myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to pick a cheap fin for an old board?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfromm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: How to pick a cheap fin for an old board? Reply with quote

I was sailing at Berkeley on July 4th weekend, enjoying the wind, when all of the sudden there's a loud cracking sound and I totally lose control of my board. My fin snapped off by the base. (And I learned how hard it is to try to sail without a fin.)

So now I need to buy a fin. My board is a old Astro Rock. And after reading the Bic Astro Rock's Legendary Status thread, I bet that the response here is going to be that I should just get a new board. And I definitely could use a smaller board (I'm wondering if it's holding me back), but that's another discussion. In the meantime, I want to be able to ride my existing board, but it's not worth it to spend a lot of money on a fin that's going to be worth more than the board. So definitely used, but that still leaves plenty of (perhaps too many) options.

Looking around at what people are advertising for sale, I'm a bit daunted by how many sizes and styles of fins exist. I suspect that the answer is that maybe it just doesn't matter, if I'm not a good enough sailor to be able to tell the difference. But maybe it does, which is why I'm asking. (And do all fins attach the same way, or is an older board going to be different? I could attach a pic if it mattered.)

I weigh about 150 pounds. I sail in the SF Bay area, Berkeley being where I go the most. Other than a 7.something (7.2?) that I almost never use, my sails are 5.0, 5.7, and 6.3 m^2. (And I believe they're all of roughly the same vintage as the board.) I'd consider myself an intermediate sailor (no problem water starting and planing; comfortable and enjoy a reasonable amount of chop; I'm satisfied with the quality of maybe about 50% of my tacks; my biggest weakness is that I really need to learn to how to jibe for real).

Any advice?
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your fin box have the spacers in it which move back and forth to allow for fin placement? If it does then that box is a Power Trim box. I have an old pointer fin for that which should work just fine. PM me if interested.
pjs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little video on fin box types. Although, they're missing a few of the strange old types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJL_Pwn130s
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recollect correctly, the Bic Astro Rock used a fin base style very similar to the A box, which was the first fin on the left in the video provided by pjs. However, it would be slightly different in that the Europeans used what was called the E box. The difference was that the base depth was just a bit deeper. I believe that you can get by with an A box fin, if the roll pin is located in the right position, but it's appropriate to use a spacer of some kind to make up for the difference in depth. If the roll pin is not positioned correctly, it's very possible to remove the existing roll pin, drill a new hole in the right position and press in a new stainless steel roll pin.

Hopefully you still have what remains of the old fin base, assuming the fin sheared just above or flush with the finbox. This would allow you compare the old fin base with a new or used A box fin, to discern what modifications might be needed.
bigron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: you have a standard fin box Reply with quote

i have a nice fin in new condition i can sell you for $40 in san jose
it has two deeper nodes to fulll the box better and sliders on both front an back you should not get a fin longer than 14-15 incches for the aluminum tracck box as the torque will rip out the fin box on a hard jybe
so a wider base in important for tracking. send an email to bigronsurf@yahoo.com and i can scan the fin for you and send jpeg
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebox.....
BigRon is right, but for your weight, no more than 12" maximum, cause bigger will rip the finbox right out.
You can cut down a longer fin too.....
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bic electric rock which has the same finbox as the astro rock. It will take a standard "US Box" fin, also known as an "A box" fin, but you may have to put a slice of an aluminum can or some layers of packing tape around the base of the fin to make sure it fits snug.

Used US box / A box fins are very easy to find at any windsurfing shop that sells used gear. You'll want to pick one in the 30 - 35 cm range (12" - 14"). I have used up to a 40 cm fin in a US Box, which was a good match for my 7.5 sail (bigger sails need bigger fins), but that was definitely pushing it since the box isn't strong enough to resist the torque from a long fin.

As for fin styles, you don't want to get an extreme raked fin like a wave or weed fin, but you don't want a narrow upright fin like a slalom fin, either. Something with a moderate curve and fair amount of width should work well.

... Just as a side note, you could probably find a good board 5-10 years newer than the Astro Rock for under $250.
rfromm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to pick a cheap fin for an old board? Reply with quote

rfromm wrote:
I could attach a pic if it mattered.

For clarity, attached are some pics of what's left of the old fin, and where it attaches to the board.

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.38 KB
 Viewed:  24607 Time(s)

1.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103 KB

2.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.17 KB

3.jpg

rfromm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
... Just as a side note, you could probably find a good board 5-10 years newer than the Astro Rock for under $250.

I know, and I probably would like to do that in the not too distant future. (Maybe at the beginning of next season?) But that opens up an even larger can of worms in deciding what board I want, what size, etc. And how do I even go about deciding that. (I've considered joining the Cal sailing club again just to be able to try out boards to decide what might be right for me.) And are there any issues with a newer board and 90s era sails? ...

In the mean time I'd like to be able to sail my Astro Rock now.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of the type A finboxes in an older Fanatic and used a longboard surfboard fin in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: