myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tobago from the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Tobago from the USA Reply with quote

I am planning a trip to Tobago in December. Does anyone have information about how to book a hotel and equipment from the US? The only travel agencies I found were in UK, and trips usually include flights from there.

Other relevant info, e.g. about the flights from Trinidad to Tobago, will also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Delta is the best option from NA. I know LIAT flies from the islands as well...

Jem Hall I think did a UK clinic there..not sure on gear but keep us posted..

Follow my www.anguillabliss.com

Twitter: bonairebliss
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update:

Flights:
Delta and Continental fly to Port of Spain, Trinidad. From Boston, Continental has the better connections and cheaper flights. Carribean Airlines flies every hour or so from Trinidad to Tobago for $36. Expedia offers tickets, but does not show all Carribean Airlines connections for roundtrip tickets. Booking the Trinidad-Tobago flights separate works better and costs the same.
We ended up booking an overnight hotel in Trinidad, based on incorrect information that there are no connections after 8 pm. We later found out that the last flight leaves at 11 pm.

Hotels:
Lots of choices, many in walking distance to the airport & downtown area, lots of useful feedback at tripadvisor.com. Most places are a 15-30 minute walk to the windsurfing area at Pidgeon Point. We booked through yes-tourism.com, friendly and no problem so far. Easy to find places that are cheaper than Bonaire, and no need to rent a car. We plan to rent bikes, and maybe take one or two day trips.

Gear:
Available through Radical Sports Tobago. We got an email response right away, and a verbal confirmation that we'll get the boards we would like (they use a "reserved board" system, in contrast Vela's first come-first serve system).

The whole thing was a bit more effort than booking through Ann or Vela, but not too bad. Wind statistics indicate that Tobago is not as windy as Bonaire, but that's based on airport sensors, and those may be a bit shielded from the predominant wind direction. But some light wind practice time will be nice, too.

Quote:
Jem Hall I think did a UK clinic there

Yes, he used to, but not anymore. Looks like he moved on to Brazil in December and Egypt in March.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from Tobago a few days ago. Had a great time - more at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2009/12/windsurfing-in-tobago.html
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellently written review of the spot in your link. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: