myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf spots central jersey shore, Lavalette and....?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B737

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Windsurf spots central jersey shore, Lavalette and....? Reply with quote

This is my first season windsurfing, and ive been regularly going to this sleepy little spot in Lavalette on the Barnaget side.

Sandy hook and harvey cedars are both about 45 min away from me, i live in brick, so they are good if i have a full day. The lavalette spot is nice cause its just a few minutes down the road. but sometimes the winds can get shifty and the bottom can be unpredictable.

Been digging around on Kitebeaches.com and have been coming up empty handed around here...

anyone have any good input for places 'between' the hook and Harvey Cedars for beginners?

-Kevin
USAM1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: sailing in nj Reply with quote

you might want to try trixie's. Its on the mainland side of the bay, north side of the cedar creek inlet. follow brennan concourse towards the water, the launch is on your right before the park. it does have a wind shadow on a south wind.
Or try 13th street in seaside, bay side. there is a town lot on the bay there that gets better wind.
Good to see some out there still trying the sport out.
B737

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I had heard about both of those places, I didn't know the seaside one was bay acsess, I'll definitly check that out.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a beginner, I think Lavallette would actually be my preferred spot for southerly, west, and possibly NW winds (any wind with East in it is going to be offshore). Lavallette and Seaside both have very similar conditions, but the launch area at Lavallette is a little nicer for beginners IMO. It's also got a bit of a cove area for some protection, but you can easily head out into the bay. Down south where the bay narrows (towards the bridge) the water can be very shallow and flat.

Trixies (on the mainland) is another classic Jersey launch that works well for most winds from SW all the way around to NE or N (W & NW are not too good). Beware that trixies really does not have the luxury of shallow water until you get all the way over to the Eastern side of the bay (about 2 miles). This part of Barnegat bay is the deepest area of the bay so it gets the biggest chop (more of an actual swell when the wind is up) so it's not great for true beginners, but is excellent for intermediates and above (waterstarting is not required, but is a bonus). The traffic in the channel can get quite hectic during summer weekends.

There are also launches near trixies, Allen Rd to the north and Laurel Rd to the south that have access to the bay that puts you directly into the bay (at Trixies you have to sail out of the creek about 1/4 mile before you're actually in the bay).

All these spots are definitely close enough to you that they're worth checking out for yourself. And any given windy day, they should have at least a couple people sailing at them.

sm
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the one you're with, man. Lots of us drive more than an hour to sail Lavallette, which is great for all the reasons shred mentioned. And if I lived where you do, I would go to Lavallette, Seaside, Trixies, or Allen Road before trekking up to Sandy Hook. (No disrespect to the Hookers, I know it's a great spot too.)
I guess the grass is always greener, but you're sitting on a world-class spot. See you there.
hwyeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Seaside park Reply with quote

Just keep driving south on Rt. 35 and turn left on 13th st. in Seaside park. You can sail from the pier into the flats inside the Island Beach State park. You'll get cleaner and stronger thermal than Lavallete. Water is shallow from waist to chest out to about 2/3 of the bay. I used to sail out of Lavallete before I discover Seaside.

John
njsail

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help. Old but prob still relevant..

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/9020/launch.htm
mcgiiver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Lots of Places north of the Hook Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
Love the one you're with, man. Lots of us drive more than an hour to sail Lavallette, which is great for all the reasons shred mentioned. And if I lived where you do, I would go to Lavallette, Seaside, Trixies, or Allen Road before trekking up to Sandy Hook. (No disrespect to the Hookers, I know it's a great spot too.)
I guess the grass is always greener, but you're sitting on a world-class spot. See you there.

Loads of good places north of the Hook and free.
Spy House
Port Monmouth
Keansburg
Union Beach
Keyport
Cliffwood
Cliffwood Beach
Laurence Harbor
Morgan
South Amboy
Perth Amboy

Some are better on certain direction winds. PM me if you want details
B737

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much appreciated guys, thanks for all the input! see you out there
windtrip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Jersey locations Reply with quote

Glad to have new sailors. Come to seaside when the wind blows from the southwest. Bring a weed fin. Jellyfish last week so be prepared to cover up. This direction this spot can't be beat. Look forward to seeing you there. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: