myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Glenwoods Beach @ Keswick, ON now closed to kiters, boarders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Glenwoods Beach @ Keswick, ON now closed to kiters, boarders Reply with quote

A note from the local beach warden in Keswick, ON:

Quote:
We have lost a battle with the town and they closed the beach at Glenwoods to kiteboarders AND windsurfers. We are at risk of losing Claridon beach as well. The reasons are manyfold but the basic reason is too many kiters from outside the area are using the whole beach. The locals tried to enforce a policy where kiters or boarders would only use part of the beach but we were unsuccessful in self policing. We will do better in the future but we need to inform the community that Glenwoods is CLOSED to kiting and boarding. Other beaches may follow if folks from outside the area do not follow the rules (they are posted at the beach) ... Ultimately if all the other townships do the same thing there will be no kiting or boarding on Simcoe unless you are doing it from private property..
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all shoulda seen that one comin' down the line. With 99% of all waterfront being privately owned and so much public pressure for limited use of beach space, Sports that have such a huge foot print are doomed.

I lived in TO for a number of yrs and was heart broken when a new property owner on Belcher Rd got the town to put up no parking signs to prevent traffic on "There Road"

Y'all have a vote come election time!

RIP eco sensitive sports, Kayaker's and Canoe's are next!
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad to see the short sightedness where they lump kiters and windsurfers together. they did that here too..but so far we are all still able to do both.

if kiters are the problem, why not just get rid of them at this spot ? being a kiter myself, it's sort of hypocrisy, but being an x-windsurfer, I understand.
kittycundles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty sad,

I used to sail keswick a few times a summer and it was a great launch.

Just to be clear and so i dont waste an hours drive fro TOm which is the popular one with the big grassy rigging area?

Was that glenwoods or Claridon.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big grassy rigging area describs Keswick for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: