myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thoughts on Northwave/new park launch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesalmonmike wrote:
I seem to remember reading that CGWA contributed several if not many thousands of dollars to the water front park. That could be why there is a windsurf access there.

Arlington wanted to do the work on its own dime. The federal objection was fish kill, not money.

Mike \m/
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: GORGE GUIDE - METHANE BEACH Reply with quote

gorgeview wrote:
We are glad to hear you all enjoy the new Hood River Waterfront Park

Ummmmmmm......(?)
gorgeview

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am not familar with the Arlington issues.
We had to get all the appropriate Army Corp of Engineering and City permits for all work, which was very expensive, (roughly $700,000) to permit, and create the beach and access ramp. We also created a flood plain zone, added salmon habitat and riparian areas, all native plants and the process took several months.
Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Assc. was definately responsible for a very generous donation of $70,000 toward the access steps at the park which were created to allow windsurfing access into the Columbia. This was a portion of the CGWA settlement funds from BNSF stipulated to be used for new or improved access sites on the Columbia.
CGWA efforts have also improved and added several new access points at the Hook and Lurh Jensen Beach.
1aloop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<(roughly $700,000) to permit>>

%^#%$^ THIEVES
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new launch is GREAT! We sailed there several times.

Its odd though, as usual, some clowns always want to park right on the carpet with a front row seat in their big RV's. I found it very selfish to block sailors access to the stairs and blocking the rigging carpet from use. Then they would typically have 2-3 rigs laying on the carpet after their sailing session of 20 minutes. What's up with that?

I hope the hogs will read this and realize how discourteous this is to fellow sailors. Clearly, this is out of the control of the City and the CGWA and its a shame that vacationers are so self centered as to be oblivious to their impact on fellow sailors. I didn't let it lease space in my head, but I noted several frustrated sailors trying to maneuver around the widespread gear, dogs, babies, and overall blocking of the gateway to the grass and stairs.

Big Kudo's to Katie Crafts and the CGWA for their participation and contribution to the new site.

I HOPE WE ARE ALL SUPPORTING THE CGWA AND THEIR TIRELESS EFFORTS TO MAKE WINDSURFING MORE ACCESSIBLE AND ENJOYABLE FOR US ALL!!!
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
The new launch is GREAT! We sailed there several times.

Its odd though, as usual, some clowns always want to park right on the carpet with a front row seat in their big RV's. I found it very selfish to block sailors access to the stairs and blocking the rigging carpet from use. Then they would typically have 2-3 rigs laying on the carpet after their sailing session of 20 minutes. What's up with that?

Actually the carpet should be yanked out. That was left over from last year before the grass grew. Now that there is nice grass to rig on the carpet is redundant and takes up 2 parking spaces Smile

Great place to launch and fly up to Wells Island for some windy fun.....
gorgeview

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: new park - carpet Reply with quote

re Carpet;
I strongly disagee, the carpet marks an open corridor to carry gear back and forth to the lawn. That opening was specifically Designed and CREATED this spring, from your comments and with permission from the Port, to keep a path for rigs and so windsurfers would not block and knock pedestrians on the concrete walkway like we did last summer. The pathway is just so heavily used and it doesn't provide enough room to have allow folks carrying gear up to 10 ft across walking all the way down to the steps to launch. Please try to keep all pathways and drive throughs clear. Landscaping will be added to direct traffic but in the meantime we should get used to and encourage the traffic patterns.
Why is it the campers love to block the drive throughs and entrances?
The driveway and carpet areas should be keep open for EVERYONE's benefit as well as for any possible emergencies.
jota

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also lots of folks use the carpet to rig and then launch at the Northwave ramp. It's practically next to the carpet and for those of us getting a quick sesh in there's no reason to carry rigs all the way over to the waterfront park launch.

So keep the carpet - expand it even!

Of course, Northwave sailors can rig on the Northwave lawn that is even closer to the ramp . . . but then they put a bench right in the way, that we now have to navigate around which isn't so easy on a windy day, with pedestrians on the path.

(And what's with that berm of bark chips? I don't get the point - it's just another obstacle for folks to climb over. It doesn't seem like a landscaping feature, just a long pile.)

I have to say though - the Waterfront Park rocks! Not as a sailing spot but as a multi-use, family friendly park. The city and Port said we couldn't do it - and we did! I love to see all the folks out there from dawn 'til dark, locals and visitors alike. Congratulations to Ann and everyone who worked so hard on that project.

I encourage everyone who has enjoyed the park to help support the cause - there is info at the park, or go to http://www.hoodriverwaterfront.com/.
ascott72

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Another nice weekend Reply with quote

Another nice weekend at the park. Too bad it didn't stay windy on sunday.

Parking got a little crazy, lots of people, some probably parking where they shouldn't. But that is beyond my purview.

But I will say the park is crying out for some shade! Could be some big trees, could be a simple gazebo of some kind. But there is zero relief from the sun other than trying to stay in the shade of parked vehicles.

Water fountain by the bathrooms would be nice too.

Anyway, the park is great. I am not trying to criticize, just make some suggestions to make it even better. And I am going to put my money where my mouth is and make a donation.
pabloson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is REALLY smelly, but my understanding is that the city is going to put a cap on the sewage tx plant to remedy the problem.

Lovely park. Suggestion - remove old fence between parking and grass for quick and easy access to rigging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: