myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
difference between no cam 2 or 3 cam and race sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billgfc wrote:

In summary the original question was about sails.

The original question was actually asking about the differences between cam vs. camless sails.... no mention of how old or how new these sails should be.

Bill, you're the one who suggested we talk about newer (2-3 years) sails. I just happen to sail with convertible cam sails that are 15 years old. I answered the question with examples of how it feels to sail with cams and without cams with these sails. So, is my feedback any less valid because I don't use the particular sails and particular age you prefer?

- WMP
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response was directed to the original question. nowhere did I state my preference in sails for my sailing, only what regular sailors testing certain newer sails expressed.

I wrote:

"Note that I used first hand feedback to describe the designs I wrote of. Little related to what I feel when I sailed them. What is important is what does the sailor feel. Is a change noted? Is that change enjoyed? "

I do suggest we talk for once about new sails and rigs for once. There are changes. If sailors select carefully , they will note the difference and choose for themselves.

You love your stuff, how about rigging it on the beach and then asking a small sample of sailors who sail stuff three years old (with right mast) or newer to test and write about the difference between your rig and the newer?

Maybe we get answers. We know what you like. What do they like?
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are here to share our experiences.... I am sharing mine. Problem is, Bill, you seem to feel only people who sail newer gear have valid opinions.

3 years ago I was trying out new gear. I tried various new boards and the Hucker sail thinking it offered something new and improved over my older NW sails. I didn't like the way it responded (power too high for me) as well as the heavy weight and stiffness... difficult to rig.

Feedback from other sailors who have bought new quivers in the last 3 years have all been the same..... nothing really improved over the older sails.

Trust me on this.... if there were someone out there sailing long marathon sesh's with more floaty airtime and more successful snappy jibes.... but doing it better than me all year-round with a bigger smile, I'd be very, very interested in what gear they use. ... honest!

Truth is, I've not seen this.

To the original poster I would suggest doing a little homework and buying cheap 10+ year old used no-cam sails until he's got the experience, knowledge, and strength for high performance cam sails in a few years.... cam sails are a real PAIN when you are just learning to waterstart, getting into the straps, or learning to jibe. Perhaps when you get really good, then consider buying a new quiver of cam sails for the conditions you will sail in regularly.

- WMP
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said anywhere that only those sailing newer gear have valid options.
you have suggested you like your old stuff better and that is terrific.

If you feel older stuff is better, why not just rig and let others with new stuff try?

After testing the Hucker, did you give your feedback to Bruce or Dale? Was it rigged and on the right mast? Maybe you selected the wrong model
Did you go to Blake and test a 2009 Northwave. Are you saying Blake's newer sails are not as good as the old?

Did you go to someone on the beach with newer Naish or Maui Sails rigged correctly?

Again BETTER FOR YOU-- terrific! Your personal preferences are respected, BUT since you recommend old stuff...
better for the guy who asked the original question?

I do agree with some of your feedback on others buying newer stuff> I see this all the time as well when they cannot feel the improvement.

1. How many rigged the right mast?
2. How many rigged correctly and had help from someone who is trained in rigging?
3. Is the brand dead serious with consumer R&D? Do they live it?

Not all sails are alike.

Neither is coffee: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/09/29/starbucks-via-instant-coffee-wont-caffeinate-starbucks-in-an-in/?icid=webmail

Consumers will try and if they do not like look out!
That is why I am posting first hand feedback on new sails direct from sailors. No sexy ads or colors needed!
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billgfc wrote:

If you feel older stuff is better, why not just rig and let others with new stuff try?

Because nobody is going to like the extreme low end power and acceleration that these sails have the way I rig them... takes some TIME to get use to it.... but I wouldn't want them rigged any other way.

billgfc wrote:

After testing the Hucker, did you give your feedback to Bruce or Dale?

Yes, in fact, I did. Dale explained to me the difference between what I sail with and what this sail offers. It just wasn't the right sail for me, that's all.

billgfc wrote:

Did you go to Blake and test a 2009 Northwave. Are you saying Blake's newer sails are not as good as the old?

No, I'm just going with what experienced sailors are saying about the newer NW sails.... very different from what I sail with (lame).... and if folks like 'em, that's just fine with me. I'm very happy with what I've got.... no reason to change sails.

billgfc wrote:

Did you go to someone on the beach with newer Naish or Maui Sails rigged correctly?

You could'nt pay me enough money to change my sails unless the new sails give me what I'm looking for in a sail.

Give me something that will give me big floaty airtime. Give me something that I can laydown a jibe and accelerate out of at full throttle without stalling. GIVE ME SOMETHING WITH LOW END POWER!!!

Never mind, I've already got it..... used at $15 a pop.... wow, can't beat that !!

BTW, Rufus was a sweet 4.2 with butter smooth swell this afternoon, hope you found some of that.

- WMP
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never thought I would start such a dialogue with my post. Let me suggest that anyone interested in the camber inducer debate try a forum search. Looking at the old vs. new debate, you can do the same thing. However, I want to add something in support of Bill's point of view. I bought an '06 NP V-8 after it was discounted. I discovered that they had redesigned the camber inducer they use and introduced it in '07. I tried to get some feedback on them but really couldn't find anyone posting on the internet about a strict comparison of '06 and the new inducers. Here's where industry research can help. However, does anyone sail with two successive year sails in one session? Once the engineers change the camber inducer design and put it into production, are they going to want to know that the new design sucks?
billgfc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool 4.2 sounds great ! stay quick...

The Maui Sails program is very consistent and steady, details. The masts flex will be constant and cams work. It is the Barry Spanier mode. The other programs with passion get it,, check with sailors and passionate reps who actually sail all the time.

back to the original post:

I mentioned a few brands of sails you could consider, there are good sailors using these who know the line well as previously stated:

If you demo the Maui line, check with Gorge Surf shop

I d suggest the Switch from 6.0 down. There is a 2009 6.0 demo for sale there

Also there is a Pursuit 2009 6.5 (no cam) try it

They may have the 2009 Titan 7.6 (two cam) if so check it out

That said, suggest in Maui Line Titan or Pursuit 6.5 up

There are race sails to try, fine to try mine, or Gorge Surf shop will set you up with Casey Hauser, the rep.

all these sails haul ass, lol
billgfc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe: you will get feedback straight from Barry and others at www.mauisails.com response is often almost immedite
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billgfc wrote:

I d suggest the Switch from 6.0 down.
From time to time, I go to MauiSails website. This morning I ran across a magazine article print-out I have in Italian or Spanish titled >>Camber si, camber no!<< I used some kind of translation software to get this start to the article >>This is the dilemma that is facing us after having tried the Naish Sails Noa and Koa, and it will be the object of our survey in the next few months. Increasing our confusion more [regarding the topic] North Sails offers the Sting in their 98 catalogue with the new 3D system. << Last year I bought the North Spectro 3D with three camber inducers. It has the exact same profile as the 6.0 Sting I own. I asked Barry about it in a post in the Ask Barry forum. Whatever, it would be interesting to see the survey. Futhermore, I have extensive experience with the Sting and now have used the Spectro enough to comment regarding a comparison. There is a big difference between the performance of these sails. The Sting handles and requires more wind, but can be rather radically unmanageable over-powered. However, it has been instrumental in my development of skills with the Naish Icon 160. The Spectro is my sail of preference now, especially since I can go down to the 5.6 Arrows Race (which has 5 or 6 cambers) if I think it is too much. So far, I have never thought it too much to handle. By the way, I had the 4 cambered 11 meter Aerotech out on the water yesterday. After that, I dug enough clams (Quohogs) for our dinner. There's nothing like TOW.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
After that, I dug enough clams (Quohogs) for our dinner. There's nothing like TOW.

There's nothing like good quahog chowder, Brucie. Try some and you'll be an official "chowder head," big guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: