myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Doug's 40+mph! Who rocked that bad-boy yesterday?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trudyl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Kookin out Reply with quote

Dougs was very windy on Friday. At 1pm there was only about 10 sailors on the water and it was great. However I should have stopped after 3 hours on my 2.7. I started to kook out around hour 4. Jibing became a major event on the other side. Water starting started to become hard. However one of the better days I had, just was having too much fun to stop after 3 hours.
swmckay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug's on Friday afternoon was my first-ever session at The Gorge. I've honestly never seen anything like it in my life. I saw the mid-air mast-snap, didn't even know that was possible. And rigs flying 100' downwind after mid-air bailouts. I did a couple of tacks across the river and back on a 3.2, and came back shell-shocked. I managed to recover enough to get back out there and get some jumps off of those 8' waves.

It comes as a relief to learn that it was windy even by Gorge standards. I was wondering how you folks stay alive if it's always like that.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windy even by gorge standards but there have been numerous 3.5 days and just cause trudy is on a 2.7 good sailor as she is does not mean that some guys are on 3.7's. Wink what was Larry on?
pabloson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mckay, friday was your 1st day in the gorge??!!! wow, way to get out there and brave the conditions.

i sailed avery on my 3.2 way op'd, gusting over 50 like Doug's. waves head high and juicy smooth. love avery like that, but kinda lonely as everybody high tailed it out of there

the spray was so high velocity that it was stinging my face much worse that I have every experienced, and then I realized that it wasn't spray, it was SAND blowing off the island!!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this video of the friday at doug's....Dale sent his gear on it's own session. this is why i sail doug's west.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjM68ZRg70&eurl=http://www.facebook.com/home.php%3F&feature=player_embedded#t=28
swmckay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it really was my first day there. I had just come from 10 days of sailing on Maui in 4.2/4.7 conditions. One session was blowing 35-45, so I figured I'd be warmed up for whatever gusty conditions the Gorge threw at me. As it turned out, not so much. It was fun, but geez...
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
this is why i sail doug's west.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjM68ZRg70&eurl=http://www.facebook.com/home.php%3F&feature=player_embedded#t=28

This is why I don't launch at Doug's in these conditions..... too much risk, not worth the possible deadly consequences.

This video reminds me of when I got knocked unconscious by an irresponsible windsurfer who let go of his rig at Hatch / Cheap Beach.... nearly cost me my life, not to mention the hundreds of dollars in repairs to my gear that I had to fork out. Nope, the dude didn't even bother to stick around to say "sorry".

Anyone else feel the outrage?

Not saying that Dale is being irresponsible here.... just saying that this video isn't so funny or "cool" when you consider the possible injuries (or death) that could result from such a stunt-gone-bad.

The message needs to be.... ALWAYS SAIL IN CONTROL OR GET OFF THE WATER!!!!!

- WMP
pabloson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmp nasty accident, wow.

but really we need to push the envelope at least a LITTLE don't you think? sail a touch beyond control? how else do we improve (and stay interested). But for sure, should never endanger those around us.

Dale always looks like he is climbing up a ladder when he jumps. So cool.
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabloson wrote:
wmp nasty accident, wow.

we need to push the envelope at least a LITTLE don't you think?

Sure thing.... up to a point.... and the more experience you have, the more you should know where to draw that line. Dale should know better. In gusty / choppy / crowded conditions, it's probably best not to attempt to these type of high jumps?

Nothing worse than a pole boarder doing Russian roulette with a loose cannon on the playground.

Fact is, there is no amount of safety gear that will protect you 100% from flying gear.... it can break your neck. Is it worth the risk of death? Is it worth the lawsuit that would surely follow?

- WMP
Droogle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah blah.... Or one could just stay at home on the days it nukes, instead of whining.. Go big Dale, you rock! I'll just keep upwind of you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: