myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
August Windsurfing on Cape Cod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prevett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: August Windsurfing on Cape Cod Reply with quote

Starting in August 2010 and for at least 5-10 years out, I will likely be spending the month of August on Cape Cod in the West Falmouth area. I will be heading out to the Cape for a week this summer and plan to scout out different locations for seasonal rentals.

One on my goals for these August Cape trips is to get in as much windsurfing (shortboard) as possible. I have previously checked out West Dennis, Kalmus, and Chapin. I also know of Corporation Beach and Chappaquoit. I am an experienced wave and bump/jump sailor from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Questions:

- Wind: What type of wind conditions can I expect in August? I am mostly familiar with the SW afternoon winds in Buzzards Bay (used to sail/windsurf in Mattapoisett). Do Kalmus and West Dennis have a similar SW afternoon wind setup as Buzzards Bay? How about other wind patterns, like NW clearing winds? Do they happen in August? If so, what launches are best for these clearing winds?

- Waves: Is there any wavesailing on the Cape in August? I would be willing to drive anywhere on the Cape if there was good wavesailing setup somewhere. My expectation is that that most of the windsurfing will be bump/jump conditions, and that the only wavesailing is in the Spring and Fall with storm-related swell.

- Equipment: What would be a good board and sail quiver for the Cape that time of year? I am about 170lbs. I was thinking 4.5m2 wave sail for strong Kalmus days, 5.2-5.4m2 wave/wave-cross sail for more typical conditions, and a 6.2-6.5m2 slalom sail for lighter days. For a one board does it all board, I was thinking of a something like a JP Freestyle Wave, either 84L (better for 4.5-5.4m2) or 92L (better for 5.2-6.5m2).

- Wetsuit: I was thinking boardshorts and rash guard for warmer days and warmer water. Shorty for colder days and/or colder water (like Cape Cod Bay or Outer Cape).

- Home Base: For a West Falmouth location, I was thinking of renting near Chappy, since there might good afternoon SW wind sailing there.

Any help/opinions/local data on any of the above topics appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by prevett on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
stewart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Cape August Reply with quote

I have a lightly used 92L JP wave/freestyle for sale if you are interested.
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion. Some guys sail the Cape almost every windy day and would have a broader perspective. I sail weekends only and sail throughout Mass & R.I. wherever conditions seem best.

My biggest sail board combo is 6.2/ 123 liters (my weight 160) and I average about 1 or 2 days each month of planing conditions. My guess is that you might average 1 or 2 days each week, maybe a little more if you're lucky. I know some guys with 9 or 10 meter sails with formula boards that get at least twice as many planing days as me. There are a lot of days in the 10-15 MPH range in summer! I need about 18 MPH to really have fun.

It seems to me like we are getting less of the nice strong reliable thermals in recent years. Those winds are usually slightly better at Kalmus than anywhere else, including Chappy. This year in particular we have had an unusual weather pattern since late spring, due a dip in the jet stream, colder, more rain, less wind. I think it's been changing lately, not sure, it's still a little atypical.

Pretty hard to get waves in typical summer SW winds on Cape. The few places that get something like waves are mostly restricted parking in season. Occasionaly we get an unusual Summer NE, lots of wave places like Chapin/Mayflower etc. but parking can get filled up if it's also sunny, same with NW.

My favorite wave spots on or near Cape
The Cuts, Chatham, in N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, no Summer parking.
Horseneck Beach, Westport in SW, W, NW, limited Summer parking on Island.
Chapin/Mayflower in NNW, N, NE, parking can get filled up in Summer.
Corporation Beach in WNW, NW, parking can get filled up in Summer.

I hear that San Fran gets much better Summer wind! You're going the wrong way.

ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scopper has pretty much summed up the spots.

Expect the doldrums for the first half of the month. It seems like the last week or so is the start of potential fall patterns.

Kalmus and West Dennis are a haul from Falmouth, but seem to get a little better conditions when it's out of the southwest.

Good luck, RC
prevett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooper and RonC,

Thanks for data!

> I hear that San Fran gets much better Summer wind!
> You're going the wrong way.

Yeah, if you're Ok with a bit of driving, the SF Bay area will have 5.2m2 or better wind somewhere most days from April through September. And plenty of sailable days October through March, especially on the Coast.
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for rubbing it in. Maybe we can go to San Fran for August while you guys all come here.

We get pretty good wind in the Winter. That's the best time for a beach vacation on Cape Cod, no crowds, and the snow never really sticks on the beaches.

outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's good days....Storm swells will start hitting by then.
You probably ought to have a 3/2 wetsuit for the ocean though.
Not all days, but a few days of west winds blow the surface water out, and temps drop.

Last year i got burned a couple of days by not having the 3.7 in the van.

Plenty o days good for biking/surfing and not sailing too

Bring it! (and buy the beer for the first few weeks)

WaterKook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know August is the least windy month on Cape Cod. Sorry.
Sept. starts ramping up and Rocktober is my favorite month.
I just got off the water sound side bump and jump 4.7m on a 85L board.
Check out my log and past years logs for a general idea of wind.
My biggest sail is a 5.2m I kite when the wind is lighter.
If you want real wave sailing IE side-off down the line sailing you will need to bring GOOD beer to the beach and pass a few no kook test before getting the inside info. Only a handful of side-off ocean sailors on the Cape.
Abide.
http://home.comcast.net/~gerjan/Boardinglog2009.html
...Jerry

scooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of side-off. Is the anybody thinking about it for Saturday? I'm not sure if they give out parking tickets on a rainy day.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:

Expect the doldrums for the first half of the month. It seems like the last week or so is the start of potential fall patterns.

Good luck, RC
Now, Ron is a native Cape Coddah (I only grew up in a Cape Cod style house off Cape), but I have always expected the worse doldrums in the last weeks of August. You really can't put your hopes on the winds to pick up until September (which is the best month all around for Cape Cod living). That's been the recent history. West Falmouth beaches are also crowded in August with parking highly restricted, but Buzzard's Bay can be as windy as the outer cape. It's actually much easier to sail Ned's, Swift's and the other beaches in Ma. on the western side of the Bay . You can only launch a windsurfer at low tide at Chappy, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: