myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River Waterfront Sunday was a Sight to See!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Hood River Waterfront Sunday was a Sight to See! Reply with quote

Windsurfer or not..., The Hood River Waterfront on Sunday was a spectacular scene!

I don't think I've ever seen so much activity occurring at the same time at the Hood River Waterfront. Here's what I think I saw:

Sailboat race: A dozen or more 20-30 ft sailboats beating upwind to The Springcreek Fish Hatchery then screaming downwind past The Event Site with spinnakers flying - spectacular!

Slalom Sailboard Course Racing - Dozens of superpowered formula racers competing. Watch that first bouy! Appeared the same fellow was always in the lead - (Sailworks rig / guess who?).

SUP fleet paddling downwind past The Waterfront Park from somewhere.

Kiters Galore: How many times have you heard, "....how do they keep from getting tangled in each others lines?" Ha! I'm not sure either.

Lots and lots of recreational windsurfers, locals and visitors. Saw several folks/acquaintances from out of town sailing sites (S.F., Baja, Canadia, Chicago) Good to have seen you!

Numerous aircraft overhead: Standard / Vintage / Experimental and Gliders in tow.

Many Waterfront strollers trying to beat the (relentless) heat, swimmers, picnickers, families / children / dogs playing on playground.

I'm not sure if this is what those who designed The Waterfront Park envisioned..., but I hope so, and suggest that they should all feel really good about themselves. Thank you! How can we extend it all the way to The Hook?

I'm certain all the activity poses some challenges which need addressing, (not the least of which is parking) but this has got to be good for Hood River and the surrounding community. Just a beautiful day and scene, even though I never got out to sail before the wind died Smile Let's hope for many more to come, shall we?

CUSalin'

d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoke! I can't wait to be there later this month. I hope there's still some wind. Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hood River Waterfront Sunday was a Sight to See! Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what those who designed The Waterfront Park envisioned..., but I hope so, and suggest that they should all feel really good about themselves. Thank you! How can we extend it all the way to The Hook?

We must never forget the efforts of people like Steve Gates, who helped persuade the Hood River planners not to turn the entire waterfront into concrete shipping docks.

Mike \m/
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa Mike

I have never heard anything about any port member advocating shipping docks . I suggest moving forward..

The Port was essential in securing windsurfing and growing it, especially from 1980 when I sailed here alone with a few friends.

They also upgraded the Marina and even dredged one year, bringing earthmovers out.

The Port was also essential in developing the Event Site and the Hook.

Gary Gorman, Doug Campbell, Carol York and so many others worked with the Port to secure these areas.

Later leaders like Bart, Ann Froedel and tireless Linda Maddox maintained awareness that resulted in what we have today.

And its all good . there are so many others to thank! These are the some of the key leaders who stuck their necks out. Please thank them and the many others I should name here.

What we have is terrific as pointed out in the lead post. Citizens. port and city ALL came together and met the challenges!

Special thanks to Linda Maddox who now recovers from double knee replacement. Thank her if you see here , just like Doug and Gary!
jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a great day indeed, i was happy to be competing in the gorge challenge windsurf racing and happy to be able to see all of these other wonderful events happening alongside each other in such harmony. the waterfront park sure would have been the place to be yesterday to watch all of this commotion, imagine the kite blow out being yesterday Smile . well i better go get on the water, its windy.

alex nielsen
dghmiel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Isn't the new park terrific! Yes it is working as we intended. The City's Park Development Committee worked hard to design a park for everyone, family friendly beach, "watersport's launch", habitat enhancement, great lawn, etc.

AND the Waterfront Community Park Association under the tireless leadership of Ann Frodel, raised the local money -- from hundred of full time and part time residents and businesses -- to secure the big grants to build the park.

Yes, there's is more to do including enhanced parking, picnic tables and shade trees. SEND YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO WCPA, PO BOX 1005 Hood River, OR 97031.

Christine Knowles
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh no forgot Christine! now I feel really silly

there are others

thanks to all

where does the list end and start
pabloson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post CUSAILING. Thanks for the stoke. I've noticed the "scene" this summer too and have trouble not bangin' my bumpers into the bridge railings on the way across. Just want to stop and marvel!

The new waterfront park launch is EXCELLENT on the bare feet. Lovely grass rigging area and river rock steps.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh... I almost forgot, there were several Osprey and a Bald Eagle too!
Andre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visting from SF, glad to have been there on Sunday. Sailed to the hatch and back: wonderful. A great description of a great day. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: