myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Suit to Replace Bare Polardry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donwh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Suit to Replace Bare Polardry Reply with quote

My buddy is looking for a new drysuit after 10 years in an O'Asis. What is the consensus for a suit here in the northeast US to sail in the cold, including the winter.
Anyone try the O'Neill Assault Hybrid Drysuit?

http://www.the-house.com/onhyb06bnzz-oneill-drysuits.html

It looks like the same style (baggy upper) as the Polardry.
Promotion? Neil Pryde?
No Kokotats please. Won't fit the budget, I'm sure.

Don
Gerda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Polar Heat Reply with quote

I bought a Bare Polar Heat last year through Phil at Inland Sea. As I recall in a comparison with similar baggy top, neoprene bottom suits the Bare Polar heat used thicker neoprene. The following link describes it as 5 mm.http://www.shuswapsnb.com/ I don't recall thickness of Oasis and can't seem to find it in description of suit at any of websites I tried just now.

Also, it seemed that although the Polar Heat was "unavailable" they still would provide one, I guess as special order.

So far I have been pleased with the suit, especially the loose fit in the arms, tight just at the wrist seals, and the ability to wear just a shirt under the top when the air is not so cold, or the warm fleece when it is cold.

HBR
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Suit to Replace Bare Polardry Reply with quote

donwh wrote:

You will find scores of relevant, useful posts by SEARCHing on drysuits and ignoring the Kokatat recommendations. SURELY we can't still add anything new here, can we?

Mike \m/
npiankov

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no Kokatat? You don't have to go for the Goretex version, which is really expensive. The standard Kokatat works very well and costs around $400 (used to be about 370 a couple years ago) which is less than you'd pay for a Bare ($450+?). I really like the Kokatat bag for 2 reasons: front zipper (those Bare guys ALWAYS beg for help with the zipper across the back) and ability to wear regular pants/jacket under the bag (I don't have to undress when at the beach!). I was very happy with it and the durability has been pretty good too. I had to replace some of the seals every 50 sessions or so, but that's cheap and easy to do by yourself. I am sure other drysuits also require the seals to be replaced. The zipper has held up just fine and I had no rips in the bag after 4 years of frequent and pretty hard sailing (I am into freestyle, so was learning Vulcans, loops etc with it).

My suit is getting somewhat worn now and I am thinking that I would get another one next year. Definitely the Kokatat, especially that they've now upgraded their "cheap" suit to the semi-breathable fabric. Very very happy with it.
feuser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Suit to Replace Bare Polardry Reply with quote

donwh wrote:
My buddy is looking for a new drysuit after 10 years in an O'Asis. What is the consensus for a suit here in the northeast US to sail in the cold, including the winter.
Anyone try the O'Neill Assault Hybrid Drysuit?

http://www.the-house.com/onhyb06bnzz-oneill-drysuits.html

It looks like the same style (baggy upper) as the Polardry.
Promotion? Neil Pryde?

Don

The O'Neill is a great suit.
Check this thread on rec.windsurfing:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing/browse_thread/thread/d32cb707d50e06c2/14bcea4cac0b7605?hl=en#14bcea4cac0b7605

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
jedwards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ONeill hybrid and think is the best dry suit out there. Breathable, so it doesnt overheat, dry so you can layer underneath and stay toasty, and the seals are neoprene so you dont have to replace them every year or so like the Bare silicone seals. Those Bare seals suck.
Kjensen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: dry suit Reply with quote

Look up Ocean Rodeo drysuits. I bought one last year. Expensive but well worth it. Designed for kiters. Front zipper and bone dry. Just add fleece underneath

www.oceanrodeo.com

a couple of other guys use them in Duxbury
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about life with no more Bare Polar drysuits too. Has anyone tried the OS System drysuits? I like all the choices they give you. I definately want it breathable, with attached dry socks and maybe a relief zipper too, but I could go with the economy model with those added options.

I'm still trying to decide on the front zip. I've been using my wifes Kokatat front entry drysuit for a temp replacement for my busted Bare, and I find it difficult to operate the front entry by myself. Maybe it's just because it's small on me? I have a trick for my rear entry suit that makes it very easy to zip and unzip by myself as long as my truck is there.

On the other hand the O'Neal Hybrid is the safer suit and it's much cheaper.

JRuffus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are in the stone ages.

Buy a new Winter surfing suit. incredible flexible and warmer than you need. 6/5/4 with a built in hood. cheaper, warmer, more flexible...and they do NOT restrict the forearms like they did 10 years ago. i use an Excel Interlock 6/5/4 and it is incredible... toasty warm and comfy down to 20 degree ai ar 38 degree water.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRuffus wrote:
you guys are in the stone ages.

Buy a new Winter surfing suit. incredible flexible and warmer than you need. 6/5/4 with a built in hood. cheaper, warmer, more flexible...and they do NOT restrict the forearms like they did 10 years ago. i use an Excel Interlock 6/5/4 and it is incredible... toasty warm and comfy down to 20 degree ai ar 38 degree water.

Looks interesting. I think I might go with a winter wetsuit the next time, so I can use it for surfing as well. Do you like the attached hood? I thought it could be annoying for windsurfing, since you have your head facing slightly either side at all times.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: