myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FL Keys gear rentals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dforstmann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: FL Keys gear rentals? Reply with quote

Question I'm going to be in Islamorada in February. Anyone have a recommendation on where to rent gear?
bimmertrader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: DELETE Reply with quote

DELETE

Last edited by bimmertrader on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
dforstmann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called there today (prior to to seeing your post) and I have to admit my loser alert went up talking to this guy. I was hoping maybe it was just that whole Jimmy Buffett mentality at work...
Anyway, I'm not sure what to do now since I'm flying & can't bring my stuff. Time to take up Kiteboarding?
bimmertrader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: DELETE Reply with quote

DELETE

Last edited by bimmertrader on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dforstmann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They claim to have new Ezzy sails but, again, I was unimpressed after my conversation with them. The guy was seemed to have an issue with the fact that I live in Connecticut.
I have been windsurfing since 1984 so I'm not too too concerned if the wind is offshore. I blew out my patellar tendon wakeboarding this summer so I thought I would look into something mellower than where I would usually go since my left leg is probably not going to be 100% by February.
Your commentary on the lack of windsurfing clients dovetails nicely with my parrot-head observation. I've always wondered why someone would move to the hurricane belt to avoid heating bills. Such a decision implies the same ignorance of statistics as one sees in regular lottery ticket "investors".
bimmertrader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: DELETE Reply with quote

DELETE

Last edited by bimmertrader on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimmertrader, I enjoyed your writing although the subject was rather depressing. Back in '01 after 9/11 I spent thanksgiving in Key West. I thought Marathon offered the best sailing opportunities, but if you had a launch Key West certainly looked interesting. However, as stated I didn't see anyone out on windsurfing equipment. Back some two decades ago, I knew a guy up in Tallahassee that used to go there to sail. He eventually found a job working for a Mfg.'er. He claimed the winds there were the best in Florida. It's a long drive to pick up equipment, but if you are renting a car, you may want to try a Miami location for rentals. here or there
Windaholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same experiance at Keys Windsurfing 2 years ago. Board selection was ok but I needed to dig through a pile of equipment to find a proper size sail,mast, boom etc. In the end I did get a decent Ezzy sail & rigged it myself. The guy working in the boat area was nice, but knew nothing about windsurfing. In the end,I did get a fun 6.5 session.

A far cry from the time I had in '88 in Key Largo and in Samethers Beach in Key West. Today the keys are the one place I see way more kites than sails. Windsurfing equipement is used more for decoration in bars than for sailing. I am amazed how conditions can be so good there and so few are taking advantage of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: