on 3.2s, for men, most women were blown off the water but a few incredible women sailors were on 2.5s. Most of the amazing sailors in the photos could still sail 3.7 but at times even the pros were just "mowing the lawn" partially sheeted out. Then in the 35 knot lulls all the aerial action went off.

Interesting the next to days had similar wind out at The Wall to 3 Mile Canyon but with much larger swell than you see in these photos. I had endless swell rides on a 3.7 where the apparent wind dropped to near zero due to the mass of the swells. By the 3rd day I was totally exhausted.

Mike
iwindsurf.com
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Then in the 35 knot lulls... Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
I had endless swell rides on a 3.7 where the apparent wind dropped to near zero due to the mass of the swells.

That's cool, I wonder if I could rig a 6.0 and just stay in the troughs Smile

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike
Can you guarantee a repeat next week? Me and a buddy are invading the Gorge this Friday and looking for the goods.
Boggsman
tstizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:

i was there on a very, very pulled down 4.1
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Yep, a 6.0 would work in the troughs..... very very briefly Reply with quote

jse wrote:
windfind wrote:
I had endless swell rides on a 3.7 where the apparent wind dropped to near zero due to the mass of the swells.

Steve

jse wrote:
windfind wrote:

Steve

Yep, a 6.0 would work in the troughs..... very briefly

Here is a photo of a guy in the trough of a modest swell at the Hatch. Notice how he is standing upright and not even hooked in and has no power in his sail. Also note the glassy calm patch of water in the trough despite the 45 knots gusts at the crests. Really fun!!!!

Mike
iwindsurf.com

picture-17.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.53 KB
 Viewed:  13972 Time(s)

picture-17.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: it the road today, Friday, and rig a 3.7 Saturday PM. Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Hey Mike
Can you guarantee a repeat next week? Me and a buddy are invading the Gorge this Friday and looking for the goods.
Boggsman

Hi Boggsman,

I don't forecast for the Gorge but guesstimating from the models it looks very good this weekend and decent winds for the next several days through at least Thursday. Then there may be a ramp down or worse. I would hit the road today, Friday, and rig a 3.7 Saturday PM. Let me know when you blast into the Gorge and I will give you window reports.

Mike
iwindsurf.com
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Ill be there today, Friday, for the first time in my windsurf life, and Im fired UP!
Boggsman
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Ill be there today, Friday, for the first time in my windsurf life, and Im fired UP!
Boggsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: