myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting and windsurfing together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wspurgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Kiting and windsurfing together Reply with quote

The wind was gusting over 30 kts on Saturday at the Event Site. There was more windsurfing and kiting there than I have seen all summer. It was especially dense on the Washington side where many of the windsurfers jibe. I am always amazed at how the kiters sail so close to each other without conflict. As a windsurfer I try to keep well clear of the kiters and their lines. But this afternoon as I was thinking of making my jibe on the Washington side from port to starboard I saw several kiters in my path coming toward me. I could not head up enough to go above them, nor could I clear the leeward one so I went between them. One of them yelled at me and I do apologize because I was on the port tack. The problem seems to me to be that the kiter requires considerable clearance on his leeward side and the exact distance is not clear to the windsurfer. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty tight in some places up there today. Up by the red buoy wasn't too bad. I'll crank a turn and go the other way to avoid them. You can get pretty close to a kiter if they fly their kite high. It was a great day.
wskbski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: RE: Kiting and windsurfing together Reply with quote

COEXIST...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWoJwCnL7Bo
Bret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice the rule well ahead oncoming traffic and look around you all times.......you have the right of way when you are being overtacken.....I wish "they" all knew it! Some jackass overtook me on a reach and cut me off, oh darn I just kept going with a big smile!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sailor who insists on sailing anything in crowds has no basis for complaints about being crowded. Ya does yer best and lives with the results.

Mike \m/
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vasco and Isobars have the right attitude on this one. It's not a whole lot different than the Hatchery on a busy day. Most right of way gets replaced with what makes sense in the moment, with the 5% who will do what they want, when they want, regardless.

I windsurfed for 23 years before moving to kiting in 2000. As a "kiter" now, I can say that I really ENJOY being out there on a big day with windsurfers. Partly because most of them are friends, but also because most know when to take a swell, and when to yield, regardless of Marine Right of Way rules.

I can say this, on a crowded day now, the "straight line I have right of way across river speed run" just ain't gonna work. There are too many folks, some of those kiters coming almost straight down wind for that to be a realistic option.

Also, understand that many experienced kiters will cut you off, but often times what they are doing is adjusting for others that are behind you. Remember that kiters must consider a 100' arc and plan ahead.

Eric
Hood River
Andre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten really good at pointing upwind from racing Windsurfer One Designs. Out reach 'em. That seems to work well the majority of the time.
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really easy to read kiters..... much, much easier than reading windsurfers. I find it especially friendly sailing around the White Salmon Bridge.... there's just a certain flow that happens and you just need to understand and adjust to what is happening and go with it. Lawn mowing really irritates kiters to the max... need to allow them the choice and freedom when you are on port, take to the swell action on starboard and move decisively and efficiently and *IN CONTROL*.... they'll absolutely love you so much !!

I would much rather sail with a group of kiters than windsurfers any day... most are so much more reasonable and forgiving. If anyone is considering kiting vs. windsurfing, I would highly recomend kiting as a better sport... much better vibe... much, much better group of friendly folks. Smile

- WMP
katosandog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I windsurf, and I still haven't got in tune with kites - I don't see them as easily as other craft, I can't tell which way they are going right away, etc.

BUT, I sense a huge change in attitude on both sides in the last couple of years. I don't know many kiters, but there's too many windsurfers stuck in the past about the dangers of being on the water with kites. The VAST majority of kiters are really, really, really great to sail with and readily acknowledge you if you show them a little respect or give them a little ground when they need it. And it's great to watch guys hoist big air on a day like Saturday - the White Salmon bridge was like a playground / big screen combo. If you weren't doing something, you could watch something.

I dunno about anybody else, but Saturday was one of my best ever days in the Gorge. I have never had such steady winds in the Corridor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: