myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NE's foecast for the week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: NE's foecast for the week Reply with quote

YIKEs!

That's my replacement word when conditions are getting over my head. I've used it often since this summer although it doesn't rhyme well with truck.

Man if tomorrow, aint big enough for ya, wait 'till the end of the week according to NOAA. Saturday N @ 30-40! I know it's way far out, but it doesn't hurt to consider these things - That sounds beyond my Yikes limit

As for tomorrow, I've already give'n notice that she (wife) can get the kids and dinner going on her own. For me 4:00pm at Skaket is the plan.
With a protest , she remembered last week a late night surf session was cancelled for women's power yoga.

Anyway, the invitation is always open.

RC
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grade 9.95 at Skaket

A slight tick off the pace of last Thursday, but more than powered up with a 4.2 right to dusk.

It would have been a "10" if at least 1 iwindsurfer was with me to fight off the al-kiters (4 from first encounter + a trainer).

RC
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, your 4.2 doesn't tell me much about the wind, and I know how big you are. What about those readers who haven't met you? Were the conditions gusty? Did you have your dry suit on? I looked at the archived chart for Hatch Beach this morning, does that mirror the conditions at Skaket? The frost is definitely on the pumkins this morning. I sailed yesterday morning locally and had a blast.
ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you asked

Last Thursday was not too gusty, just real big and really bigger. Last night was gusty but big enough / good and bigger. We're talk'n a hulking 135 senior citizen at the helm. OUTCAST will verify from his near 200lbs that 4.2 for my size was more than enough.

At 50F, heck 61F and below and the drysuit comes out. I have never used the standard fleece which it came with, I've got a range of polypro shirts and an old fleece modified with leg straps for prevent riding up.

I also used my open palm gloves which may have been a little overkill but no cold fingers. Halfway through felt good to ditch them. For FYI, if interested, stayed tuned for a picture of how palmless gloves work for me. It will be sent tomorrow.

Because of the so-called cold temps and limited to no sunshine, I also wore my seldom used Promotion beanie under a Gath Convertable. Last year, I used a straight fleece with comfort. Consider it ignorance on not trying the beanie sooner. That will now be my standard head gear for cold weather.

A note of interest to SCOPPER: Still on a high from last night as 2 days of planning, kept secret from my family, went off without a hitch. One thing worked out even better than planned - I was able to drop off my son for a "playdate" right on the way to the beach. I picked him up on the way home, real slick. The mom in charge also had one of the First Encounter kiter's kid to watch. She was happy to let 2 hardcore (in her words) sailors do their thing.

Friday's out - Saturday might be doable - Sunday's shaky

Thanks for reading, Ron C.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that we will have quite a period of Northeast and East winds going forward. Friday's supposed to be a whole day averaging mid 30 m.p.h. out of the Northeast according to many. This is from Yahoo for Friday: Windy with rain likely. High near 50F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a half an inch. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph. However, Weather Underground has this forecast: Rain. Windy. Near steady temperature in the mid 40s. Northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent. Foul weather to say the least. I'ld love to drag some of my high wind gear out and drive down to Pleasant Bay for this. However, it does look rather formidable, especially for a 60 year old guy. The current cold spell hasn't been kind, either. Sitting Friday out, we will have at least two more windy days on Sat. and Sun. with a more easterly component and less rain.
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the latest in Fall fashions. Except for the mitt, still wet from the night before!

The glove on the right, a Glacier after a couple of seasons (note the small amount of wear)

The newer version are top shelf issue straight from Ocean State Job Lot, $5 per pair. When you are cutting the heart of of them, no sense in spending alot more.

I have had good luck with wearing the shells on top. More warm and cumbersome, but not much arm pump. I plan to use them more and more.

In general they work for me. However I don't plan on doing any swimming in serious cold weather i.e pick the spots you want to succed at.

RC

gloves and helmet 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.3 KB
 Viewed:  12648 Time(s)

gloves and helmet 002.jpg

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like yankee ingenuity. Windguru has tempered their wind speed forcasts for today a bit.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
There's nothing like yankee ingenuity.

Too bad you don't have any, big guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: