myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long distance voyage or big downwind stories/suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Long distance voyage or big downwind stories/suggestions Reply with quote

I'm eager to try a long distance windsurf voyage (5-10 miles) and am curious to know people's stories/cautionary tales, etc.

I'm thinking about doing a Pt Judith to Block Island or Ned's point to West Falmouth.

What are the recommendations as far as safety, communications equipment, etc?

Would like to hear the stories.

DC
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you might try it in the summer!

BI to PJ has been done, on windsurfers sups jetskis catamarans and sunfish etc...

Why not do the race round Martha's vineyard?

It's all good till the wind dies

Why not SUP the Cape Cod Bay Challenge?

shredbob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I like to do Ned's to Falmouth/Woods Hole. It's exhilarating to be out there in the middle of Buzzards Bay on a brilliant sunny day, taking in the sights and waving to the sailboats as I speed by.

I do it on a board I can uphaul but not so big as to be bouncy (105 - 120 liters), sually in 6.5 or 7.4 wind (for a 165 pounder). Occasionally I go on my 144 liter/85cm wide board but the danger is that the wind can come up too much for the board to be fun in the Buzzards Bay chop.

I only feel comfortable doing this 16 mile round trip because I've become so familiar with the Bay that I know its moods. I've had a lot of practice at predicting its thermal winds, and I know when to go or when not to. I go when it's SW wind, sunny, in early to mid afternoon to be in the fully developed thermal winds. I abort if I see any organized clouds on the horizon. I'm keenly aware of the overall weather situation of the day, and choose only low risk times to cross. I've worked my way up over the years, going out further and further into the Bay, before doing crossings on a smaller 105 - 120 liter board.

Before I was in tune with the local Buzzards Bay conditions I was out 3 miles one afternoon with a 7.5 and 115 liter board on a sunny SW wind day, The the wind started dropping. I started for shore only to find the wind dropping to zero. In zero wind and rolling chop it was difficult to stay balanced on this sized board. I fell in many times, not making any progress. Luckily a friend on shore knew I was out there and sent the harbormaster out for me. As they gave me a ride in I could see that the wind had shifted to NW as we got closer in. Lesson learned. The wind had been light and puffy and a full thermal was not in place that day. An early NW wind had shifted to SW but not strongly. This allowed a weak trough/wind shift to come in from the northwest in the afternoon and shift the wind back to NW. I've since learned how to know when a good quality thermal is in place. With a good thermal I know I can count on the Bay to hold off a weak trough from swinging through until very late in the day at least.

Another time more recently I was coming back from Woods Hole in a nicely developed thermal. What I didn't realize was the wind was shifting from SW to WSW. I had been pinching upwind the whole time coming back anyway, and I would've been fine if I'd not made a navigating mistake. When I didn't recognize the shore features I thought I was upwind of Ned's. I purposely started heading downwind. Only when it was too late did I realize my mistake--I had been downwind of Ned's the whole time and now was way downwind. By this time I was in a relative wind shadow on the west side of the Bay (due to the now WSW wind) and could not make it back upwind to the launch. I ended up coming in at Planting Island in Marion, 3 miles away. The lesson learned here is that it's easy to get disoriented getting back to the starting point, especially if you make an assumption about your position when the wind has shifted. Now that I've had my "tour" of the west side Buzzards Bay inlets I'm better prepared for the future though!

My thoughts on safety:
- I do this when the water is warmer and the days are longer, like summer or early fall.
- Someone on shore should know of the plan. (I've been guilty of winging it at times as my comfort level has increased, hoping that those back on shore would not get too concerned or too unconcerned of my whereabouts. This is not really safe for me or fair to them.)
- Probably a VHF should be carried. This way, unnecessary rescue efforts can be avoided, if I need to land on a different shore for instance. In the case of a real emergency, such as equipment breakage, a rescue can be requested.
- A signal mirror would help someone find me if a rescue is needed. We are just not that visible from a distance, even if our sail is raised.
- An on the fly adjustable outhaul setup is helpful to be able to tune to the varying conditions across such a large distance.
- Getting a "cushion" upwind before staring across is a good idea when on a smaller board that doesn't tack upwind well. Also, trying out the wind for awhile to "get a feel for the day" is recommended before starting across.
From Ned's, I usually start out by working my way upwind to Nye Ledge, marked by green gong #1, which gives me a nice safety cushion upwind of the launch. At this point I'm 2 miles away from the launch and can sail in the full force of the mid Bay winds for awhile, experiencing the reliability of the wind and how well my gear is set up for the conditions. If all seems well then I go for it. From here it's 6 miles or so each way to get over to the Falmouth/Woods Hole area. If I'm planing the whole time, this takes about 20 minutes each way. It's really easy when things go well.
- I try not to feel invincible just because I've done the trip several times before and it was easy.

Bob
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a cell phone and a few safety supplies when I'm sailing off the beaten path by myself.

If you're going to do a long distance excursion post about it here before you go. Maybe you'll get some get some company. Downwinders are also fun!

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO crossings in New England aren't all that enticing in that the risks don't outweigh the rewards. You spend a lot of time on the water reaching just to touch down at another beach and return. Most people do it because they want to say they did it, not because it's any fun.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
IMHO crossings in New England aren't all that enticing in that the risks don't outweigh the rewards. You spend a lot of time on the water reaching just to touch down at another beach and return. Most people do it because they want to say they did it, not because it's any fun.

Your opinion is not humble but your brain appears to be. Crossings are fun precisely because they can be a challenge. I suggest you head directly east from your local Vero Beach ocean launch and sail until you hit land.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sailingjoe",
Please reply to the question ...
Do you agree to go to use one username on iwindsurf?

Failure to respond will be taken as a "no"

DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first...
Brucie you are without a doubt, an azzhole!
"If you don't have something constructive to say... stay away"

Everything Bob said, I second.
Bring along a friend, cell phone, some line and if you have one, a GPS.
Ned's is a great place for a crossing. There are few feelings like it and
you'll be rewarded in spades for your efforts. The whole trip on a decent SW
day is a 40 min cruise, but if you've never done one before, you be smiling ear to ear when you finish.

Hook up with one of the regulars if you find yourself there in the right conditions. A building SW, clear skies and leave before 2:00 pm. Ned's is notorious for shutting down around 4- 5:00 pm.

I'm alway up for a crossing. PM me for an e-mail address, and don't even think about it until next spring/summer.

See you on the water
Very Happy Dean

(and yes, Brucie, you are an irritating troll who I would encourage to rig up your 11 meter and try the China to Taiwan (Arnaud de Rosnay) crossing. Please.)

outcast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean
Please refer to him as "Scratchynuts" from now on.....Thanks

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish somebody would scratch them off. Maybe the nut would mellow then? Like an ox, right?

That sure was some find there with that video, outcast.

BTW, the downwinder on my bucket list includes going from Playalinda Beach off Titusville FL around Cape Canaveral and land at Cherie Down Park in the town of CC. Roughly, a 27 miler. Shoals off the Cape extend for miles. Oh, the surf rides down wind.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: