myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
infection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merritt53

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: infection Reply with quote

just curious, we sailed in the corridor[new city launch ]weekend of august 22,my wife got a rel nasty eye,ear,nose throat bacterial infection,wonder if anyone else did,wonder if anyone has advice for cure,she is on some antibiodics,but still fighting it.perhaps some doc there has delt with?montana john
pahtoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no fun. I hope she feels better soon. Common ailment. Enough that Columbia Riverkeeper offers swabs for analysis and wants you to report it to them...

http://www.columbiariverkeeper.org/index.php/headlines/view/4

If you're still in the area, you might stop by there to see what advice they can give you. If not, mail or phone.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have an allergy to freshwater. Kayakers , waterskiers and all sports that include falls that force water up the nose are the full of this problem. It is called River Nose here. It may be called Lake Nose in other areas. Nose clips are a good simple solution.

River nose is discussed here:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15917&highlight=river+nose

Here is what I said in the above thread:
http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13353&sid=0fe20b30b0b31ceab788f86f48db5cfe

Last years tests are in the above link.

The Columbia is VERY clean.

33 times cleaner than Federal standards for recreational water. 11 times cleaner than Vermont the state with the highest standards for E.coli testing.

All the dust and pollen on the land blows into the Columbia and all recreational bodies of water.
If you snort the parking lot dust at the Hatchery often,I would bet you would get "Parking Lot Nose".
I find a good nose clip works to prevent "River Nose".
pahtoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:

The Columbia is VERY clean.

33 times cleaner than Federal standards for recreational water. 11 times cleaner than Vermont the state with the highest standards for E.coli testing.

Wow. This is great info, Jim, Very Happy. That article at http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2007/08/columbia_river_tests_show_low.html is the little nugget I've been searching high and low for. Thanks.
MrFish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Columbia is in fact filthy.

Google it.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Learn to >SCHNORT!<, >HUARK!<, and >PTUI!< Reply with quote

The Columbia River Basin is huge. Considering how much pollen, industrial/agricultural runoff, fuel, bacteria, viruses, hormones, etc. are in the river, it's a good idea to learn to exhale (VIGOROUSLY) when crashing/water jets up the nose AND as you exit the water going back to the beach.

Ladies (and gentlement), don't be shy and don't be prissy. Take care of yourselves! >SCHNORT!< , >HUARK!<, and expectorate (>PTUI<! ). Vigorously!!!

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1156851298/TV_Japan_How_To_Snort_Noodles
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: GORGE GUIDE TO GORGE AIR Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
scottwerden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosier, Lyle, The Dalles, Wishram, Celilo,... all dump their sewage into the Columbia. We are sailing in watered down poo. I don't care how dilute that E Coli is - I still don't like poo up my nose.
djcovarrubias2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed the Hatch the weekend after that 3d in a row, got a bronchitis that I'm still recovering from. Like a typical doc, told myself it was viral and tried to tough it out. 10 days later, I'm still coughing up pieces of bronchus, finally broke down and started abx, Zithromax 250mg QD. Suspect we are dealing with the same bacteria.

Diego Covarrubias, MD
Portland, OR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: