myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Clydesdale sail choice question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Clydesdale sail choice question Reply with quote

Hello,

Putting out a question to intermediate to advance intermediate heavy weight sailors, 195 lb plus that sail coastal conditions. It is , which sail size, type, and manufacturer do you use most often ? I ask those of the skill level mentioned because any one above that level is probably much more efficient with their quiver

Thanks to all whom posted responses to my minivan internal rack system.
They were most helpful.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 210lbs, 6 ft 2, sail RI and occassionally the cape. I'm probably between intermediate and advanced (nail 50% of jybes) bump and jump and occassional waves (still learning waves).

Out of the 26 times I've been out this season, I've spent 19 times on my 7.0 (73%). Usually on my 104 ltr Synchro, a few sessions using my 7.0 and 89 ltr F2.

5 of the sessions have been on a 5.2 (either on my 89ltr or 104ltr).

On light wind days I'll break out my 9.0 and 150ltr board a couple times.

7.0 has been my bread and butter sail (Gaastra Matrix). I love it and it's got a great range. I'll be on my 7.0 (downhaul cranked hard) comfortably when others on hanging on for their lives with a 5.4.

Hope this helps.

Also, I just purchased a 6.0 to close the 7.0 to 5.2 gap.

DC
braden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what coastal conditions means. Waves?

I too weigh 195 lbs. I sail narragansett bay, back and forth, jibes, no jumps. In the summer, good seabreezes, 14-20 mph, mostly use a 7.5, occ a 9.5 if the wind is marginal. In the winter, wind more variable, use 7.5, 6, 5, rarely 4.2.

I have mostly Ezzys as I am a klutz and fall on my sails; the Ezzys are fairly rugged. My most used sails, the 7.5 and 6, are Ezzy Infinitys. Before that my 7.5s were a succession of NP V8's, but I thought the Ezzys were easier to rig and they feel light to me (not weight but handling).

I make no claim that this is the best choice, I bought my first Ezzy because that was the most rugged sail the store had in the size I needed at the time, not because I did extensive research. You will get better responses if you specify what you are looking for. Does Clydesdale refer to a heavy muscular sailor or a sail with a lot of low end power?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerotechs are designed by east coast US and world applications. I use the Phantom 7.5 most on my Kona 11'5 for light wind waves. X-ply cloth and reinforced in all the right places for a great strength to weight ratio. 2-3 years ago we tested an array of sails and the 7.4 Phantom was lighter than the 6.5 Ezzy Free Ride, and the 7.5 Maui Sails Switch.

Prior to the E FR, that sail brand was not quite as punchy for low end as others. They were/are very tough, but not to my liking as far as where the clew is laid out and the really long leech with all that twist. Pound for # and size for size I need sails with lots of low end power. 205 #'s and 6'3"....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule of thumb: For every 20 lb. difference in sailor weight, 0.5 or 0.6 sq. meter difference in sail sizing. I weigh 40 lbs or so more than you. My most used sail on Cape Cod remains a 9.6 and that's 75% of the time, 2 or 3 days a week. That would mean you should be using an 8.4 or 8.6. Now, that also means modern sails. My 9.6 is an '06. Before that I was primarily sailing an '04 8.4 and was amazed that the bigger sail filled in for so many days. Those were planing days instead of slogging ones, too. Both are Loft sails and show plenty of use. My money was well spent. Recently I bought an Aerotech 11 meter, but probably won't use it much until next season here.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Rule of thumb: For every 20 lb. difference in sailor weight, 0.5 or 0.6 sq. meter difference in sail sizing.

How does that explain sail sizes ranging from 3.2 to 6.5 being preferred side by side by same-sized guys, or a 155-pounder consistently preferring a larger sail than a 240-pounder?

Great idea, but it sure confuses anyone who takes it seriously.

Mike \m/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good advice from dcharlton, braden, and jingebritsen; a good quiver would be 7-something, 6-something, 5-something. Also, I like both Ezzys and Aerotechs.

You can get a pretty good idea of planing thresholds for different sail sizes, matched to your body weight, by using the sail calculator spreadsheet posted here:

http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpaddle/sailcalculator.xls
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Sounds like good advice from dcharlton, braden, and jingebritsen; a good quiver would be 7-something, 6-something, 5-something. Also, I like both Ezzys and Aerotechs.

You can get a pretty good idea of planing thresholds for different sail sizes, matched to your body weight, by using the sail calculator spreadsheet posted here:

http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpaddle/sailcalculator.xls

I've personally compared James' results (James is the author of the sail calculator) against my own and other sized sailors, and it's annoyingly accurate.

Smile

Seriously, those numbers are a great place to start.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Seriously, those numbers are a great place to start.

Yup ... as long as people realize:
• novices -- never known for their efficiency -- who can't plane or get upwind should consider rigging bigger rather than banging their heads against a spreadsheet. They can work on efficiency later.
• the spreadsheet refers to the wind hitting the sail, not some shore-bound hand-held meter or NOAA or iW sensor. That distinction can easily exceed 100% or 30 kts either way at many sites. We must all learn to read the whitecaps.

Mike \m/
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7176:
Agree with isobars AND the puffin
I'm 200 lbs....micro-clydsdale

Sand hitting ankles: 5.0
Uncomfortable sand 4.5
Hard to stand/talk 3.7
Texture on water....want to sail... but seems sketchy 5.8
Texture on water consistently ....not a 5.0 though 5.4
No texture but wind : SUP

I like the NP Alphas....."power wave"....deep draft....made for big boyz (and girlz)...."Onshore wave" is another way of saying same thing

Add 10 liters to your friends boards...and 0.5 sq meter to the sail.
Find a sailor with similar skill.....adjust weight in kilos/liters of float ratio

I think you'll get a bigger bang for you buck with a bigger board than a bigger sail.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: