myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Falmouth/Woods Hole Launches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcwolf--I remember some excellent swells off West Island like you mention. However, I seem to always hit a rock or two when launching there by that WWII tower. Do you have trouble with rocks too, or have you found rock free areas?
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf- Thanks for the mention of the West Island launch. I've been to the island and thought it would be a great place to sail if only there was someplace to launch. Now I know!

Dan- Sounds like a lot of fun to meet you and get a tour of the middle ground, generous offer. Those conditions at low tide sound soooo nice! I don't know if it'll ever work out but it might and I enjoy thinking about possible good times while I'm waiting for a windy weekend day. Maybe a few of us could meet and keep an eye out for each other. Anyone else interested?

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. As for me, I often wonder if my Vinyard Sound sailing experiences are over. Yesterday in the late afternoon, I took a long walk along Grand Ave. in Falmouth. The wind had picked up a bit (thermal aided?) and was blowing steadily from the south. That makes it a fully on shore wind there. It would have required one of my biggest sails, but the surface action was mild. However, I thought of how difficult it was to get out in a light on shore wind, how the sun was setting earlier and how I would have to check the tide tables and make sure I didn't get caught in the currents. Nevertheless, it doesn't always mean a bad experience. When the wind is with the current, you can gain some speed but make no real progress up wind!!!! Futhermore at low tide you can stand up and give your most holy benedictions to the boaters from the L'homme Dieu shoal (Translated >>man of God<<) It always looks inviting when I am walking along the shore, but I haven't loaded the gear and launched into the Sound in a few years. Neither have I seen anyone else sailing those waters in a long while. As to Surf Drive, there's a beach along it a number of rods from the public bath house called Jack's beach which is owned by a group of windsurfers. However, you will never see anyone launching from it anymore. What's left of the once very active and large windsurfing club can be found over at the Buzzy Bay beaches. A group of funky elders hang out at Jack's in the good weather. They put up a lot of NO TRESSPASSING signs to frighten away the tourists. However, if you talk to them and bring up Jack, they will point out the launch area because they just don't own the beach.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Great thread.

It was.

sailingjoe wrote:
As for me, I often wonder if my Vinyard Sound sailing experiences are over.

Yes, they are. Brucie, you likely couldn't manage to make it off the beach. If you do, hang around the ferry channel. Maybe we'll get lucky.
tcwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is rock free to the east. To the south there are a ton of rocks and you should avoid. There is a rock off of the point but on a southwest you have to work your way upwind to worry about it.

The sandbar on the outside changes from year to year. Some years it can produce very big ramps, other years not so big. We'll have to see what this year brings after labor day and the free access. Once you get further out into Buzzards Bay, in a good wind there is always big swell.

My best memories are being overpowered on a 3.7 with it perfectly flat on the inside and logo plus on the outside. Just my friend, me and the birds to enjoy the beauty. We have never seen another sailor and we have been going there for 15 years.

Here is a map with launch site:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=41.587716,-70.827613&spn=0.019098,0.033002&t=h&z=15&msid=105035906656086323343.000472af0b96d1b34b562
tcwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I should point out that the first 100 yards off of the launch site the wind is coming off of the land on a SW. But since it is flat, with no trees or obstructions, it is clean air and a great place for hero jibes -- like Aruba in the old days before the hotels...
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
Great thread. As for me, I often wonder if my Vinyard Sound sailing experiences are over. Yesterday in the late afternoon, I took a long walk along Grand Ave. in Falmouth. The wind had picked up a bit (thermal aided?) and was blowing steadily from the south. That makes it a fully on shore wind there. It would have required one of my biggest sails, but the surface action was mild. However, I thought of how difficult it was to get out in a light on shore wind, how the sun was setting earlier and how I would have to check the tide tables and make sure I didn't get caught in the currents. Nevertheless, it doesn't always mean a bad experience. When the wind is with the current, you can gain some speed but make no real progress up wind!!!! Futhermore at low tide you can stand up and give your most holy benedictions to the boaters from the L'homme Dieu shoal (Translated >>man of God<<) It always looks inviting when I am walking along the shore, but I haven't loaded the gear and launched into the Sound in a few years. Neither have I seen anyone else sailing those waters in a long while. As to Surf Drive, there's a beach along it a number of rods from the public bath house called Jack's beach which is owned by a group of windsurfers. However, you will never see anyone launching from it anymore. What's left of the once very active and large windsurfing club can be found over at the Buzzy Bay beaches. A group of funky elders hang out at Jack's in the good weather. They put up a lot of NO TRESSPASSING signs to frighten away the tourists. However, if you talk to them and bring up Jack, they will point out the launch area because they just don't own the beach.

WTF?
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the map & info! I'm a little bored with the usual SW sites so West Island is definately on my list to try, after Labor Day.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tcwolf! I'm going to have to give West Island a try after Labor Day. I was launching on the south side in all the rocks, thinking the SW was offshore at the east end. Your description sounds like that is no issue at all. Great info. Thanks again.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I have to find West Island. Is this it?[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: