myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4 men and a boy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: 4 men and a boy Reply with quote

Kalmus - SE - 4 men and a boy.

The boy or should I say a young man at 14 who came all the way from Havard for a little fresh air. 3 cheers for a dad who not only drove him down but stood in the rain the whole time. I wish I had a dad like that.

The rain did not let up for one minute the whole afternoon.

One hour + on a 6, then a 1/2 hour on a 5, then a few runs, including the last, wide open on a 4.2. I didn't need the 4.2 session, but the sai was out for the young guy

Man, I'm wiped.

rc
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do ya want to hear a story?

Put a new 8.75" True Ames Surfgrass fin on my old blue.

6 / 5 / 4.2 - check / check / check - A good fact finding mission today being able to test my whole range of sails; at my favorite home away from home. I couldn't tell much, if any, difference from my old school slot surfs - Simmer and True Ames

Now I can go in confidence to those untested weedy locations; maybe someday to Forrest Beach(?)

RC

journal 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.75 KB
 Viewed:  11944 Time(s)

journal 002.jpg

outcast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: 't bad til Reply with quote

better learn to spell it right first Gump.

Had some fun of our own today slight onshore with a hungry beachbreak
Rain wasn't bad till like 3 and i am glad i didn't bust anything ...
maybe tommrow too

i'm done with weeds for the year.

I have that fin...keep it in the front of the box

grahamfedd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Getting owned at Kalmus Reply with quote

Talked my dad into spending Sunday in the rain. Got to Kalmus and realized I forgot my harness and brought my smallest sail, a 5.2. Thanks to Tim for giving me a harness to use. And Ron for the 4.2 when I was seriously overpowered. Cape Cod windsurfers rule!

Cheers,
Graham
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: All along the watchtower. Reply with quote

The Sound was good sailing for a while either side of the low tide yesterday. I sailed from Oregon beach as it was turning around 2 p.m. There was a 60ish guy out there struggling near the shore when I arrived. On shore winds and the incoming tide eliminates any risk of getting washed out to sea there so I wasn't worried about him. He disappeared as I was in preparation, though, and I wondered what happened. My wind meter gave me steady readings in the low 20 m.ph.'s so I rigged an 8.4 Loft, gave it strong downhaul and put it on my Sumo 125. I took Josh Angulo's suggestion that I put the mast track forward. In addition, I used the 42 Tangent Reaper weed fin as the deadman's fingers were rather thick. As I was rigging the guy in the water had returned to the launch finishing some kind of walk of shame. We chatted a bit. I noticed he had an old Bic board which was still in good shape. He said he was learning. Driving off he left me alone with all the empty mansions and wide lawns that stately line the shore there. From then on in, I didn't see a soul until I had de-rigged in the pouring rain around 4 p.m. One estate at the launch end of the bay had put up an American flag which was blowing stiffly. I saw lights in the house and figured at least I was being watched at one end. The skies were solid grey and visibility was about a mile, I reckoned. I put in a few good long reaches. At first I was surprised to find that I was a bit under-powered with the 8.4 and hard pressed to stay off shore and up wind. Then the storm intensified. I was pulled off the board in the deep water of the boat channel and fighting with some serious chop. Water-starting was a challenge for sure, I failed a couple of attempts but finally caught a moderating blow, fitted into the straps and returned to the launch for a great ride on a great board. By then the seas were rather big, and it was raining cats and dogs. I wanted to stay out, but prudence took a firm grip on me.
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,
Glad you could get down here
Agree with Ron that your Dad deserves credit for fueling your stoke
Now see if you can convince him that hatteras makes a great family vacation Smile......then maui....

paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8m was the kite size at WDB, while sails were in the mid 4 to mid 5 size, we didn't have any racers in the mix. despite the good direction, something in the tide/ wind set-up just didn't really deliver any great waves. was more fun until the sideways downpours. finally a SE day though.
P.
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, I'm still wiped

rc
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waves were in the ocean yesterday and today
pretty powerful swell for it's relatively small size
today was fun!....just me and PK....head to occasional logo side off sunny and warm..5.4 for me
Lots a seals....and there are apparently no sharks are in the ocean anymore (according to the town)!

did a push loop by accident but it turned out just fine...was trying a regular back but the lip just sent me...I thought i was too old for that stuff

tommorow?
tis the season.....harvest time

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Yeah, those sharks got canceled when you starting rippin around. LOL
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: