myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lewis Bay in a NW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Lewis Bay in a NW Reply with quote

Has anyone sailed from the back of the bath house at Kalmus in a NW?
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce and anyone else:

From my narrow minded view on sailing venues, you know I like Kalmus.

Why the heck would you want to sail in Lewis Bay on a NW, since the wind has got to travel all the way across the cape and then over the boats?

You know how to get to Orleans, come at play in the open water - CC Bay.

If you hit 3.5 hours before high or 2.5 after the chop on the inside is very user friendly.

RC
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can't thank you for answering my question, Ron. I have heard that Lewis Bay can be good in North winds for starters. Second, some people either can't or don't want to make the long trek down cape to sail when they can sail closer to home. If you had a house on Lewis Bay, wouldn't you make the most of it before loading the truck and driving somewhere else?
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a house there, I'd make it work too.

RC
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., now we are on the same page. I got this reply to my question on a kite forum.
Q: Has anyone launched at the Kalmus bath house into Lewis Bay on a NW? I'm looking for flat water.
A: Yeah, just launch on the north side of the bath house, at the end of the beach. Its ok, but totally onshore and there are a bunch of boat buoys that you have to continually go around.
Now, I happened to be down there showing the beach a few weeks ago on a Friday with the winds coming from the north. The beach on the backside was crowded with boards and guys in wetsuits. The parking lot was jammed full. :shock: I saw a rental truck near the bath house. This made me wonder if there was something like a demo or clinic going on. Apparently, it was an ABK event. I do agree, though, it's not all that attractive sailing the bays on the south coast of the Cape in NW winds. However, if one is constrained for time, it can be the only alternative to sitting at home. I was out yesterday at Wacko and the winds were absolutely crazy. I rarely get catapulted now, but that happened twice yesterday. The gusts were varied widely in duration and there was a turbulence which would backwind one from time to time. The water surface changed from flat to waves with long periods to voodoo chop depending on location. The sun was setting. I was facing directly into it and blinded. Nevertheless, I was home in time to prepare a spaghetti supper.
grahamfedd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Lewis Bay Reply with quote

Met up with Nina and Peter yesterday in Lewis Bay. It started light so we worked on skills. Wind picked up and put on a 6.1 and started blasting. By 4:30 went back to the 5.2 and wind was still building. Chis and his girlfriend showed up (thanks for the freestyle tips guys). Everyone sailed until it was starting to get dark. Totally worth it. Everyday of windsurfing is a great day of windsurfing.

Cheers,
Graham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: