myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf wife- advice needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is way to easy. It's simple. You just let the other half know there is one thing you will absolutely not tolerate. And that would be any discussion of my windsurfing habit. (I whisper to myself in complete silence as I wash the dishes, fix the house, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, etc.)

Then, you simply buy them a horse or two and then cry about how you can go ride everyday and I have to wait for the weather to cooperate.

The best part with the horsies is the monthly stable rent, the vet bills, the blacksmith, the new saddle, the new boots, coat, etc. Costs that far exceed my windsurfing habit's needs.

Of course we're always broke but it is a fair trade off for unlimited get out of jail cards.

Gitty up, honey!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen....It all goes south anyway, so my advice is to WIndsurf as much as possible, all day, every day, no regrets.
Boggsman
saychad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO! I can't resit. All the honey doer's have the wrong idea. They are conditioning their significant others that a chore list is ok.. Simply, annoy the heck out of anyone around so that when the wind shows up they'll be glad you're gone. If this works for anyone let me know!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me. My wife's always thinking, reading, planning, gardening, teaching gardening, working on some project, etc., and hates to be interrupted, and when I'm gone there's no one to interrupt her. "I'm goin' sailing. See you when the wind quits." That works for days now that we're both retired, just like it worked for months before she retired.

Of course, it has to work both ways, like when she says. "I'm flying to Ohio to see Mom and Kim next week. The pantry is stocked."

Mike \m/
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's worked for me is:

1) Find good friends who windsurf and are married

2) Get your wives to be good friends

3) Coordinate group activities with friends/wives outside of windsurfing to get everyone getting along

The result is your wife will tend to be more understanding if your windsurfing with her friend's husband. She'll also not want to be the wet blanket for being the one wife who won't let you get out. Works great!

DC
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the ideas here about pleasing your wife to death before you head out to be a big mistake. That strategy will eventually wear thin. A true sports addict's wife will see a distinct personality difference between a husband who gets to cycle, windsurf, ski, run, whatever , and a husband who is being rationed. The Mrs. will insist you get out of the house when she sees the trees start to dance and your eyes start to dart around looking for a an exit.
Boggsman
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remind her you could be into Monster truck Rallies, NASCAR or WWF WRESTLING.
And a good back rub always helps
good luck Razz
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that works great, but why even have an SO around to annoy,
yur not going to be gett'n any that way any way.

saychad wrote:
LMFAO! I can't resit. All the honey doer's have the wrong idea. They are conditioning their significant others that a chore list is ok.. Simply, annoy the heck out of anyone around so that when the wind shows up they'll be glad you're gone. If this works for anyone let me know!
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most wives are fine with you taking off when it is windy until you have kids. It is easier for a grown up to understand that it is windy and dad needs to disappear then it is for kids.

So the real question is how do you get your family involved in outdoor time so that dad can windsurf and not neglect the kids and wife?

Josh
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my best moves is to tell one of my friends on the phone, that the wife doesn't want me to go. You have to make sure the wife is in earshot. She'll quickly recant while you cover the phone with your hand.

"What's that, you don't mind, oh, you want me to go?"

"Uh, OK, Broham, sound like we're on. I'll bring the brew."

Now, what I am not saying, is that there are no consequences to this move. It must be used sparingly and strategically! But it's HIGHLY effective 'round my house once or twice a year.

RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: