myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tillamook Bay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tatorific

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Tillamook Bay Reply with quote

We are heading to the coast next week. I'm not sure I want to sail the ocean, but we will be next to Tillamook Bay. Is that a good place to teach the girlfriend and bring bigger gear?

I use to sailing Lake Michigan which can get big and crazy, so I would like to try the ocean on a smaller day. Is there any place near Cape Meares that is worth trying?

Thanks

Tatorific
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Tillamook Bay was a protected Estuary. Not sure if you can sail there or not.

Floras Lake would be the spot, if you can drive that far south. She can stand up on both sides easily and there is pretty good wind there. Once she gets in a session, you can bolt to Cape Sebastian or the Rock for a real wave session. Its the best.

You may also want to check out the trail down to the beach from the scenic overlook before you get to the Cape. You can drop your girl at the trail and she can hike an unreal beautiful trail down to the beach and then follow the beach down to the Cape. Watch for the turnoff at the top of the mountain. The hike down and back up is one I only recommend if you're not planning to sail that day. Cool
jesusjones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nehalem Bay or Manzanita…, check the internet before you go…..
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tator - the Oregon coast is for expert sailors only. It's cold, you need a 5mil suit and booties. It's no place for a person to learn. The only place for a person to learn is Floras Lake which is way south near the town of Bandon.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle and northern OR ocean sailing in NNW (not southerly) breezes is nothing to be alarmed about; it's just a LOT of hard work. Neither jibing nor DTL wave sailing experience is required. What IS required at most OR open ocean spots is the determination, motivation, sheer strength, muscular and anaerobic endurance, and masochism to schlep your freaking gear across -- and later back across -- 100-200 yards of deep sand dunes swept by much stronger winds than you'll be sailing in (that ... or the gear-totin' skills acquired only by doing this all summer). Most freshwater sailors don't expend that much effort in a day of WSing. If doing that leaves you with the reserves to actually go WINDSURFING, by all means give it a try if conditions look modest. Just don't forget to save some additional energy reserves for fighting your way out through the impact zone in very holey winds.

What do you get for all that effort? An appetite. Humbled. The thrill of sailing in the open ocean ... sort of like heading several miles north from Kanaha or several miles west from Kihei ... way out of the kiddie pool. And, unless you rig more sail, board, and fin than you normally would in that much wind, you get to walk a half mile back upwind after the rip current and holey winds carry you ever southerly.

Threatening? Nahh. Dangerous? Nahh. Work? HELL, yes! Rewarding? Yes ... if you keep a good attitude about it. Exhausting? Well, sure ... but if we're not exhausted (and the daylight and wind still exist), why quit? If you don't save enough energy to carry your kit back to your van, then leave it, change clothes, eat something, and THEN fetch your gear from the dunes. (Just keep an eye on it so beachcombing clueless tourists don't claim it as "salvage".)

I've had buds who couldn't yet jibe love their first ocean session, and I've seen huge crowds of good Gorge sailors totally overwhelmed by it, at the same spot. The differences were expectations, attitude ... and 2.5 meters of sail size; your first OR coast session shouldn't be powered up on a 2.8.

My first OR coast sesh was at Nehalem Bay, alone, in complete, sheltered, flat, nearby comfort and security. Other than the sandbars, you can't go wrong there. My next 18-20 trips to the OR coast were for ocean sailing. Bottom line: if you're strong and fit, you should try it. As long as you know the basics (e.g., keep your fallen gear between you and the shore and hang on to the mast tip, inbound sailors should grant ROW to outboard, don't cut off anyone going down the line, keep North America in sight [violating that one is spooky], the easy way to walk back upwind is in knee-deep water with your board floating, wear welding goggles [the sun is DIRECTLY above the nose of your board]) and expect to get yer ass worked, you'll enjoy it ... probably.

Your girlfriend will absolutely LOVE the OR coast ... as long as she stays the HELL out of the ocean.

Mike \m/
fiddel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a spot at Florence, just before you get to the south jetty, on the right. It's in the river, usually windier than the ocean, and pretty flat. I've never sailed there but seen several people do so. You'll need an OR state park pass there; if you go all the way out to the jetty, you won't. Florence has great wave sailing on the ocean side, but the south jetty is one of the most miserable places to rig and hang out.
anthwind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bay sailing is in the winter with south wind. For this weekend for beginner conditions. Netarts Bay might work. Another option is Siltez Bay. Note you need high tide on each. Youngs Bay is also good.
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Coast, you're looking at Nehalem Bay outside of Manzanita for flat water and Manzanita for waves. Neither is a good teaching/learning spot, but you will have fun. There is no sailing in Tillamook Bay, but you are less than an hour from Nehalem/Manzanita. Leave your girlfriend on the beach with the camera unless she has a strong water start, can jibe, and stay up wind. You'll both be happier.
Bret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule # 1 Never teach your girl friend.

Rule # 2 Never teach your girl friend.

I learned the hard way one summer. This has been noted several times in Windsurfing magazine and kevin Pritchard had a great article back in 2004 as to never teach a girl friend to windsurf because you may not have a girlfriend after that. Smile

Drive to Hood River and talk to Jak at Hood river waterplay for a lesson.

Dude trust me, thanks!
tatorific

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...

I have given the GF lessons already this year and we have had a ton of fun together. I have never seen happier and smile bigger. She was a way better then I was years ago when I tried windsurfing for the first time. I would never try to teach someone in the ocean that would be just plan dumb.

As for me I have sailed the East Coast, the whole Gorge, and the Great Lakes. Believe it or not Lake Michigan can be way nasty, one really nice thing about it is no big fishes.

I was just hoping maybe that Tillamook Bay might be fun for her and I would have like to try the West Coast for the first time. I know the water is cold that's why I have a drysuit.

Thanks for all the input... I'm not stupid and know my limits. Hey I live in the Gorge and have my whole life to sail!

Tator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: