myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Questions - light wavesailing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dyz36

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Questions - light wavesailing Reply with quote

After sailing on flat water for a while I would like to try light wave sailing: maybe in knee to waist high waves.
1. Are there any good places to do it in SE Connecticut or Rode Island? Cape Cod?
2. Equipment.
I have a 6.3 wave sail that should work OK. Ideally, I would have liked to have something like a Kona 11.5 or 10.5 but I don't want to pay $$$ for something that may not work for me long term. Besides long boards are a pain to store and transport. I have a Starboard GO board (160L?) that I want to use before I figure out exactly what I want to do. I know this board is big and not agile enough for the waves but I have accidentally surfed a few waves on Lake Michigan. It was fun until I hit the bottom with the fin. So my question is what kind of fin do I need and in what size. I doubt there are wave fins for a Deep Tuttle fin box so I was thinking either a shallow wide fin or a weed fin 30-38 cm.

I don't expect making tight turns on a board this big and just want to catch a few waves and ride them to the shore. Is this possible or will the lack of tail rocker bury the nose?

Thanks,
DZ
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the area, but any place where the waves are breaking gradually on a gently sloping beach, or breaking on an offshore sandbar, would be good.

I think it would definitely be worth a try on the GO, even though it's not an ideal board for wavesailing, and you probably won't be able to have you back foot in the strap when riding with a short fin.

Regular tuttle box fins will work in a deep tuttle box. You just need longer bolts to reach them. If you need a really short fin to not rub on the sandbars (which you probably will because small waves break in shallow water) you could try a Wardog Weed-Wave fin. Their 25 cm fin would be plenty big enough for your 6.3. Even for a 7.5.

If you have a deeper water spot without weeds, maybe a true ames convert in the 34 cm size.

Good luck.
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am just getting some experience in this genre, but will offer the observation that slogging around in the waves on a short wide planing board has nothing to do with the fun of catching waves of any size and riding them on a surfing rockered longboard(sup or kona). these boards will glide on any moving swell, which the go will not. demo or spend the $$ and you will be amazed.
The sandbar associated with the rockpile off west dennis beach will swell up in light s,sw and wsw winds and the sandbar between chapin and mayflower beaches on the bay does the same in light nw,n,ne, and then flattens out at full high tide on light days. beyond the shorebreak in any r.i sound location should be the same, rolling swell is surfable with these boards.
you won't use the 6.3 on a long board, too much sail gets overpowered with apparent wind when swell catching, 4.7 to 5.7 should do the trick if there is any wind. and you can paddle if there is no wind.
paul
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done all manner of short wide free rides and free races for years before the advent of Konas. They can snap and turn, but require more skill and endurance to go out in the lightest of winds. There may be lots of onshore days where a larger short board can at least perform on par with Konas. But the getting out thru the surf can be tougher since you may have to use a shorter fin.

If remember, some Go's have quite a lot of tail release rocker. Hinders planing, but enhances turning. Go with a shorter fin, choose slightly breezier winds or side off, and you should be able to explore wavesailing. Once you know that you want to do it, the monies will quickly become justified.

Keep in mind that my main sail I use in the lightwind sailing is a 7.5 because of onshore winds. Folks that do it in trade wind spots or the west coast insist that my sail sizing is too big. Side off allows for much smaller sails because the waves push you into the wind like an opposing current would.

One would need 10-15 side to side on for a Go and a 7.5 sail, maybe 9-13 in side off would work with a 6.3. Konas can keep the stoke alive in as little as 5-10 side to side off.

The surfboard style SUP/sailors tend to be very specifically sideoff boards. Tried numerous ones in sideon, and they do not compare favorably with Konas. It has to do with the stepping back factor. Step back on a surfboard style, and slow down. Step back on a shortboard or Kona, and squirt ahead. Especially useful to make up ground lost after some frontside hits in onshore(ish) conditions. Using the backside ride to regain lost ground. Lots of walking back upwind cuts down on the wave count....
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Questions - light wavesailing Reply with quote

dyz36 wrote:
After sailing on flat water for a while I would like to try light wave sailing: maybe in knee to waist high waves.
1. Are there any good places to do it in SE Connecticut or Rode Island? Cape Cod?

In Mass. you can find waves like that at Nahant, Nantasket, the eastern shore of Buzzard's Bay, and that public beach in Dartmouth. R.I. should have a number of good places for it.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never sailed in breaking ocean waves before, you're biggest challenge as a beginner is going to be just getting out. Wave riding is going to be secondary.

There are many more challenges when sailing in breaking surf compared to flat water. Just getting your equipment organized for a beach start when there is current and breaking waves to deal with is likely to be an entire learning experience and can be very humbling. Dealing with your equipment when you get knocked down in the waves, it's all a lot different.

So having a nice wide, stable, floaty board for your first few ocean sessions is a good idea. You'll be less likely to be knocked off, and you'll even be able to pretty easily uphaul if necessary. A fin in the 30 to 40cm range would probaly be ok. The shorter it is the easier to beach start, but you need to be able to get upwind. Probably want to move your foot straps inboard somewhat to make up for the shorter fin.

You want to make sure you pick a good day. Small waves with moderate sideshore wind in the 15 to 20mph range. And try to sail where other people are sailing.

sm
dyz36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everybody's comments. It sounds like a weed fin around 30 cm should work. I knew the wide GO was not going to be ideal but it sounds like it is possible to go out there and catch a few waves. I surfed on a kayak before which was much easier but not as fun as real surfing so I figure surfing on a GO board should fall somewhere in the middle. I can see not being able to glide on an ocean swell since these wide boards don't shlog well.

So, where in RI can I do it? Which beaches? Cape Cod is a little further away from me. I am in central CT.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Colombo would drive thru the City to get to some of the spots along Long Island. I asked him about Sandy Hook, and he said it was a wash for driving IF you timed the City rush hour correctly....
plominja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont ride waves, but it seems like everyone that wants waves goes to Matunuck Beach, Scarborough and Pt Judith. Those are some places for some wave riding in RI that aren't too far from CT.
venturecat1391

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my greatest pleasures in Lake Erie is flying over the back of a cresting wave on my way back in and dropping down in front of it. I guess I should try to have more fun in the waves, but they're so close together, and I always assumed wave sailing was a whole different sport. From reading above, I get the sense that you can have fun on the waves without slashing bottom turns and smacking the lip like in Ho'opika???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: