myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
KEEPIN IT REAL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have a clue. I had an old F2 Strato longboard with this setup ..naturally, I always chose the 'locked' setting instead of "500 Nm"

I was just learning to use the harness with this board. and so of course, one day I had a nasty catapult, with the mast hitting squarely on the nose..which wasn't exactly delicate, and didn't get much damage.

nope, instead, the entire mast track was yanked clean out of the board. It was only held in with a few small sheet metal screws and maybe some glue.

bred2shred wrote:
Quote:
Sorry if I didn't make it clear to you, bred2shred. The bungee is strictly a safety device. It was put there in case something breaks and the rig is separated from the board.

I understand why the bungee was put there. On many of these old boards, there was actually a switch on the mast foot that allowed you to select one of two settings. The first setting kept the mast foot locked to the board. The second setting would actually allow the mast foot to 'pop' off of the board at a certain force. For whatever reason, there was this idea was that during a crash, you would want the rig to separate from the board (kind of like ski bindings). The bungee tether would keep the whole mess together. It was a poor concept ane was soon realized that in reality you NEVER want the rig to separate from the board. When manufacturers went away from this mast foot system, they also discarded the tether.

It would be pretty easy to install a safety teather like this on a modern board if you're concerned about your rig separating.

sm
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those boards and universal systems are new to me, mlaronde and bred2shed. It's simple with my board, a Hi-Fly Curtis with a mast track that's adjustable on the fly. The bungee pulls out of the mast track and fits into a hook in the universal. If you wanted to jerryrig one on a modern board, however, you would have to screw something in to the board to hold that end. You also need some way to attach the bungee to the universal. I only have two other universals that have something like that, both are for adjustable mast tracks and no longer manufactured. Back to the failing, I have a hard time understanding how someone could sail for an hour on the north shore of the cape with the Chinook two bolt universal not securely fastened. I'ld stick to the faulty tab theory. You may have somehow unlatched it on the water, but that seems rather difficult to do. I'ld be very careful about sailing again with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: