myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thoughts on Northwave/new park launch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascott72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Northwave/new park launch Reply with quote

What's the name for the new launch just west of the Event Site but before the Hook? I have been calling it "the launch near Northwave" but there must be a name for it. The new Hood River waterfront park?

Anway, now that they have opened up the grass and comleted the park facilities, it is pretty nice.

Pros:
Don't have to pay $5 like you do at the Event Site
Grassy lawn
Nice steps down to the water
Has bathroom facilites
Northwave is right there if any parts break
Not as crowded as the Event Site (on the lawn or on the water)!

Suggestions to make it even better (directed to Port of Hood River???):
Keep the parking spots at the very front open so there can be a lane to drop off gear
Not sure why they have planted all those trees so close to the water. There is already a bit of a wind shadow and trees near the edge will only make this worse.
How about some shade? A few leafy trees like over at the Marina would be nice, but do this away from the water's edge so you don't exacerbate the wind shadow
The dirt berm with plants they have placed between the parking lot and the walkway doesn't have enough openings in it, especially for windsurfers carrying gear. As a result, it gets trampelled all over. Create some bigger openings.

Last edited by ascott72 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know why Hood River was allowed to build a launch ramp into the water -- in the Gorge Scenic Area no less -- when the City of Arlington was denied that privilege, on their own private land outside the Scenic Area, because "modifying even a few meters of the land-water interface will kill the fish in the Columbia". Just a few more feet of development authorization and Arlington could compete with any WSing site on the Columbia.

Mike \m/
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: GORGE GUIDE - METHANE BEACH Reply with quote

I understood that windsurfing was secondary at that site, and that it was for the people of HR as a family place, as the Marina is now the dog park.
duckwind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we usually just call it "the park"
airtime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Very convenient.. Reply with quote

The new waterfront park is great. Great rigging area...Great launch..And having Northwave right there is a real bonus..Repairs, free demos, and USA made sails..We must just be cool about where we park as to not obstruct the access by the other tennants of the Luhr Jensen Building..

In my opinion, the folks responsible for the new park did a great job! I thank them for their efforts...
iacmoderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: The New Park Stinks Reply with quote

I like the new park as much as the next guy, but you've got to admit that it kind of stinks. It does happen to be right across the street from the Hood River Waste Water Treatment Plant. Whenever I miss a jibe I try not to think about the waste water I just fell into. Noseplugs tend to help.
gorgeview

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are glad to hear you all enjoy the new Hood River Waterfront Park, it is owned and managed by the City of Hood River, (not the Port.)
It may help you to know, it was not designed to be a windsurfing park , as we have the Event site, but rather a multi-use park to accomodate families and children and allow parents to enjoy water sports together at the same place.
It has been built entirely with grants, and the local fund raising by the City and the hard working volunteers from the Waterfront Community Park Association, the Park Dev Comm. and with in kind donations from local contractors, and the City of Hood River. Phase One, as you see it costs $1.8 million. As you mention, the new Family park is free but depends on DONATIONS for all the amenties you are enjoying at the site. So if you like it please HELP SUPPORT IT.
We hope to keep adding improvements like some lovely shade trees, picnic tables, benches and other amenties but cannot do it with out lots of financial support. Please see the WCPA's website to learn how you might help. In the meantime, feel free to help us weed, pick up garbage, keep dogs on leases and keep it wonderful.
Thanks and have fun,
Ann Frodel, WCPA Chair.
www.hoodriverwaterfront.com
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your effort and your information, Ann.

Could you provide any insight here, or directly to the mayor of Arlington, OR regarding my post above? We had a lot of horsepower from the BIA, Fisheries, Wildlife, the Corps, and other federal and state agencies when Arlington's similar waterfront park fate was decided several years ago; maybe your organization could help Arlington achieve its goals, if they still have them. I'd think the two towns could act synergistically, rather than competitively, in drawing tourist attention to the Gorge, since the wind so often acts independently, often exclusively, at the two towns.

Mike \m/ [/url]
wmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading that CGWA contributed several if not many thousands of dollars to the water front park. That could be why there is a windsurf access there. The CGWA contribution came from the Doug's Railroad settlement.

I am still wondering how the City of Hood River got permission to alter the bank of the river and the city of Arlington could not get permission for their water front park.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGWA had control of the settlement money from Doug's? I suppose it makes sense, but if that is the case CGWA owes the public an accounting of where all it has spent it. I am certainly curious what is left (if anything), and where it has gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: