myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiter / Windsurfer incident at the Event Site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dghmiel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Kiter / Windsurfer incident at the Event Site Reply with quote

The following is a message I sent to the Port of Hood River, the CGWA and the CKWA:

Port of Hood River
Hood River, OR 97031

Incident at the Event Site

On August 31, 2009 I was involved in a kiteboarder/windsurfer incident at the Event Site. I am the windsurfer.

I was heading for the Event Site launch beach with a kiter ahead of and to leeward of me. I was overtaking the kiteboarder on his upwind side when he turned sharply upwind and headed above (west) the western jetty. To avoid him, I turned downwind behind him and continued towards the beach. I expected him to jibe to the west of the jetty. Instead, he elected to essentially jump the jetty and headed directly towards me.

He landed close enough behind me so the spray from his landing hit me.

As best as I could tell, he never looked to leeward to see if anyone were in his landing area, which was inside the jetty.

There were numerous people on the grass at the Event Site that witnessed this reckless and dangerous maneuver on his part. Someone on the beach called the police.

The kiter was being videotaped from the end of the western jetty and he also had a camera on his helmet. He had an orange and black kite and a white helmet. His friend on the jetty had on a brown plaid shirt and jeans. Unfortunately, I did not get either of their names.

Having said all this, let me say that I am not “anti-kiter”. A number of my friends are kiters and I enjoy sharing the river with them and other kiters. I have spent many enjoyable sessions at the Hatchery and the White Salmon bridge along with kiters. Never have I had any sort of problem. They seem to respect me and I respect them. I either head above or way below the kiters, even if I’m on starboard tack.

Which brings me to the larger point. Regardless of how many kiters are courteous and respectful, very few reckless and dangerous ones can needlessly endanger anyone, windsurfer or kiter.

The kiter was later confronted and displayed an “attitude” and laughed when it was pointed out that he nearly hit a windsurfer. Kiters nearby understood and I hope this is the last of this type of behavior and associated cavalier disregard for others.

I urge the Port, the CGWA and the CGKA to spread the word that this type of action is not to be tolerated anywhere but particularly inside the jetties in the launch / landing area as called out on the signs located in the grassy rigging area.

Thank you for your consideration,
David G. Hmiel
ldhr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - your story brings up many issues. Too many to respond to in this forum.
The main issue is that experienced kiters and windsurfers should not be riding within 600 meters of the event site beach. Except for launching and landing, everyone should stay 6 football fields away from the beach.
The 600 meters in front of the beach is intended for beginner windsurfers. It's the only place (beside the hook) where people can learn to windsurf. It used to be the marina, but the sandbar ruined the marina for beginners, so the event site is now their spot.
Kiters should not be inside the yellow buoy. All kiters need to respect that rule and self-police the kiters who break that rule.
It's obvious that people are not getting the message, so what's the solution?
Number 1 solution is that we need more, bigger, obvious, idiot-proof signs explaining the few simple rules. Perhaps the port could put a sign on the path where the kiters cross the river to get to the sandbar.
Number 2 solution is to stay away from the beachfront after launching, unless you're a beginner. It's a big river. This applies to kiters as well as the windsurfers.
drblanke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful.

The Port doesn't have the resources to station an officer at the Event Site all day long. If they start hearing about problems with certain user groups the easiest solution they have is to start closing off access.
tomheltzel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: A new Kodak Point? Reply with quote

Following on David's comments regarding his August 31 incident:

During the weekend of August 22, a kiter was making repeated high-speed jibes at the Event Site inside the the west jetty. This caused quite a stir on the beach due to obvious safety concerns. Seems this individual (like the one in David's letter) had a friend with a camera on the west jetty taking pictures. Perhaps posting appropriate signage on the west jetty would be a step in addressing this issue.

That said, several experienced windsurfers continue to use the smooth water of the Event Site for high-speed jibes. Seems a little education on this front would be helpful as well. And if beginning windsurfers biased their on-water time to the east end of the Event Site, the west end would be a safer launch/return area for more experienced sailers.

BTW, I found the majority of kiters to be very windsurfer friendly out on the river, with both parties maneuvering for the safest passage. I experienced only one on-water incident: a near-miss while I was setting up for a water start. I received an apology as I was recovering from the wash-down.

As mentioned, it's a big river. There's room for all. Just a little common sense needed.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm... so it ain't just at leo..
rowenaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
The main issue is that experienced kiters and windsurfers should not be riding within 600 meters of the event site beach. Except for launching and landing, everyone should stay 6 football fields away from the beach. The 600 meters in front of the beach is intended for beginner windsurfers. It's the only place (beside the hook) where people can learn to windsurf. ...

I agree --- and you nalied the main issue Idhr. And the real estate just to the west of the sandbar, just adjacent to the 600 meters you mentioned, is the only place where newbie kiters can practice waterstarts (now that Lyle is being ticketed shut).

As a kiter and windsurfer, I don't get why experienced kiters mow the lawn or pull off back loops - no more then I get why experienced windsurfers pull off hero jibes --- all so close to the jetty ya can see the whites of their eyes!!! Idiot photo ops in exchange for f@cking with everyone's possible access. It's selfish, stupid, and dangerous!

If your good --- get the heck outta there and go downriver!!!! That goes for both kiters and windsurfers...The view is wide open near the White Salmon bridge and there is plenty of open yardage downwind of Wells. Island.
jodeee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like both of you were in violation of the 5mph zone.
In addition, as the overtaking vessel, you were resposible for any near miss that may have occurred.
RULE 13
OVERTAKING

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules [of Part B, Sections I and II / 4 through 18], any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.

Regardless of how many windsurfers are courteous and respectful, very few reckless and dangerous ones can needlessly endanger anyone, windsurfer or kiter.
mije

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Kiter/Windsurfer incident Reply with quote

Jodee, I watched this incident unfold hoping that no one would be injured. Kiter boosted a jump essentially over the jetty without ever looking back or downwind. Probably got 20 ft of air, totally out of control, flying DOWNWIND, crashed the landing(like most of the other jumps in the same area for the camera) and luckily missed the windsurfer by a few feet. Very dangerous behavior producing a near miss. Not sure which right of way rules apply to a windward out of control kite surfer 20 ft in the air BUT I think common sense suggests that the onus is on the kite surfer. Scary event from the beach and everyone sailed away. Just good luck this time.
dghmiel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jodee,

I agree with mije, the rules of the road would not apply to a jumping kiter or windsurfer.

I think you might read my letter again. I realize that it’s difficult to envision what happened from a verbal description, but I think you’ll see that I followed all the rules you quoted. Also please note that I was overtaking him to windward while heading for the landing area between the jetties. After he turned upwind and I slowed to get ready for a landing, I was no longer overtaking him. I had though, become a target.

I’d like to add to your list that the first rule of the road is to avoid a collision regardless of the Right of Way Rules. I avoided the risk of collision by turning downwind and behind the kiter after he altered course significantly to go to the west of the jetty.

Another rule is that the vessel being overtaken should maintain course and speed unless there are hazards to navigation. There were no hazards in this case and he did anything but that.

I do find it curious to try to place blame on a sailor (windsurfer or kiter) who is downwind of a jumping kiter or windsurfer as you implied. Further, when I had that great view of an out-of-control kiter coming directly at me from about 20 feet up, I was not thinking whether the rules of the road would apply. Collision avoidance was primary.

I completely agree with you that if people (windsurfers, kiters, SUPers, jetskiers, etc, etc) are discourteous and/or disrespectful, we will all lose. It is a privilege to use the Event Site and spit, not a right, and we all must keep this in mind.

Dave
chrisrothwellaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, you sound like a rational, reasonable, objective person, but what if there had been a collision...an injury? A person without your attributes if injured could have sued the kiter, the Port of Hood River, the City of Hood River, the state of Oregon, the CGWA, etc. etc. especially if injuries led to paralysis and extreme financial hardship. And we all know what would happen if things had played-out like this for windsurfers and kiters alike.

This kiter should be very grateful to you and your last moment evasive manuever, and I hope the next time I'm on the water I am surrounded by other windsurfers and kiters just like yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: