myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin Killah (video)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vadler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: there is a lower launch that is closer to the channel. It makes those swims and walks a little easier.
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the way from the channell...gulp. Thats a helluva long swim. Glad you made it back in one piece, and the movie was pretty interesting too. Nice spinout crash to finish it. Don't try that one at home kids...

For the next time this happens to anyone note its sometimes actually possible to sail back to shore (badly of course) without a fin. (Proof: those new skool freestyler spinny/crash nutcases are practically sailing without a fin anyway).

The way to learn how is to dick around in those way-too-light-to-plane-but just-enough-to-waterstart moments when you are near shore, in shallow water, and comfortable, and otherwise ready to quit your session. Instead, spin your board around and beach/waterstart onto the nose so that you are sailing fin-first. Rear staggered grip (i.e. hands closer to the clew than normal) and try to shove the heel of your new back foot (now standing somewhere between the nose and the mast) where the sun don't shine in order to keep the new tail (which is actually the nose) from spinning away downwind while the new nose (the tail + fin, lifted clear of the water unless you are on a humungous formula board or something) tries to point straight into wind.
Keep using those hamstrings and pulling on that back foot and balancing the sail on its triangle, while staying essentially 99% sheeted out. If you sheet in, there is nothing to counter it and your tail (actually the nose), will instantly spin out downwind.

Its actually fun practicing this one, and looks kinda cool sailing fin first when you start to get the hang of it and your hamstrings + technique develop

Such Fin first practice saved a buddy of mine from a long swim in Maui one time. I wondered why his waterstart appeared to be taking so long, sailed over, found out he was swimming due to no fin (he lost it on the reef at camp one), so I simply swapped gear with him. I sailed (half of it butt sailing admittedly) his finless board back to shore without going too far downwind, while he sailed my stuff back. 3 minutes later, we were both safely back on the beach. Nowhere near as far as the channel incident reported here, but still saved a fair old swim nonetheless. I wonder if I could still do it???

He still owes me the beers, but has long forgotten.

Koogzah, do you think this would that have worked at 3rd after the log ate your fin, or was it just too damn choppy/windy even for that? I'm sure there are limits.....

D
bainesy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your harness around the tail of the board for some lateral resistance. It'll be enough for you to crawl back to shore.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday at TI a sea lion surfaced not 3 feet in front of me, gave me a looky-loo and quickly got outta there. I did have to take evasive action.

Steve
mustangdoug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonORiordan wrote:
All the way from the channell...gulp. Thats a helluva long swim. Glad you made it back in one piece, and the movie was pretty interesting too. Nice spinout crash to finish it. Don't try that one at home kids...

For the next time this happens to anyone note its sometimes actually possible to sail back to shore (badly of course) without a fin. (Proof: those new skool freestyler spinny/crash nutcases are practically sailing without a fin anyway).

The way to learn how is to dick around in those way-too-light-to-plane-but just-enough-to-waterstart moments when you are near shore, in shallow water, and comfortable, and otherwise ready to quit your session. Instead, spin your board around and beach/waterstart onto the nose so that you are sailing fin-first. Rear staggered grip (i.e. hands closer to the clew than normal) and try to shove the heel of your new back foot (now standing somewhere between the nose and the mast) where the sun don't shine in order to keep the new tail (which is actually the nose) from spinning away downwind while the new nose (the tail + fin, lifted clear of the water unless you are on a humungous formula board or something) tries to point straight into wind.
Keep using those hamstrings and pulling on that back foot and balancing the sail on its triangle, while staying essentially 99% sheeted out. If you sheet in, there is nothing to counter it and your tail (actually the nose), will instantly spin out downwind.

Its actually fun practicing this one, and looks kinda cool sailing fin first when you start to get the hang of it and your hamstrings + technique develop

Such Fin first practice saved a buddy of mine from a long swim in Maui one time. I wondered why his waterstart appeared to be taking so long, sailed over, found out he was swimming due to no fin (he lost it on the reef at camp one), so I simply swapped gear with him. I sailed (half of it butt sailing admittedly) his finless board back to shore without going too far downwind, while he sailed my stuff back. 3 minutes later, we were both safely back on the beach. Nowhere near as far as the channel incident reported here, but still saved a fair old swim nonetheless. I wonder if I could still do it???

He still owes me the beers, but has long forgotten.

Koogzah, do you think this would that have worked at 3rd after the log ate your fin, or was it just too damn choppy/windy even for that? I'm sure there are limits.....

D

Don's right. This is hard to force yourself to learn, when you could be doing some regular blasting. But if you find yourself in this situation, esp a long way from shore, it is worth giving a go even if never mastered previously. I've lost more fins at Palo Alto than I can count. Most notably, twice, I lost fins beyond the northern red mark on the far side. I sailed the roughly 4 miles as Don describes, back to PA Harbor. For brief spells I tried the old harness on the tail, but it was dog slow and more tiring than sailing finless. Now I was on a big 140L board, so I'm sure that might help. A couple other pointers might be to make sure mast track is all the way back, so as to get the bow floatier. Then get forward foot alongside or even forward of the mast, to keep pushing that nose downwind. That foot and the mast will hold most of your weight. Back foot just lightly feathers the pitch and yaw to track and keep from sinking the nose. Windward rail used for tracking. To waterstart, come up directly sideways, as if you were going to sail sideways, since you will be to a large extent. Anyway, true, did this twice, over four miles, and was planing most of the way. Did need to stop to rest. Oh yeah, you don't get to choose where you'll come to shore. It'll be farther downwind than preferred.
coe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Cam Reply with quote

Which hemlet camera do you use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: