myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter Wetsuit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideverotta wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:
No one ever considers how heavy these suits are, do they? However, the weight of these suits must contribute to fatigue.

Not that it matters but my Ocean Rodeo drysuit weights 150 grams less than my 4/3 wetsuit ...
I accept that Dry Suits are warmer and weigh less than wetsuits, but I don't wear them. However, on a wetsuit discussion, I compared the weight of my O'neill Psycho II to my North Race suit. The race suit is definitely heavier, but it is warmer of the wind is cold. The whole suit (4.5/2.5) is smooth skinned, and I can attach the arms that Promotion sells if I want. The Psycho II, almost fully fabric on the outside, has a nasty windchill factor and the arms contribute to a fatigue factor. All of this convinces me that spending the winter in Florida or the Tropics is the way to go. Thin shorties are o.k., but full wetsuits suck. Finally, if you can't relieve yourself in a suit, it just isn't worth using.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
SNIP the Tropics is the way to go. Thin shorties are o.k., but full wetsuits suck. Finally, if you can't relieve yourself in a suit, it just isn't worth using.

Uh, so that explains the stench.
mik377

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: gloves Reply with quote

Last edited by mik377 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry land sports, even at 30 below zero.

I've read and tried every trick and glove discussed in several WS forums over the last 15+ years, and not one of them got my hands over the hump. Screw it. Thawing hands hurt worse than the pain gold standard: passing kidney stones. On the plus side, that's four months I don't even glance at a wind forecast. I just watch the water temps towards the end of March and hit the water again when it hits 46 degrees w/ air temps > 50.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitts work best.... although, don't use the velcro straps because they tend to cut circulation. Problem is, water tends to flow in without the straps, so you need to keep your hands out of the water. If your hands start to feel numb while sailing, just keep working 'em.... jibe skills certainly come in 'handy' here.

- WMP
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands and face typically drive me off, but having had the pleasure of
both frostbiten hands (lost some skin, but no fingers), and kidney
stones, I'll take thawing hands any day. Your mileage obviously does vary ;*).
Any way, I'm coming back this week for one more round
of whatever I can get.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Dry land sports, even at 30 below zero.

I've read and tried every trick and glove discussed in several WS forums over the last 15+ years, and not one of them got my hands over the hump. Screw it. Thawing hands hurt worse than the pain gold standard: passing kidney stones. On the plus side, that's four months I don't even glance at a wind forecast. I just watch the water temps towards the end of March and hit the water again when it hits 46 degrees w/ air temps > 50.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Your mileage obviously does vary ;*).

As do kidney stones. Mine almost made me miss a flight, but at least I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs like I do with thawing hands. Stones I can't avoid; thawing hands I can.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: