myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Doug's 40+mph! Who rocked that bad-boy yesterday?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Dale is sure great to watch when he makes smooth landings. However, video's such as this just make him look like a crazy kook & a dangerous liability at a demolition derby. Is this where windsurfing is going? If it is, I'll certainly try my best to distance myself from you people.

I spent 6 hours on the river that day... well powered on a 3.7 catching big air on a far less crowded site. Never lost control, no risk to others... had a blast! But of course, I had no reason to show off in front of any cameras.

-- WMP
Droogle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope that IS where this sport is going! Dale is the only one going THAT big here though. Sounds like a good plan to stay clear of the dude with flames all over his rig, launching 30+ feet of air. Perhaps it's a good reminder to stay clear of anyone up wind of you/us, things obviously go wrong without intention in any conditions. Go big or go home!!
dalecookusd7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad!!!!!! I was sailing downwind of Dougs with five of my close friends that know my sailing style. I definatly push the envelope in this sport, but I have never let go of my gear without knowing people are not in danger. In other videos you can see me holding onto my gear in a bad crash if someone is in danger. I can only think of a handfull of bailouts in the last couple of years. I don't jump big for camera's, I jump for my own passion for the sport I love. Sorry if I scared anybody, but I made sure know one was going to get hurt. I'm not much for posting or grammer, I'd rather be out having fun.
Dale Cook

wmp.. I'll talk to you on the beach personally about your kook remark..
billgfc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale good post!

Dale is authentic and honest... the real deal!
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys that are throwing the big moves know what and who is down wind just in case you do have to bail. The video doesn't show it from the sailors perspective. It was a big day and those are the days when you want to push it the most. If you don't like progression, go to sail with WMP. Rolling Eyes
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a stalling jump. Had he decided to try to land it, methinks a broken board was in store. Good choice Dale. That's what happens when I sail then jump that over powered. The landings from that high without a forward tradjectery are murder on all gear, and the body too. Cheers to all that got that sesh.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is not a good example of safe sailing.... never know if someone might be downwind. I've seen people come out from nowhere, hidden by large swell. All I'm saying here is consider the risks and consequences involved if there's ever a death resulting from this style of sailing. Fact is, we had a death here last year in this same area. Never, never underestimate the power of the wind. If you want to be bitchy at me for saying this.... alright, fine.... I can take it. Just be safe out there!!
billgfc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safety first, says Dale as well

did you read what Dale just wrote?

I have sailed with and around Dale since he was young and unknown.

He shares safety first as well. You work up to this level one step at a time!
deanwfenwick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: WMP Reply with quote

Dear WMP, You are waaaaay out of line in on your posts in this thread. Listen, if you want to advocate safe sailing and even point out the dangers of a specific jump in classy way then that’s your prerogative. However, you are directly attacking a specific well known sailer in a very public forum that, in and of itself, is very un-cool. To make it worse you couldn’t be more wrong about Dale - he does not sail recklessly. Dale most certainly does not jump or sail just for the cameras – you really don’t know him then. Suggesting he is reckless and needs to get out of the water is ridiculous. Dale has rescued a ton of people on the river including one that particular day at Dougs. He has taken the time to help hundreds of people rig sails (regardless of brand) answer questions about gear or technique and is for sure one of the nicest people around. By the way, that’s a very nice picture of Dale in your signature picture.
- Dean Fenwick
Droogle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice your sinature picture of Dale! That is to funny that you are giving him a hard time, yet have that picture. Such a classic poster thing to do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: