myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ProMotion wetsuit fit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: ProMotion wetsuit fit Reply with quote

I sail Crissy and a little Coyote and like being warm. I heard good things about ProMotion wetsuits so bought a 5/3 "MLT" sized suit (medium-large tall). Their fit chart showed almost a perfect fit for my dimensions, though I am on the short side of the height range. But when I got it in the mail, it seems the arms are really baggy. Not just "a lose fit", but actually baggy. It seems I will collect a lot of water in those arms that will spill down the suit.

Anyone else experience this? I am waiting for a response from ProMotion on this.

Thanks!
katosandog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 5/3 and it fits MUCH snugger in the arms, and I don't have big arms.
ldhr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotion makes their suits for windsurfers. They allow extra room in the sleeves for the forearm pump that may windsurfers get.
Judging by th epicture, you are tall and skinny. Your arms appear to be quite thin.
I live in HR and have 3 promo suits, but they were all custom fitted.
Suggest you return your suit with the enclosed picture. Either thay can customize the sleeves or maybe send you one of their suits built for surfing,,, which don't have the oversized sleeves.
I think there are a couple of items you should never buy online without the chance to try them on - wetsuits being one of them.
lucian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments so far.

My arms aren't actually that skinny. I'd accept a bit less than they should be, but they are about normal.

Promotion just got back to me and suggested I try it in the water for a bit and if I want it re-cut, they will alter it for $38. Hmmmm. I already paid $320.

I think I'll send them the measurements from the sleeves and make sure they check out against their patterns for that size of suit.

Maybe I'll catch fish in those baggy sleeves and the suit will pay for itself.

I've noticed one name conspicuously missing from any wetsuit discussion I found here: Neil Pryde. Anyone have any experience with the 3000? 5000? The top of the line seems a bit overkill.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy my full suits loose. It makes them much easier to get on and off, gives me room to wear fleece or neoprene beneath them, and lets me move freely. At 5'9" and 190# I wear a ProMotion XXLS dry suit for guys 200-220, 5'10" to 6'2", chest 46"-48". I've never liked the tight feel most people go for, especially when taking the suit off at the end of the day, I like to breathe freely when heaving for air, and this suit slips on and off like an old, cheap, stretched-out shorty. By most people's standards, I'd wear an XLS ProMotion at most, but I tried both sizes and chose the XXLS for comfort. Its arms are quite loose, not unlike yours. No water gets in, but then mine's a dry suit.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to like pro-motion suits, local business and all, but I really don't like the fit. I had a PM shorty 15 years ago and it was ok, but i stick to O'neil full and shorty suits.

Also, I think the PM suits look a little gay....not that there is anything wrong with being gay.

intro_r1_c2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.01 KB
 Viewed:  21788 Time(s)

intro_r1_c2.jpg

blythefly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can be a little gay - just don't look gay!!! Smile
D-wo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a LT Promotion suit. The sleeves are baggy and too long. I'm 6'8". The Body Glove I owned previously fit better. Body type is always a consideration, I just needed a suit that was long enough.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That suit is too big for you.
jackg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely call them up. I've spoken with them on the phone, they'll help find the right fit for you, especially since you can use the suit they shipped you as a reference. One thing to consider is that a 5/4 may be overkill for the bay if you are a summer sailor. A 4/3 should provide enough insurance in case of break down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: