myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best board for SF Bay area ?? ~110 L
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdierauf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Best board for SF Bay area ?? ~110 L Reply with quote

Hi all,

We moved back to the SF Bay Area after 10 years in Oregon. Our largest board is 89 L, and that is a sinker for me when the wind dies.

We are looking for a larger board that will do well at Chrissy, yet get me back to the City Front if the wind dies (while out at the north tower or somewhere). I'm thinking around 110L. Our largest sail is a 6.0 m^2.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance to those that reply.
Tim
timdier@yahoo.com
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh?
Unfortunatly you may have to go custom if you're heavy and need that much volume to slog. I have not found a new production board that size that will also handle SF bay's voodoo chop. Some of the 95L will work, if that's enough floatation for you. You can demo some boards at Coyote Pt at: boardsportsschool.com.

Let us know if you find something you like in that size. I'm sure other
heavyweights are having the same issues with production boards.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had good luck with the exocet exo-wave at 105L. it has the volume to slog in almost zero wind. but, because it has a wave outline, it can really handle it when the wind comes up. this spring i it was the only board i had while i waited for my boards to arrive from the NW. i sailed it comfortably in the spring clearing winds with a 4.2. i kid you not. and it shines in conditions when you have to slog out to a wind line yet need something that can take it when you get there.

like you, i'd been sailing in the gorge for 11 years and moved to the bay area 1 year ago.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, i'm 205 lbs, wet.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but mainly it's just my afro.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't real time sensitive, I would highly recommend having Mike Zajicek build you a Mike's Lab custom to suit your needs. As many folks know in the Bay area, Mike builds an outstanding board. I've been sailing Mike's boards since 1992, and frankly, I wouldn't consider looking elsewhere.

http://www.mikeslab.com/
SWE106

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before answering your question; more info is needed.

1) how much do you weigh?
2) what is your sailing level (beginner: can't jibe or tack; intermediate: can jibe, tack, water start, chophop, do a few jibe and tack tricks; advanced: into serious freestyle; wave riding, etc; prof...)
3) what do you like to do: blast back and forth, speed, freestyle, mix it up?
4) how often do you sail: when it's windy only; or every day?

Otherwise; my standard phrase is " if one was allowed to have only one board and one sail in the SF Bay Area; it would be a 95FSW -QUATRO- and 5.0 -SIMMER-"
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~85l seems to be the most common 1-board quiver for folks in the 140-160lb range.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the Exocet 105 ExoWave recommended above. While I havent ridden that exact model, I rode a 115 (?) in the Delta recently, through hellish chop (like Crissy), and it was great. My wife & I share 3 other Exocets; 73 X-Wave, 84 Cross and 94 Cross, and we both love them dearly. As a bonus, they're very well built, and have those bitchen' gel pads built into the deck that absorb all the little chop instead of sending it up to your knees.
tdierauf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the replies everybody Reply with quote

To Answer the questions...

I grew up in SF and started windsurfing in 1986. I learned my water-start off Chrissy. Sailing the City Front is one of my favorite places.

Before leaving the state 15 years ago, I was into race sails and fast boards (I had a couple Mike's Labs). I used to uphaul a 105L board (I may have been lighter then).

Currently, I weigh 180 lb. and like wave boards/sails for a number of reasons (I am not an accomplished wave sailer, but can head out and come in if it's not too big.). While living in Oregon, my 89L board was BIG, and I rarely sailed the 6.0. My favorite setup is a Drops 74L waveboard out on a 4.2 sail.

As a couple of folks have recommended the ExoWave 105L. I'll check it out. I'll be back in HR next week. Maybe something will be available up there.

Again, thanks for all the replies.
Cheers,
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: