myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rooster should rip friday (9-11)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Rooster should rip friday (9-11) Reply with quote

I will be there in the morning. It looks like the water is low, so the western downriver sites are better (less walking) but best to park around people.

Note: I got my car broken into this spring, one day after a kiter got his board stolen from the beach. I saw a sketcher in a gold minivan w/ Alaska plates that creeped me out enough to move my car only to find out he (most likely) already broke into my car.

Rooster Rock Cam - http://www.pdxgreen.com/RoosterCam.aspx
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before ya drive any significant distance, folks ...

Reality check from iW:
Friday:
Easterlies. Rooster Rock to Stevenson reaching upper teens to low 20's [minus the current] in the late morning and early afternoon. Other Gorge sites generally in the single digits
Saturday:
Easterlies linger. Rooster Rock to Stevenson reaching mid to upper teens

Reality check from NOAA:
FRIDAY...EAST WIND 15 TO 25 MPH @ CASCADE LOCKS
SATURDAY... EAST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH.

Be sure to bring your 8.0s and park a downwind car at the Cascade Locks ferry terminal. Wink

Thanks for the break-in advisory. I'll be sure to pack my short-barreled pistol-gripped shotgun and my St. Bernard.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Before ya drive any significant distance, folks ...

Reality check from NOAA:
FRIDAY...EAST WIND 15 TO 25 MPH @ CASCADE LOCKS
SATURDAY... EAST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH.
Mike \m/

I think I can handle the 20 minute drive.

That is a good forecast from the weather service, they are typically conservative on there East Wind speeds. See what PDX news stations say tonight.

current is not usually a factor, except when I was a beginner sailor 25 years ago, as long as your powered, just work your way up wind. I don't even put on a larger than normal fin, like I used to.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
current is not usually a factor

My point is that low 20s minus a few kts of current => net wind in the upper teens => 8.0s.

I bring this up only because of the countless number of people I see driving to Hellenback based on a single word ("e.g., "windy") or phrase (e.g., "increasing winds") in a forecast, paying no attention whatsoever to such qualifiers as "from midnight until late morning" or "in yer dreams, suckah".

Steve arrived from Spokane last week just as we were packing up to leave after our 4.2 sesh gave way to 15 mph and dropping like a stone at 11 AM ... exactly as forecast. He saw what he wanted to see -- 20-30 mph" -- but ignored the "... beginning at midnight, diminishing to teens before noon" part. I got up at 4, was on the water just past 6, and sailed for several hours in nice swell. He drove 500 miles for absolutely nothing.

A couple of weeks ago I was amazed to see several loads of Canucks arrive for a weekend, expecting three days of wind. They had overlooked the key forecast word: "overnight". They barely got in even any kiting, let alone windsurfing, for their 20-hour round trips.

I see this happen to literally hundreds of people each summer. As soon as one dude sez the "RIP" word or one forecast uses the W word, eyes glaze over, the brain ignores everything else, and the dead dinosaurs get burned, often to no avail. Maybe the worst example was a forecast of 20-30 mph winds at Maryhill (i.e., The Wall) one day last month ... out of the north.

As with everything else in life, anything worth doing is worth at least a little research.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forecast

eastmetro_640x480.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.56 KB
 Viewed:  19109 Time(s)

eastmetro_640x480.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look closely, folks. 20G35 E winds means ya gotta run at least a 7.5 to stay upwind in the net mid-teen mph average winds, and will be hammered by gusts into the 30s. Is that worth a day off work and any significant drive? You make the (informed) call.

Chalk my concern up to worry about global warming. Wink

Nothing personal, Andy. I just hope more people will pay more attention to details in the forecasts. Wind forecasting in the Gorge is tough enough without our reading them through rose-colored glasses, and it pains me to see friends drive for hours on misread forecasts ... especially when they beat me to the good parking.

Mike \m/
westender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Yawn Reply with quote

Drive hours for a East Wind?? Shocked Shocked Yikes! Not me.

I'll check out the Isobar map and the gradient in the morning and decide if it's worth going up earlier than I normally would on a no wind Friday. It's been an epic year for Fridays.
washy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: easterly east Reply with quote

funny, the forcast talks about potentially "ride-able" east wind at maryhill......has anyone ever tried this?
chris
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let ya know what I ride tomorrow, but experience tells me 4.7 to 5.5.
I only have to drive 30 minutes for it (to Stevenson),
and we haven't seen a lot of wind this week, so we're pretty hungry.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Look closely, folks. 20G35 E winds means ya gotta run at least a 7.5 to stay upwind in the net mid-teen mph average winds, and will be hammered by gusts into the 30s. Is that worth a day off work and any significant drive? You make the (informed) call.

Chalk my concern up to worry about global warming. Wink

Nothing personal, Andy. I just hope more people will pay more attention to details in the forecasts. Wind forecasting in the Gorge is tough enough without our reading them through rose-colored glasses, and it pains me to see friends drive for hours on misread forecasts ... especially when they beat me to the good parking.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Look closely, folks. 20G35 E winds means ya gotta run at least a 7.5 to stay upwind in the net mid-teen mph average winds,

Nothing personal, Andy. I just hope more people will pay more attention to details in the forecasts. W
Mike \m/

Ahhh, you say it's nothing personal but it is. Every time I say it's going to be windy you say not, and sure as sh*t it is. Unless you are the continuously the worlds biggest pessimist "Iso" there should be wind, never have I heard anyone more willing to dispell any and every forecast with excuses is the nicest thing i can say on this.

Iso quote "I would have drove to the hatch but the forecast did not say 150% chance of wind and I'd have to get up at 2am for a 2hour drive, but first I have to drop off Daisy"

There will never be any 100% sure wind predicictions but if you never take a chance in this sport you'd be sitting on shore all year long, ok for some but not me.

check the cam.....my bet it's 4.5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: