myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rooster should rip friday (9-11)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
you say it's nothing personal but it is. Every time I say it's going to be windy you say not, and sure as sh*t it is. Unless you are the continuously the worlds biggest pessimist "Iso" there should be wind, never have I heard anyone more willing to dispell any and every forecast with excuses is the nicest thing i can say on this.

Iso quote "I would have drove to the hatch but the forecast did not say 150% chance of wind and I'd have to get up at 2am for a 2hour drive, but first I have to drop off Daisy"

There will never be any 100% sure wind predicictions but if you never take a chance in this sport you'd be sitting on shore all year long, ok for some but not me.

check the cam.....my bet it's 4.5.

I'm not dispelling any forecasts at all. In fact, I'm advising people to watch closely and rely heavily -- 80%? -- on them for planning purposes, because they're all we have to go on unless we live closely enough to leave home after it starts blowing. The mid to upper teens net wind forecast yesterday by most sources is not "4.5 wind" for most people over 70 pounds, even though you've said before that it is for you. Lightweight friends have told me those other "4.5" days of yours were holey 6.0 for them. Caveat emptor, folks.

You misoverestimate my generosity; Daisy can friggin' WALK -- or sit by the fire all day -- when it's blowin'.

I hope you're right, that it does blow 10-20 kts harder than forecast so everybody in that area can get in a long-awaited and much-deserved 4.5 day. The 6 AM gradient looks promising at 0.13, but NOAA's forecast average at Cascade Locks has dropped to 5-15, the wind has dropped just when it should be nudging upwards, and Temira's fresh forecast is still for a peak net average wind speed in the upper teens to about 20 (20-24 minus current); the battle of the elements is on. If you have special wind forecast knowledge or sources we don't, we'd really appreciate your sharing them with us. Pete has his wind chimes; what's your secret? Folks with jobs and a significant drive would kill for it. Gambling on wind is great, but if the ante is significant and we can see some of the wind's cards, it pays to look closely at them before placing our bets. The house is betting on 7.5 or bigger for most of the day with near zip tomorrow.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind

netcam.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.64 KB
 Viewed:  15326 Time(s)

netcam.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Yawn Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Drive hours for a East Wind?? Shocked Shocked Yikes! Not me.

If it's the only wind "in town" ...
But only if the forecast is rock solid and unanimous at 30+ average so we're on 4.2s or better w/decent swell.

The sad part is the Bay Area sailor who worked in Portland every late summer and fall Jonesing for wind, relying on the trees for wind data. He missed a decade of frequent heavy winds just 30-some miles away because he didn't realize that east winds happen outside of January (they can be very strong in August) and seldom reach Portland's trees ... sort of like using Portland's trees to detect July winds at the Hatchery.

BTW ... the Roostercam emphasizes the sensor's poor location or calibration. What looks like holey 20 mph/6.2 wind on the water reads about 6 mph on the sensor.

Mike \m/
mojosails

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyesorebars wrote:
THE BEST JIBE TIP I EVER GOT by Mike Fick

I’m a world-class expert at jibes. Missing them, that is. I failed 10,392 carving jibe attempts (i.e., planing all the way from one beam reach to the next) before a friend gave me THE jibing tip that became crucial to my jibing and thus changed my life. I added another tip of my own that significantly helps my board carve and sail jibe timing. Both are in this jibe procedure that works for me in every type of carved (planing) jibe and even in many subplaning jibes. Done right, this sequence lets me exit a carved jibe going at least as fast as I entered it. It doesn’t require memorizing a repertoire of handwork and footwork, because the same simple handwork and footwork works from mundane to monster winds.

Try this. It sure made my decade.

Ty! I've stenciled this entire quick tip onto my sails so I can review it while jibing!

Laughing
jesusjones

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Rooster! Just buy Bob, Bobs Beach that is aka Stevenson. Hurry folks before were all sold out.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojosails wrote:
I've stenciled this entire quick tip onto my sails so I can review it while jibing!

You must have a fine-tipped pen and a 12.0 sail.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back most people on 4.2 ish nice session from 9-12. I Had to leave early to catch an afternoon flight to LV or I would still be out. Nice to see more WS than kiters (at least till 11) for once at RR, now there are more kiters out. They are all grouped in front of the camera, LOL, usually they are farther up wind. Most WS were downwind of that busy section.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite Iso's dire predictions, I recklessly ventured the 25 minutes from home and sailed for over 3 hours on my 4.2m at Rooster today.
Was a darn fine day.

Maybe more of the same tomorrow?
bobg
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Boat Ramp Been berry berry good to me Reply with quote

4.7 9:30 to Noon, then it backed off and it was ....4.7 Noon till 3.
80 Ltr Board, 180 lbs Me. In deference to Mike, I did slog
occasionally the second sesh. Saw my ole'buddy WMP ripp'n
the AM sesh.

-Craig
blythefly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
Just got back most people on 4.2 ish nice session from 9-12. I Had to leave early to catch an afternoon flight to LV or I would still be out. Nice to see more WS than kiters (at least till 11) for once at RR, now there are more kiters out. They are all grouped in front of the camera, LOL, usually they are farther up wind. Most WS were downwind of that busy section.

OK, enough beating up on Iso... prove that it wasn't luck and give us a prediction for Saturday for those of us who only get to sail on weekends. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: