myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
URGENT!!! MAUI BEACH ACTIVITIES NEED YOUR SUPPORT...AGAIN!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Chandler on this one. Stayed at 4A in Sugar Cove , 20 feet from the water a couple times, and the joint right over the fence from Sprecs. No WAY I could drag my lazy ass out of some condo, throw my sandy gear into a hot rental rig, and drive to Sprec. get a crappy spot and then rig. NO COMPARISON!
Boggsman
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, a big part of the problem with going to Maui is the airlines. They've made taking your gear a real costly problem. I used to take two boards and four sails, to include masts and everything else for $200 total (there and back). The idea of renting gear isn't acceptable, and also way too expensive and problematic. I did that my first trip to Mail in 1991, and the experience was less than satisfactory.
theq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izitvindi wrote:

Laughing "THE ANTI-ODOR BILL" ? IN HUMID HAWAII? BRILLIANT! WHAT A WAY TO GENERATE REVENUE! OF COURSE, MAINLANDERS WILL BE THE MOST OFTEN CITED...

This is easily remedied with a strong marinade. "Haole: The other (stinking) white meat."
tsokat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the equipment rental on Maui is the best I have seen anywhere and there is no way I would go through the hassle of bringing my own unless it were an extended stay.

And if you are vacationing with a non-windsurfing family, staying at a resort on the south shore (Wailea for us) is the way to go. Great morning snorkeling at La Perouse/Ahihi and they (the family) can be happy and pampered while you disappear for an afternoon of windsurfing on the north shore (as opposed to wind blasted and bummed on the north shore and finding creative ways to kill your buzz). I can understand the attraction of staying on the north shore, and I would if I travelled there alone, but for my situation, staying on the south shore works out much better.

I sympathize with Alan-he has built a great, valuable and honorable business. I don't think the local politics on Maui are fair-hell, they are unfair-but I have been vacationing there for many years, have always been treated well by the locals and am looking forward to many more vacations to Maui in the future.
dbarreiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what happened Alan-
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully my "Jibing with Alan Cadiz " VHS tape will not become a collectors item.
Boggsman
izitvindi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Im with Chandler on this one. Stayed at 4A in Sugar Cove , 20 feet from the water a couple times, and the joint right over the fence from Sprecs. No WAY I could drag my lazy ass out of some condo, throw my sandy gear into a hot rental rig, and drive to Sprec. get a crappy spot and then rig. NO COMPARISON!
Boggsman

Not that it's relevant, but me too. The one time I stayed in Kihei (when I didn't know any better), I didn't want to take my rental-gear off my rental car overnight. By morning, it was stolen. Fortunately, the thief tried to sell it somewhere where they recognized it, and the board was returned to the shop, then returned to me. Once I got a taste of staying on the North shore, I would NEVER stay on the Wailea/Kihei side, unless it were offered for free. (come to think of it, I've even turned down free offers to stay on the south shore...because, well, there ain't no free lunch as they say...sorry...TMI...)

There are amazing properties for families to rent on the North shore, with several bedrooms, full kitchens, surrounded by beautiful lawn or trees, for LESS than staying at the fancy Wailea hotels... Vacationing on the north shore feels more like a true Hawaiian vacation. The cookie-cutter hotel/pool/eatery experience of the south shore feels too much like any other place...
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in the paper they altered the rules so that a permit can be transferred in some instances but can not be sold.There are 134 permits now current and they intend to reduce that to around 90 by attrition.The whole problem is big outfits like surf camps,snorkel groups of a 100, and large kayak tours taking over small family beaches and driving out folks who live here. Laniapoko and other surf spots have about 25 parking places and a single group would arrive in the early morning and fill up 30 of them for days. Out in the lineup they didn't know what to do so eveyone had a chance at a wave because they were newbies.
It isn't against white people it is against large extraction of money by big companies from limited resources and the environmental damage and pissed -off other beach users. Windsurfing got included despite the fact that the few big guys like Alan made no problems, but the County is trying to set a single policy for all beach users.
The actual reason for a single policy is to try make County rules more fair. They are giving the operators nearly a year before the rules kick in so they can adjust with less trauma.
As surprising as seems to those of our mindset, windsurfing is not one of the top five sports here.Even biking is bigger along with snorkeling surfing SUP,kayaking, kiting,etc.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are giving the matter a while to consider and presenting the sale of permits as one of the options. If you want to help HST by writing a letter this is a good time. Without your help in this matter your favorite windsurf school could fold.
It was stated that they are not going to issue any more permits so unless an operator goes out of business there there will never be a chance for a different person to get in the business of ocean activities unless he can purchase a permit from a present holder. It said that the permits have never been allowed to be sold but they were anyway in a number of instances up to 2007. One person testified that these permits cost as much as $50K to buy. The present holders pay $500 a year. If this is true Alans 11 permits are worth a fortune to his business.I am repeating the article in the paper and have no personal knowledge on any of this.
I just don't want HST to fold.
Chandler-I usually shipped my gear to Maui a week in advance for about $100 each way. They pick it up from your house on the mainland and drop at your Northshore rental. It always got there before me. It takes too long for me to adjust to new gear so rentals never were much fun. I have gear that works very well for me at many venues and travel a lot to sail.
buestad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker
Who do you use as a carrier that charges $100.00 each way? Picking the gear up at your house and delivering to a particular location on Maui sounds like a lot lest hassel than taking on the airlines and paying $200.00 plus each way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: