myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
first time wave sailor oregon coast?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metwo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: first time wave sailor oregon coast? Reply with quote

Heading to Hood river, and may go out to the coast if the waves are small. I have never wave sailed before. Where should I go? Where do I look for a wind and swell forecast? What swell size would be good? I know I would not be comfortable with waves over shoulder high, would perfer waist high. What locations are going to the most forgiving? Thanks for the help.
TeamRoper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was in newport in may, it is very forgiving. Sail just south of the jetty, launch from the beach at the state park (can't remember the name) just south across the bridge.

I think you need bout 6 to 7' swell to make the waves happen.

I used www.windfinder.com, found it to be fairly accurate.

I'm sure a more experienced local will help you with better info.
anthwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: first time wave sailor oregon coast? Reply with quote

South Beach Newport is great place to start. If it is not windy enough at South Beach go to Agate Beach on the north side of Newport. Florence can be great. Road Ends at Lincoln City can be great but shore conditions can be challenging.

metwo wrote:
Heading to Hood river, and may go out to the coast if the

waves are small. I have never wave sailed before. Where should I go? Where do I look for a wind and swell forecast? What swell size would be good? I know I would not be comfortable with waves over shoulder high, would perfer waist high. What locations are going to the most forgiving? Thanks for the help.
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHECK OUT THE YAHOO SITE, PDXwindsufer@yahoogroups.com this is a Portland based coast sailing group, and they have an excellent site with information showing where to sail, forcasts, and etc. a great resourse for newby's.

KMF
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/PDXwindsurfer/
blythefly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manzanita is a good place to sail. Drive to the end of the main street make a right and park anywhere on the ocean side of the road. You need a toasty wetsuit because that water's real cold. And watch out for all the kiters; they're more dangerous than the sharks. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: