myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
KEEPIN IT REAL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavedawg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: KEEPIN IT REAL Reply with quote

Got a good dose of reality today when my rig separated from the board during a jibe deep in the zone between Chapin and Mayflower! Got my fingertips on the board. but not enough to keep the next wave from ripping it from my grasp. Suddenly, the board gone, I was flotsam in the onslaught of surf.

After getting rolled around a bit, I started swimming, and was quickly reminded how slow and cumbersome this activity is when wrapped in drysuit and all the gear. A couple of guys came by to check up on me, and I continued swimming, rolling on my back to rest occassionally. The hood was constrictive, so I pulled it back, wearing it on top of my head like a hat.

Ireland Jerry stopped to let me cling to his board for a break(thanx, Bro!), then I continued on to the beach, where I washed up right under the Chapin Ramp. Another Jerry had found my board on the beach a bit west of the ramp, and was bringing it up to the ramp for me(thanx, Bro!!)

A short time later my rig went floating by 150 yds or so offshore, so I took a walk and plucked it from the shorepound 1/8 - 1/4mi west of the ramp. I WAS REALLY HAPPY TO HAVE MY EZZY 5.2 BACK!!!! Walked back up the beach ready for more but, by then, it was over.

The mast foot pulled out of the 2-bolt Chinook base plate, probably because the plastic tab that holds the locking pins in place was worn. This event serves as a timely reminder to check ALL of your gear for signs of excessive wear.

This was the first and, I hope, only time that I have ever been SEPARATED FROM MY BOARD, and it showed me how quickly your perspective changes when you LOSE YOUR BOARD Shocked ! ! !

Fortunately, I was prepared, and self-rescue was the best/only option. Thanx for not making the call. A beachside circus of rescue and media cowboys would have made this experience even more humbling.

The little wavedawg was glad I made it so I can feed her again Very Happy

THEPUPPYOCT3 09 018.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  660.67 KB
 Viewed:  17959 Time(s)

THEPUPPYOCT3 09 018.jpg

liquidmpls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear you made it in safely

and i'm amazed the sail didnt sink Smile
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mast must have a good plug in it to keep it from filling up. Otherwise the rig would have gone down. I almost lost 1 that way.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, liked the pic. My old Hi-fly has a built-in bungee cord that attaches to the base. I often wonder why that isn't standard on all rigs.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My old Hi-fly has a built-in bungee cord that attaches to the base. I often wonder why that isn't standard on all rigs.

OLD design concept. Back in the day, there was actually a theory that you would want your rig to separate from the board during a hard crash. Hence the bungee connecting the rig to the board.

It was rather quickly discovered that you NEVER want the rig to separate from the board. Hence the bungee is not needed...just make sure your gear (U-joint) is in good condition or replace.

Glad the OP made it back OK.

sm
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: KEEPIN IT REAL Reply with quote

wavedawg wrote:

The mast foot pulled out of the 2-bolt Chinook base plate, probably because the plastic tab that holds the locking pins in place was worn. This event serves as a timely reminder to check ALL of your gear for signs of excessive wear.

Wow! That's scary. I'm a big advocate of the two-bolt base and have never had this happen, but it's good to know that the thing can wear out. Do you have/can you post a photo of the worn tab?

Glad you made it back. The dawg looks pleased, too!

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risks are there with either system. I'd rather keep the extra adjustments with a single bolt. Plus, more people still end up having singles. Makes swapping gear easier too.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad it all turned out o.k. mike; was the tide coming in or going out? on the outgoing tide on sat. the current made it hard to get a sail out of the water to waterstart, i can't imagine a loose rig coming all the way in. best possible breakdown scenerio, sailor and gear just fine. see you sat. for the SE.
paul
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Risks are there with either system. I'd rather keep the extra adjustments with a single bolt. Plus, more people still end up having singles. Makes swapping gear easier too.

The risks are far greater with a single bolt system. For every story like this there are at least one hundred stories of the single bolt sliding out.

I don't see any difference re gear swapping...how does a single bolt make swapping easier?

FunHog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the quick lock/2 bolt base too, and had the rig and board separate each other on an outside jibe cuz I FORGOT to LOCK the base in my rush to get on the water one sunny, hot 5.3 day at Fenwick Is.( somehow made it thru the shorebreak ?? ) Took me a nanosecond to figure out my board would save me more than my rig so I swam faster than ever before and managed to just catch it before the next swell would have swept it away. Paddled back and found my floating rig .... lucky ! So good to hear you could swim back AND collect your kit !!

A big FYI , my uni separated from the base plate once WHILE LOCK ! Jibing on a swell it just popped out from too much torque, the pin was still in the lock position when I reached my board. The boys down at Fox Water Sports in OBX warned me this could happen, that's why they used single bolts. That's what they told me anyway.

Pros and cons of each system, but agree .... check your stuff before hitting the surf !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: