myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Circus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icesailing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: pb Reply with quote

Well pleasure bay should be safe. Whats up with the weeds? Are thet just around the edges. I dont think we had grass last year. There was some mutant green stuff last fall neer the edges but once you got past it the rest was clear.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Pleasure Bay in Boston, and Pleasant Bay in Chatham (Cape Cod).
The weeds are in Pleasant Bay (Cape Cod).
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind gets penalized every time it messes up the balance of nature. icesailing, please don't promote killing of sharks. I'm not the biologist, just a human trying to see us muddle through a little more humanely and help us steward the small blue planet we enjoy. If we keep playing God, we may collapse the whole life cycle on the only planet we know we can live on.

BTW, this may help with the stat's of shark attacks. This is more a trail of numbers for the proportional spread, not the actuals. 20 shark attacks per year in the world, 14 in USA, 12 in FL, 10 in Ponce Inlet, S. Daytona Beach FL. Don't want to be attacked? Stay away from Ponce Inlet. I sail in Ponce about 2-5 times a year. Hardly have ever seen a shark there. Seen way more dolphins.

More likely to die on the road. More likely to get struck by lightning. More likely to get killed in a plane crash. capice?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People driving speeding automobiles kill, maim and injure considerably more people than sharks. Is anything serious being done about that? It's a lot easier to target drunks than it is to correctly govern the vast majority of drivers so that they don't drive dangerously. The same goes for media attention to sharks.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
People driving speeding automobiles kill, maim and injure considerably more people than sharks. Is anything serious being done about that? It's a lot easier to target drunks than it is to correctly govern the vast majority of drivers so that they don't drive dangerously. The same goes for media attention to sharks.

And this from the same clown who brags that he quaffs them so fast the Mashpee police can't catch him.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has not been a shark attack in Massachusetts since 1936, I think. A 16 year old boy was killed while swimming in Buzzards Bay.

Windsurfers simply do not provide sharks with an image of pretzels and cheese dip. We don't hang around in the water much, our silhouette when in the water (including our gear) looks nothing like anything a shark might eat unless they are used to munching on one-winged terrydactyls.

The boys and girls sailing in Hatteras know they sail with sharks all the time -especially at Oregon Inlet and out at the Cove. I sailed the Cove last year with several sharks visible under the surface. About 25 other windsurfers were out as well. It was a bit creepy being able to see them, but I don't know any stories of any windsurfer being attacked.

Icesailing must be pulling out collective leg. Anyone sailing in the ocean sails near sharks all the time without any knowledge of having done so. They simply do not pose a reasonable danger on a daily basis. I admittedly would not go windsurfing in a fish tank of hammerheads, but that's not what we're talking about -even off Monomoy

Respect the ocean and all that it conveys but no need to fear its contents!
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the future for Chatham! Shocked Very Happy

Sharks.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.93 KB
 Viewed:  19115 Time(s)

Sharks.JPG

icesailing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: iceratz Reply with quote

Hey Iceratz, i sent you a private email about the icesailing stuff.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
There has not been a shark attack in Massachusetts since 1936, I think. (SNIP) I admittedly would not go windsurfing in a fish tank of hammerheads, but that's not what we're talking about -even off Monomoy

Respect the ocean and all that it conveys but no need to fear its contents!

Dan, agreed about the facts of not realizing we are with sharks when windsurfing.
BUT, (and a huge 'but' here) MOST other windsurfers, including the Hatteras crowd, are with much smaller and relatively docile shark species.
I have been there (Hatteras), and done that. Was sailing awhile, came ashore. Looked and saw a nice 6-7ft'r thrashing in the break. I waited 5-10min., went back out. No problem. No fear.

Now we have 10-20 Great White sharks, that's a force not to be messed with!
As of Thursday, both seals & sharks making their way into the inner harbor.

Fact is; if you sail/swim off Chatham break, you are taking a huge risk of being chow chow.
Sure, stats say last attack was...long time ago.(?)
1) There are far more users in the water today
2) Far more sharks being reported

..its only a matter of time before someone gets snacked upon.

In Cal, surfing with "Whitey" is an everyday experience.
Plenty of attacks to reflect that as well.

But as they say, "it keeps the crowds down"
Very Happy

Respecting the ocean also takes on the responsibility to not become part of the food chain, if possible.
Sail safe!
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Iceratz.....
But really, this thread is dead.....let's talk about Fred.
Head high and wind, it won't matter if there's 10 or a hundred
I just thought that it's been fun to watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: