myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Doug's 40+mph! Who rocked that bad-boy yesterday?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i really want to know is how he got his gear back, you'd have to michael phelps it.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a work of advice from one who deals this with this frequently....

Be careful of what you say about others based on video. Video does NOT show all the information from all the angles. So what you think you see, may not be accurate at all. I have several photographs of me windsurfing what appears to be on a collision course with somebody 5 feet away, yet they were WAY farther away than that. That is how the camera lens deals with stuff. I won't even get into how careful editing of film can completely change the story. Also ONE camera angle does not show the entire story....

On the other hand, Dale you ROCK!!! Keep charging.....
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my post with dales video was not to disparage dale, since there were maybe 15 sailors out at that time spread out at doug's not so bad. not like a 200+ salior day at the hatch/ swell on a busy 4.0 day. but, i do like to sail a bit up wind at doug's or the hatch and get away from the freestylers and the tourists...
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Gusty? Reply with quote

swmckay wrote:
Yeah, it really was my first day there. I had just come from 10 days of sailing on Maui in 4.2/4.7 conditions. One session was blowing 35-45, so I figured I'd be warmed up for whatever gusty conditions the Gorge threw at me. As it turned out, not so much. It was fun, but geez...

That day at that location was NOT gusty.
Bret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the camera was zoomed in! No one was in jeapordy.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm

"The depth of field" of the lense is the issue when filming. Have you ever watched an "outrageous audio" commercial? That is center of attention! The depth of field is stressed!

A camera from a helicopter would have been the best focal point for Dale. If you watch any Video on Maui they have Helicopters for this vary reason. The Helicopter shot's are so awesome! And a big thanks to the people in the Gorge that film or photograph such awesome people here!

No one died! The video was awesome! Sail upwind! Who cares! Nice and uplifting! Great!!!! Thanks Dale!!!
laci

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true, what made Friday the 7th so special was that the wind was filled in wall to wall. The problem with 3.2 days isn't the gusts, it's the holes! That day was solid wind. Awesome.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WMP Reply with quote

deanwfenwick wrote:
Dear WMP, You are waaaaay out of line in on your posts <snip> Suggesting he is reckless and needs to get out of the water is ridiculous.

Wow, I just got back from great trip to the coast and found this stuff ... heh-heh... sorry, I can't stop laughing. Laughing Laughing

Read carefully what I wrote folks. Never wrote "Dale was wreckless and needs get out of the water."... heh- heh.... I've got nothing but HIGH respect for the dude. What I did attack was that video.... it made him LOOK like a kook from that particular angle (IMHO). YES, the word "kook" was mentioned by me and it did offend Dale, so tell ya what, I will treat him to a FREE brewski and his chosen location.

Funny.... I just don't understand how my concern about safety on the water can be dostorted to seem so "WAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of line"?

-- WMP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: