myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Most powerful sail that goes with:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredFX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Most powerful sail that goes with: Reply with quote

A boom that goes out to 229
and a 460 mast (Though I can get a 490)

This roughly translates to the 7.5-8.5 range. I need a big sail for racing because my Simmer Sail is breaking down fast. Anyways, I feel like I want a cammed sail because they're faster (right?), but my previous and only experience with a cammed sail was a 2001 RS:X Neil Pryde 6.6 (3 cams) and the cams were impossibly hard to put on. I'm kind of wondering if that's standard with all cammed sails or if it was just that one or older sails or something.

Last edited by FredFX on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
thombiz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model Simmer is breaking down fast? I've been recommending the 3-XC's based on my usage. I think they are great, but, if they age and breaking down quickley after year or so, I need to know.

Last edited by thombiz on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
FredFX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
Which model Simmer is breaking down fast? I've been recommending the 3-XC's based on my usage. I think they are great, but, if they age and breaking down quickley after year of so, I need to know.

It's kind of a different problem. I'm using the 2 XC, but it's an '08 prototype, so I've never managed to get the boom and mast extension lengths quite right. Thus, in the last 4 sessions, one of my battens has ripped through both its sleeve and the mast sleeve 3 times. I've sealed it with silicon gel, but it keeps popping out Confused

Anyways, I don't think it's SimmerSails's fault (although better rigging specs would've helped a lot), but the point is that the sail is dieing, and I have a feeling that if I went to a shop to repair the batten sleeve, at some point in the near future, the batten would pop back out again, making it a better idea just to buy a new sail.
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power AND racing: two conflicting needs.

For power in a smaller size, I was going to recommend 7.5 Ezzy Zephyr, 460 mast boom 215-229, check out info on their web site. Also without cams. I got one for low winds, works pretty well. Extreme forward draft, big pop when flipping sail, less range (at a given setting) than other sails I have had, very light, good construction, good price.
For more traditional free-race design without cams, Hot Sails Maui makes a Speed Demon with short boom lengths, you can get really big sail with a 490 mast, I think up to a 9.7. I had a 9.0, good sail but hated sailing such a big sail. All my other sails are Hot, great construction, extremely good prices on the web site when they have close-outs.

dhmark
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2009 Aerotech Rapid Fires are great. Everything you are looking for, methinks. Also Aerotechs are very durable at competitive weights.

The E Zephyr was built for long boards BTW. It may require a large fin to compensate for the intentionally longer boom and higher draft when used on a short board.

www.aerotechsails.com
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a sail repair guy, I would think it would be a very easy problem to solve correctly and permanently by replacing a portion of the batten pocket cover with new stronger fabric/film, then fabricating a new pocket end out of kevlar reinforced scrim and tough nylon webbing.
I've not heard of someone using silicone for this kind of problem.
FredFX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Power AND racing: two conflicting needs.

dhmark

By "power", I mean speed; maybe I'm not using the word power correctly, but what I mean to say is that I'd rather have a smaller sail that goes faster than a bigger, slower one.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to consider is whether you want a freeride type sail with a larger powerful pocket, or a flatter slalom race type sail. The former sail type will offer a maximum low end grunt, but a limited high end, whereas the latter sail type will offer somewhat less low end and far better high end control and speed. Most slalom racers tend to go with a larger sized sail to gain reasonable low end power and still maintain the high end performance.

If you really want to race, the slalom race sail is a much better choice, especially if you aren't a heavyweight. Lastly, if you want the optimum rig, I'd recommend a brand new 100% carbon mast that's recommended for the sail you buy. If you can't afford 100% carbon, I wouldn't settle for anything less than 75% carbon.
kursatu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Aerotech VMG 7.5 (2005) for sale.
It might be just what you are looking for, in terms
of mast/boom/sailarea and power.
It is very easy to rig and this size is the largest size I
am using for slalom sizes.
I"ve sent you a pm as well.
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KA Koncept 7.5 is the call in speed and power as well stability in overpowered condition, send an e-mail to
Jonathan@windsurfdeal.com the Norcal rep to go for a demo ride.
You will be impressed.

In the Cabrillo Beach Enduro this weekend KA Koncept 7.5 toke

1 and 3rd place in the Open Class
3rd place in the Master class against Formula boards and bigger NP, North, Hansen and Gaastra sails.
The sport class 1 place KA Kult 7.0 and 3rd KA kult 5.8

Have fun and sail fast.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: