myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody sail Leo yesterday?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbranch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Anybody sail Leo yesterday? Reply with quote

Was it as good as the gragh? Everything is in doubt these days with the sensor reading low.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the wind was good and solid, filled into the beach with the occasional wave. Average sail size appeared to be between 5.3 and 5.8. It was also crowded with a few close calls between kiter and windsurfer and kiter and peeps on the beach.

p.s. The sensor reads high.
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: YEEHAW Reply with quote

Fully powered 5'til 7 on the 'ol 89 Hybrid and a 6-0, then changed to the 110L and sailed til dark... good waves late for the hightide push. It was GREAT, but remember we still have nasty rocks, carnivorous seagulls, "Mr Smiley" and kiters on meth, so beware... Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: YEEHAW Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
..and kiters on meth, so beware... Bull

You know, there were some kiters that stayed on the outside, cleared their kites, didn't get too close, gave way whether they had ROW or not and did everything one could want to see in a safe and harmonious environment. Then there were 2 or 3 knuckleheads that would snap turn without looking over their shoulder to see if it was clear, cross the slot diagonally, jump waves in front of others, and ride way too close to shore. Basically these guys are going to blow it for everybody.
stupop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: YEEHAW Reply with quote

[quote Basically these guys are going to blow it for everybody.[/quote]

Why not talk to the individual instead of complaining about all kiters?

If you plan on complaining about us as a group why should we make an effort as a group? The kite community at Leo has been making a good effort to keep things mellow.

Stop the hating!
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: YEEHAW Reply with quote

stupop wrote:
Why not talk to the individual instead of complaining about all kiters?

I have, a lot of us have. What you get is a "oh..sorry" and no behavior change whatsoever.

Like trying to tell a tager to stop spray painting.
stupop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what your saying is that you're going to bitch about it no matter what until you get all kiting banned at Leo? That is a simply amazing point of view to have. Why should the kiters who care even bother to try to keep guys like you happy?
I rode up in the slot for 5 minutes yesterday there were 15 kites and 4 windsurfers. Something has to be said for the majority rules.
I can't figure it out though. Yesterday was pretty great wind by Leo standards and all the kiters where whooping and having a great time and every time I passed and smiled at one of you guys I was met with an unfriendly look. And no I didn't jump in that area and I gave way to every windsurfer.
Between the crowd all chasing knee slapper waves and the crappy vibe I can't figure out why anyone would want to ride around you guys anyway.

I'll gladly take north beach or Zeros for my riding but it is fun to ride around people who are sharing the stoke sometimes.

What gives?
gregorvass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wind and no surf!

Super low tide with rocks exposed!

Overall shitty.
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: THE TRUTH!!! Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
No wind and no surf!

Super low tide with rocks exposed!

Overall shitty.
Damn it Gregor! You forgot to mention the saltwater alligators! Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupop wrote:
So what your saying is that you're going to bitch about it no matter what until you get all kiting banned at Leo?

Not really, but there is roughly a 2 mile area between the slot and zeros. What I have been advocating is a separate area for Kite surfers.

stupop wrote:
That is a simply amazing point of view to have. Why should the kiters who care even bother to try to keep guys like you happy?

To be honest, some of you bring it on yourselves;

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1639825&an=0&page=0&gonew=1

stupop wrote:
I rode up in the slot for 5 minutes yesterday there were 15 kites and 4 windsurfers. Something has to be said for the majority rules.

Not really. Windsurfers were there long before kiters, does something have to be said about who got there first?

stupop wrote:
I can't figure it out though. Yesterday was pretty great wind by Leo standards and all the kiters where whooping and having a great time and every time I passed and smiled at one of you guys I was met with an unfriendly look. And no I didn't jump in that area and I gave way to every windsurfer.

Great! It will take a while to adjust to the new attitude.

stupop wrote:
Between the crowd all chasing knee slapper waves and the crappy vibe I can't figure out why anyone would want to ride around you guys anyway.

You guys make us nervous. We have 15ft of mast, you have 60ft of high tension lines that can remove body parts. When you boost, we don't know where you will land. A windsurfers path is predictable, most windsurfers assume the other windsurfer understands right of way rules. We are not as sure about kiters having that knowledge. There is also good versus bad judgement. On sunday a kiter was on a diagonal path across the slot, yes he had right of way but to cross such a narrow area with such a wide foot print with so many people there already was bad judgement to me.

stupop wrote:
I'll gladly take north beach or Zeros for my riding but it is fun to ride around people who are sharing the stoke sometimes.

Great!

stupop wrote:
What gives?

Kite lines hitting masts, kiters body slamming windsurfers, kiters landing in the path of windsurfers, close calls, peeps on the beach being takin out by kites. Just to name a few.

The good news is that I windsurfed yesterday, there were other windsurfers out and kiters, I had no problems and I didn't hear of anyone else having any either. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: